Guest Mike
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2807 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

In stretch position can the pitcher hold ball against hip before coming set?  Opposing coach complained that our pitcher cannot hold ball against pants before coming set.  Umpires gave my pitcher a warning for holding ball against pants.  I have never heard of that as being an issue for a pitcher.

16 answers to this question

1 hour ago, maven said:

The ball may be in his pitching hand or glove. The pitching arm must be at his side or behind his back. Those are the only restrictions. Same in all codes.

OBR does not require the pitching arm to be at the side. Only that one hand be at his side.

14 hours ago, udbrky said:

Yeah, just was curious about it. Wondered if that was the rule the umpire was thinking of with the warning.

In most leagues where the OP is going to be asked, the balls are so scuffed up that a little rubbing on the uniform is not going to matter.  In MLB, where even a single stitch out of place on the ball can give an advantage, it's a different matter.

In lower levels, many pitchers do actually rub the ball on their pants to get water/mud off the ball. Working with a limited number of baseballs, this is usually OK. Like above, deface the ball is an issue.

Generally in HS or below, minor issues with the ball are not a problem, as the pitchers don't know how to use it to their advantage. I have even had pitchers ask for a new ball if THEY found a scuff or knick in it. College and above, scuffs get thrown out.

I don't worry about a kid wiping the ball unless it appears to be a defacing thing. Don't make something out of nothing.

• Like 1