Play in LSU-CCU game

Gfoley4
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2866 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I was watching this live and it was a crazy play. I can't find a good video link of it but I found a short gif of it showing what happened. R1/R2 0 out. F4 catches a throw after a bunt but then gets hit by B/R and looses the ball. U1 immediately rules "safe" and ball trickles away. Do you guys agree with the call?

Also, after the B/R flips over, he stays on the ground for a while past 1B. There's another angle that shows that he didn't hit first base on his way by. If F4 went over and tagged him and said he missed first it'd be an out, correct? I guess the only problem with this would be that time would have been called was he was injured and there wouldn't have been enough time to appeal.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

to my viewing, it appears runners toe tapped the bag just as the collision occurs.

so this is an example of a "train wreck", incidental contact, couldn't really be avoided by either player?

58 minutes ago, stkjock said:

to my viewing, it appears runners toe tapped the bag just as the collision occurs.

so this is an example of a "train wreck", incidental contact, couldn't really be avoided by either player?

The runner was in a legal position. What would you call him for?

The video doesn't show when the ball arrived, so I can't tell how long the ball was in F4's glove. If F4 had secure possession and then the collision knocked it loose, then BR might be out. I can't tell from the video. 

1 hour ago, Rich Ives said:

The runner was in a legal position. What would you call him for?

nothing, hence my question, to my still learning mind, both players were in a legal position and just "in the wrong place at the wrong time" so to speak.

3 hours ago, ricka56 said:

The video doesn't show when the ball arrived, so I can't tell how long the ball was in F4's glove. If F4 had secure possession and then the collision knocked it loose, then BR might be out. I can't tell from the video. 

This is NCAA. This can't be an out unless the offense did something illegal to knock the ball out.

2 hours ago, Matt said:

This is NCAA. This can't be an out unless the offense did something illegal to knock the ball out.

As I said, I can't tell from the video how soon/late the throw arrived, but say that this fielder gloved the GB, securely had it in his glove, touched 1B with his foot and then the collision knocked it loose, are you saying that wouldn't be an out ? Cite the rule difference, please. 

5 minutes ago, ricka56 said:

As I said, I can't tell from the video, but say that this fielder gloved the GB, securely had it in his glove, touched 1B with his foot and then the collision knocked it loose, are you saying that wouldn't be an out ? Cite the rule difference, please. 

Tag
SECTION 76. The action of a fielder in touching a base with any part of the
body while holding the ball securely and firmly in the hand or glove or touching
a runner with the ball or with the glove while holding the ball securely and
firmly in that hand or glove. The fielder shall maintain or regain control of his
body and if he drops the ball due to his lack of body control or control of the
ball, it is not a tag. A voluntary and intentional release is substantive proof of
complete control.

1 hour ago, Jimurray said:

Tag
SECTION 76. The action of a fielder in touching a base with any part of the
body while holding the ball securely and firmly in the hand or glove or touching
a runner with the ball or with the glove while holding the ball securely and
firmly in that hand or glove.
The fielder shall maintain or regain control of his
body and if he drops the ball due to his lack of body control or control of the
ball, it is not a tag.
A voluntary and intentional release is substantive proof of
complete control.

That was what I was describing. That what is not really a rule interp difference for a runner tag but it is interesting that NCAA seems to extend it to a base tag as well. Though it seems punitive to say that he lost control of his body post base touch because of a violent collision. A voluntary and intentional release is substantive proof of complete control, <but the converse isn't stated...an involuntary release is not proof of no control/no tag> <my addition.>

I doubt the play would be an out in any code, but without seeing how F4 received the ball, I can't tell. If NCAA wants to extend the possession time needed post collision on a base tag, that's wild.