Starting From Scratch - Batter Disrupts Pitcher's Delivery

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2829 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Umpire DJ Reyburn's non-balk call on Boston's Rick Porcello in Tampa Bay was precisely the correct call when Rays batter Logan Morrison requested "time" after Porcello had already started his delivery, and Porcello henceforth stopped his natural pitching motion after seeing Morrison step back in...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

1 hour ago, maven said:

No: no pitch. By rule, this is a do-over, so it doesn't matter when or whether he called time.

Yes it does. If I don't grant the batter time and a legal pitch is delivered I call the pitch in OBR, and, I think NCAA, and I call a strike in FED.

2 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

Yes it does. If I don't grant the batter time and a legal pitch is delivered I call the pitch in OBR, and, I think NCAA, and I call a strike in FED.

You're not understanding me: "this" = batter steps out without getting time, and F1 balks. And "this" is a do-over by rule.

I had exactly this happen in a tournament game a few years ago. I was PU. I had the pitcher and batter reset. OC came out and asked about it (he wanted  balk), and nearly got himself tossed after I explained it. Among other things, he said there are no do-overs. hahaha. I don't think he ever believed me when I said that was the rule, but we moved on. (Of course, saying there are no-overs was not the reason he almost got tossed.)

No pitch. Batter steps out without time + balk = no pitch, do-over.

I believe Stk is asking if a pitch was still delivered without any balk, what would the result be...

The answer is, call the pitch what it is in THAT scenario.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, ALStripes17 said:

I believe Stk is asking if a pitch was still delivered without any balk, what would the result be...

You might be right: he asked the question multiple times in the thread and got the same answer each time, but that's happened here before. If he meant something different, he might have rephrased. As it is possible to pitch after a balk, I interpreted him as asking whether we call a strike to penalize the batter.

The rationale for a do-over is that both teams have violated, so we reset and go again without penalizing either, similar to a double foul in football or basketball. Obviously that wouldn't apply when only 1 team violates, so I guess that's why I interpreted the question as I did — to make it make more sense.

• Like 1

Alstripes has my intent correct, I apologize if I was not clear, I guess I understood that a legal pitch could not be delivered if a balk was called.

So yes, if the F1 had delivered a legal pitch, without interruption in his delivery, then if the ball was in the zone, it's called a strike.  My question is a slight alteration to what occurs in the video.

With no balk, just a legal pitch, all we have is a batter leaving the box without requesting time.

The penalty for that differs by code. In OBR, you call the pitch. At youth levels, we should also tell the batter not to do that.