Mound meeting won't break up...

stl_ump
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2466 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

So...

After what I figure is a decent amount of time I head to the mound to break up the meeting of the coach and players.

"OK guys, let's play ball"  Coach makes no acknowledgment that I said anything (players looked at me so I know I was heard)  I say the same thing again and this time he looks at me but keeps on yapping.  "Time to play" a little more forcefully and he says, "yeah, yeah, yeah. Just a minute"  Just as I'm about to get really loud they break it up.

This got me to thinking what would you do if they pretty much ignored you and keep on yakking.

So...

After what I figure is a decent amount of time I head to the mound to break up the meeting of the coach and players.

"OK guys, let's play ball"  Coach makes no acknowledgment that I said anything (players looked at me so I know I was heard)  I say the same thing again and this time he looks at me but keeps on yapping.  "Time to play" a little more forcefully and he says, "yeah, yeah, yeah. Just a minute"  Just as I'm about to get really loud they break it up.

This got me to thinking what would you do if they pretty much ignored you and keep on yakking.

Time to charge a second conference... big deal in non FED rulesets

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

So what would the guidelines be?  After a second "warning / reminder"?

In non-FED, he gets to change his pitcher.

In FED, I'll charge a 3rd conference...

We can play this all day but at some point he will have a new pitcher and probably won't be around to watch him pitch at all...

2 hours ago, ALStripes17 said:

In non-FED, he gets to change his pitcher.

In FED, I'll charge a 3rd conference...

We can play this all day but at some point he will have a new pitcher and probably won't be around to watch him pitch at all...

On the hypothesis that the best available pitcher is probably in the game now, I'm not likely to pursue a course that leads to his removal.

I'd rather address the source of the problem directly and instruct the coach to end the conference/visit, then warn, then eject.

• Like 4

I'm not sure I'd proceed on the basis of your hypothesis. With pitching limits, rainouts causing crowded schedules and pitching shortages, you don't know if you are dealing with the ace or the catcher or a bench player thrust into pitching because there is no one else! But ej'ing the coach works for me--why punish the player because his coach is a jerk?

13 hours ago, maven said:

On the hypothesis that the best available pitcher is probably in the game now, I'm not likely to pursue a course that leads to his removal.

I'd rather address the source of the problem directly and instruct the coach to end the conference/visit, then warn, then eject.

Exactly.  Use the "interfering with the administration of the game" rule if you need a reference for this.

• 1 month later...

One of the guys I've worked with, would start walking slowly out to the mound from the plate, as soon as the coach got there. I asked him what he would do if he made it there? He said, that he never made it all the way there. One of his mentors suggested it, as a way of showing them that there is a limit. Visual usually works better. 

I have a routine for this situation. Coach asks for time, I give it, he starts walking out to the mound . 1)  Dust off the plate and then start walking toward the mound, 2) While walking toward the mound, 3) I take out the line up card, record the conference. By the time I get there the conf is usually breaking up. 

Depends on the situation.

90% of my conferences end without me moving from behind the plate.

When it's obvious the coach is out for non-coaching purposes, I start right for the mound, slowly.

What I don't do is clean an already-clean plate. I gave that nonsense up years ago.

I had this very same thing happen by an assistant coach a couple of years ago. Gave them ample time on the mound and walked out there to break it up. Told them let's go. No response or acknowledgement from the assistant. At first, I didn't think anything about it because usually they don't really say much anyway and will turn and walk off about the time you tell them to wrap it up. Well, I started to walk away because I thought the catcher was headed back too, and realized he wasn't and the coach wasn't moving. Told him again, "Let's go!" and he didn't do anything. I said, "Coach, we're finished here. Get back to the dugout." He told me something along the lines he wasn't done yet and would head back when he was finished. I was so caught off guard I wasn't thinking straight I guess. Normally I would have dumped him immediately (assistant coach telling me what he is/isn't going to do). Oh well, I stepped in the middle and broke them up. There was much more excitement to this story that I will not divulge, but the advice I was given was to eject an assistant after their second refusal not to leave. A little more rope for the head chief, but not for assistants I'd say.

Never had this happen but I do umpire with this thought. I come in peace but I prepare for war. If a coach is not going to stand down after you have asked him to do so, then he's just shown you up in front of his team and everyone else. You have to deal swiftly and strongly with this. I don't think adding a conference to the score is going to address this lack of respect this coach has shown you. Warn him, then dump him.

Coaches come out generally for three reasons. Calm down their pitcher. Give a relief pitcher more time to get ready. Not happy with the calls they have been getting. It's this last one that needs to get your bat senses tingling. Why else would he act like an ass. Don't give him much time if any out there on the mound if this is the case.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Guys,  lets pump the breaks just for a second here.  I'm going to assume that you have all done the following assuming its the first trip.  Granted time, dusted off the plate, recorded the conference, and taken a second to assess the situation. (is the coach heated with his guys, talking strategy, mad at you/partner/situation etc)  OK now you think he is stalling, or anything non aggressive.  Ok now you walk to the mound with line up out if you believe he is delaying the game.  Walk to the back of the mound and up so your right in the middle of everyone and look the man straight in the eye.  Now, assess what is going on again (trust me at this point he knows).  Now simply say, " what are we doing (john, dick, harry, etc) are you making a change?"  Wait for answer then if not... "ok great we need to get back to work, here we go"  If you can't get his attention after that then you can go to the hard ass lines.  This is not something that needs to be a soap box that we live or die and need to do paper work on.  Just my $0.02

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2016 at 8:01 AM, JamesC said:

Oh well, I stepped in the middle and broke them up.

Never, ever, ever, ever, ever step between the coach and his player(s) to break up a mound meeting.

Are you nuts?  That's OOO.  It's also likely to start something bad.

You have all these tools and rules at your disposal to warn, restrict, eject, start calling balls, and you're going to step between them?

Let them violate the rule.  Then enforce the consequence(s).

That would be like telling a coach he may not protest a game.

LET HIM PROTEST.  ALWAYS.  YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO PREVENT IT.

Let the protest committee tell him he may not protest (on the basis of it being a judgment call, etc.)  Hopefully he'll lose some money if it's a tournament.

Where in the rules does it say you can charge another conference?

3.4.1 Situation E is not necessarily the same; however, it shows we are allowed to charge extra conferences if there is some delay when play is to resume (case play has assistant talking to F3 at same time HC is talking to F1. Allowed as long as assistant does not delay)

3.4.1 Situation E is not necessarily the same; however, it shows we are allowed to charge extra conferences if there is some delay when play is to resume (case play has assistant talking to F3 at same time HC is talking to F1. Allowed as long as assistant does not delay)

Mmm not sure that applies.

• 9 months later...
On 7/1/2016 at 1:39 PM, stl_ump said:

So...

"Coach, what are we doing? Let's play ball" 

if no reply

"Coach, we need to get moving."

if no reply

"Coach, this is your warning. If you do not return to your dugout you will be restricted to your dugout."

if no reply

Restrict him to the dugout.