Register or Sign In to remove these ads
rzanew

Cheering or Jeering?

rzanew    0

Many of the youth league teams I work (10U/12U) cheer or chant when their team is at bat.  Generally, they are supportive of their team.  However there is one chant that I have been shutting down, as IMO, this is directed specifically at a player on the other team.

The chant goes: "3-2 what you gonna do, walk him, walk him".  

I tell the coach that in my opinion this is directed at the pitcher and is unsportsmanlike.  They can cheer on their own team, but anything directed at the opponents is verboten.

Am I being an OOO?  Opinions?

Register or Sign In to remove these ads
grayhawk    3,142

I agree with you.  Comments and chants directed at an opponent only lead to poor outcomes.  Shut it down early and often.  

• Like 1

maven    3,888
6 minutes ago, grayhawk said:

Shut it down early and often

FIFY.

If it has to be done often, we're doing it wrong. ;)

grayhawk    3,142
2 minutes ago, maven said:

FIFY.

If it has to be done often, we're doing it wrong. ;)

Don't be such a stickler!  Yes, I saw your emoji.

• Like 1

Mudder    32

I agree, I get grief sometimes when I shut down the cheer from the defense to F1 to the effect "C'mon get this guy, he's a looker he ain't swinging"  

Rich Ives    956
16 minutes ago, ousafe said:

How do you manage it if they don't stop?  I.e. what consequences come into play?

Tell the manager to read the rule that says repeatedly breaking the rule is grounds for a forfeit.

• Like 1

kylejt    518

LoL at you guys who've never umpired girls softball, or varsity baseball. You need to get out more, fellas, as this is a normal thing.

ALStripes17    556
LoL at you guys who've never umpired girls softball, or varsity baseball. You need to get out more, fellas, as this is a normal thing.

This isn't about getting out more often. It's about the various rulesets over-legislating our jobs on the field. If there is a rule that covers it, and an opposing coach chooses to pick that rule to whine about, then we aren't doing our jobs as prescribed.

For the record, I do understand what you are saying but our hands become tied with the various associations and douche-monster tournament directors...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Rich Ives    956
7 hours ago, kylejt said:

Not normal in baseball where I live.

basejester    395

It's true that softball has a lot of annoying cheers.  There's nothing about that experience that makes me want to import that behavior into baseball.

LRZ    122

I had a strange experience several weeks ago, working a LL district play-off. Both teams were cheering their own players in a perfectly sportsman-like manner. But the game administrator announced that once the pitcher had started his delivery, cheering was not permitted. So we had moments of raucous cheering that stopped abruptly, followed by eerie silences (not even the parents were saying anything!), followed by raucous cheering once the ball was in play. It was like someone was toying with a volume/mute button.

Very odd.

stkjock    272
20 minutes ago, LRZ said:

I had a strange experience several weeks ago, working a LL district play-off. Both teams were cheering their own players in a perfectly sportsman-like manner. But the game administrator announced that once the pitcher had started his delivery, cheering was not permitted. So we had moments of raucous cheering that stopped abruptly, followed by eerie silences (not even the parents were saying anything!), followed by raucous cheering once the ball was in play. It was like someone was toying with a volume/mute button.

Very odd.

IIRC - there's a rule in the green book about cheering and the start of the pitcher's motion?

Rich Ives    956
29 minutes ago, LRZ said:

Very odd.

GA was wrong.

kylejt    518

What you can't do is something intended to induce a balk/illegal pitch. Stop that, but don't go down the other path of wanting the pitcher to have golf putting silence. That's just creepy.

kylejt    518
On 7/20/2017 at 6:04 AM, basejester said:

It's true that softball has a lot of annoying cheers.  There's nothing about that experience that makes me want to import that behavior into baseball.

It's not our call, though.

basejester    395
8 hours ago, kylejt said:

It's not our call, though.

LL 4.06 - No manager, coach or player, shall at any time, whether from the bench or the playing field or elsewhere -

(2)     use language which will in any manner refer to or reflect upon opposing players, manager, coach, an umpire or spectators;

kylejt    518
20 hours ago, basejester said:

LL 4.06 - No manager, coach or player, shall at any time, whether from the bench or the playing field or elsewhere -

(2)     use language which will in any manner refer to or reflect upon opposing players, manager, coach, an umpire or spectators;

"He might be bunting, here"

"He's really fast, let's watch for the steal"

"Back up, he hit it over your head last time"

all refer to the opposing players. Where shall we draw the line?

basejester    395
4 hours ago, kylejt said:

"He might be bunting, here"

"He's really fast, let's watch for the steal"

"Back up, he hit it over your head last time"

all refer to the opposing players. Where shall we draw the line?

I'd draw it with all of those examples on the legal side.  If you have a problem, this is a rule available to use to solve it.

Richvee    1,724
On 07/21/2017 at 8:49 PM, basejester said:

[

(2)     use language which will in any manner refer to or reflect  [negatively] upon opposing players, manager, coach, an umpire or spectators;

To @kylejt 's point....Actually pretty surprised they omitted a word here.

kylejt    518

As to referring to spectators, when my partner puts three fingers on his left shoulder (check out the Mom in third row, left side), do I eject him?

• Like 1