Obstruction at Home Plate

Mad Mike
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2865 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I used this very clip for training this past HS season.

Clearly OBS for FED, which I'd have to guess is the applicable code. The conversation was not handled well (watch the PU's body language after his partner talks to him and he changes his call).

For OBR you can still get OBS here, as F2 set up to block the runner. Because he was not forced to move there in order to field the throw, he's not entitled to the "in the act of fielding the throw" exception, and it's OBS.

Contrast this play, which is also OBS in FED, but is NOT for OBR, as F2 moved into the runner's path in order to field the throw.

23 minutes ago, maven said:

I used this very clip for training this past HS season.

Clearly OBS for FED, which I'd have to guess is the applicable code. The conversation was not handled well (watch the PU's body language after his partner talks to him and he changes his call).

Hi didn't change his call.  The initial call was obstruction and he stayed with that call.  You can see him pointing the obstruction with his left hand and then awarding home to the runner with his right hand.  He's clearly pointing at the plate to make the award.  Don't listen to the idiot fans who claimed that he called the runner out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grayhawk said:

Hi didn't change his call.  The initial call was obstruction and he stayed with that call.  You can see him pointing the obstruction with his left hand and then awarding home to the runner with his right hand.  He's clearly pointing at the plate to make the award.  Don't listen to the idiot fans who claimed that he called the runner out.

Yeah, that makes more sense of the fact that the same coach is on him, before and after he talks to his partner. I wonder what his hang-dog body language is about in that case.

22 hours ago, Mad Mike said:

Do you agree with the umpire's call in this clip? I have no idea if the rule set they are using is FED, OBR, or something else though.

OBS all day!