Paul Emmel

rjt6
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2831 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Why isn't there more talk about using a catcher's style helmet and mask?  This would seem to prevent some errant bat injuries (granted not as much protection to the side of the head) but also fare better in the concussion department vs. a bucket.

Catchers wear the helmet with a forward facing brim now a days too, so I don't think it should necessarily be disqualified because of the backwards facing brim. 

2 hours ago, maven said:

What kind of talk are you looking for? Some guys choose the bucket for the extra protection it affords. Others are traditionalists and don't need their brains. :shrug:

:D

I mean something like this http://www.baseballrampage.com/Baseball/Protective-Equipment/5220/CFPBH-Vented-Pro-Base-Coach-Helmet.html paired with the traditional mask.  Seems like a good compromise between the old school v. new school way (granted it doesn't protect the sides of the head as well).

5 hours ago, heyoh said:

I mean something like this http://www.baseballrampage.com/Baseball/Protective-Equipment/5220/CFPBH-Vented-Pro-Base-Coach-Helmet.html paired with the traditional mask.  Seems like a good compromise between the old school v. new school way (granted it doesn't protect the sides of the head as well).

And you wouldn't need to worry about sweat stains or diamond dust sullying the appearance or rain showers shrinking it.

Guys, I just finished three youth games at the Indians' spring training facility. Game two behind the plate I hear "heads up" from another field and I get dome rocked by a foul ball. I yelled to my partner, "that's another reason I wear the Hockey style".

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

How does that ball get past the backstop and hit you at HP?  No typical fenced backstop?

Happens all the time here. They come from above. Foul balls in a quad-complex are always falling on other fields. Had one narrowly miss me today in C.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

@stkjock, you're from the Northeast, where real estate is at a premium, and when envisioned and executed, typically doesn't afford for mega-plexes like these:

hess-sports-fields-complex-slide-4.jpg

10-East-Cobb-Baseball-Complex.jpg

NEWCDPAerial.jpg

This last one is particularly close to (current) home:
InfinityFields.jpg

That lower quad is 50-70 combination softball and 12U baseball fields. The backstops are high, but the PU can take one step back and lean against the fence. As you can see, the dugouts are the blue tents beyond 1B/3B on each field, and the fans are on teeny-tiny bleachers (or worse, they bring their own folding chairs) and pack in the concourses between the blue tented dugouts and the plate. I frequently work on Field #5, which is the left 60-90 in the photo, and we rain baseballs down upon the outfields of Fields 3 & 4.

And this, good people, is how we tournament umpires get in 6-8 games per day on a weekend.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, stkjock said:

We have some set ups like that.  I'm just used to backstops like this, where the plate would be protected.  

(Photo of backstop)

Ah, the "amphitheater" or "clamshell" backstops. We have a few similar, but instead of fencing it is netting. The sentiment is the same – catchers and umpires hate them. They eliminate otherwise easy outs and prolong at-bats.

6 minutes ago, MadMax said:

Ah, the "amphitheater" or "clamshell" backstops. We have a few similar, but instead of fencing it is netting. The sentiment is the same – catchers and umpires hate them. They eliminate otherwise easy outs and prolong at-bats.

yea, I hear you on the outs, but when you have a field like this, with homes and a parking lot withing a short distance of the field, they are needed, around here they are somewhat the norm.

dsc_0438.jpg

dsc_0454.jpg

How does that ball get past the backstop and hit you at HP?  No typical fenced backstop?

This is a major league spring training complex. The fields are not right on top of each other and the backstops are huge. The ball has to travel high enough to clear both fields backstops and was travelling very fast when it hit me. Without the HSM, I would have been severely injured.

15 hours ago, stkjock said:

yea, I hear you on the outs, but when you have a field like this, with homes and a parking lot withing a short distance of the field, they are needed, around here they are somewhat the norm.

dsc_0438.jpg

dsc_0454.jpg

What a nightmare field. Both coaches basically standing next to you while still in their dugouts.  :o

• Like 1

dsc_0438.jpg

dsc_0454.jpg

What a nightmare field. Both coaches basically standing next to you while still in their dugouts.  

I wouldn't want the benches eavesdropping on my private conversations with the catchers. Plus, anything fouled back or up is going to come back and bite you.

6 hours ago, Richvee said:

What a nightmare field. Both coaches basically standing next to you while still in their dugouts.  :o

I just realized these pics must be a few years old, not that is a big difference, but the fences are extended now past the dugout and kick back to sort of lock,in the dugout some.  The managers seem to gravitate to the far end and not be on top of the plate  

3 hours ago, KenBAZ said:

What a nightmare field. Both coaches basically standing next to you while still in their dugouts.  emoji33.png

I wouldn't want the benches eavesdropping on my private conversations with the catchers. Plus, anything fouled back or up is going to come back and bite you.

I see your point, never seen it happen, I'm sure it has.