Did I handle This Correctly?

The Winning Run
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2471 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Was not sure where to put this story. I worked an adult league game tonight, and need to know if I handled the game properly.

A little background. I worked a game 2 weeks ago for the home team. The Managers' brother of the home team is playing SS and is continually questioned literally every call I made in that game until he announced I was trying to have the other team win because they are white. Home team was all African-American Visiting team was all white. Middle of the game I have had enough and tell him to stop and warn him. He is quiet the rest of the game. Home team comes back and wins in their last at bat.

Fast forward to tonight. Home team is back for more. Again Home team is all African-American, visiting team is all white. I am working the game solo. My zone is good, very consistent. No complaints from the visiting team. Bot 3rd it is 19-0 Visiting team. My league has a 20 run mercy rule after 3 innings. Bot 3rd 3-0 count pitch right down the middle, a pitching machine couldn't have thrown a better pitch, I call strike 1 as the batter tosses the bat to head to first. Batter walks to pick up the bat talking about how in all the years they have played that pitch has never been a strike. I ignore. Two batters latter batter hits a bouncing ball down 3rd base line. Ball stays fair, bouncing once after it had passed the bag before going foul. I signal fair ball. LF and 3B are shocked. Pitcher and SS start talking about how I am giving this game away again. I tell them that is enough. Both P and SS ask who I am talking to, before I can respond the Manager is heading my way yelling that I am not suppose to talk to them but to him. I try to inform the Manager what I had but he continued to yell at me before walking away. Bottom of the 4th, it is 21-2. 15 run mercy rule if the home team does not score 4 more runs. 2 outs, 1-1 count. Pitch comes in at the top of the zone. I call strike, 1-2. Managers brother from the other game takes about 3 steps out of the dugout with his hand held at his eyes yelling the ball is here, motioning. I put up the stop sign and tell him to get back in the dugoyut and that is his warning. Next pitch batter popouts out, ball game over.

I did my best to ignore, but they started bringing up a previous game and suggesting I was actively trying to make them lose. Which let's be honest they didn't need my help to lose tonight. The race card was not used tonight directly, but it was hinted at. The demonstartion of the pitch at the eyes after coming out of the dugout definitely needed a warning, but what about an ejection. I did not eject him because I felt it better to just get the game over than to potentially start an argument. I feel that they tried to get personal at least twice as well as argue balls and strikes.

Did I handle the game and the home team properly. What should I have done differently?

I am dedicated to improving. I usually start about 15-20 minutes after my last game of the night to work on my physical mechanics. On the nights I do not have games I spend about 30 minutes rereading the rule book.

1.  Don't work solo for adult baseball.  Ever.  It's a lion's den, and you should never be there alone.

2.  In the 'background' game, you let the SS stay in the game way too long.  Letting him 'continually' question everything, you basically told him that he could say anything.  But the moment he went racial, you DEFINITELY should have tossed him.

3.  In the main game, the manage, depending on what he said, should have gone. 

4.  Manager's brother should have probably gone.  Demonstrating?  Leaving his position to argue balls and strikes?  Textbook.

5.  If they DID try to get personal at least twice, then someone should have gone each time.

My opinions.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The Winning Run said:

A little background. I worked a game 2 weeks ago for the home team. The Managers' brother of the home team is playing SS and is continually questioned literally every call I made in that game until he announced I was trying to have the other team win because they are white. This should not go unchallenged. At the risk of starting a race riot. I would demand a retraction of his assertion that I was a cheat. If one was not sincerely given, he would be ejected. Home team was all African-American Visiting team was all white. Middle of the game I have had enough and tell him to stop and warn him. He is quiet the rest of the game. Home team comes back and wins in their last at bat.

Fast forward to tonight. Home team is back for more. Again Home team is all African-American, visiting team is all white. I am working the game solo. My zone is good, very consistent. No complaints from the visiting team. Bot 3rd it is 19-0 Visiting team. My league has a 20 run mercy rule after 3 innings. Bot 3rd 3-0 count pitch right down the middle, a pitching machine couldn't have thrown a better pitch, I call strike 1 as the batter tosses the bat to head to first. Batter walks to pick up the bat talking about how in all the years they have played that pitch has never been a strike. I ignore. Two batters latter batter hits a bouncing ball down 3rd base line. Ball stays fair, bouncing once after it had passed the bag before going foul. I signal fair ball. LF and 3B are shocked. Pitcher and SS start talking about how I am giving this game away again. This should not go unchallenged. At the risk of starting a race riot. I would demand a retraction of his assertion that I was a cheat. If one was not sincerely given, he would be ejected. I tell them that is enough. Both P and SS ask who I am talking to, before I can respond the Manager is heading my way yelling that I am not suppose to talk to them but to him. Coach, don't tell me how to run this game. If someone is accusing me of cheating, we ARE going to have words.  I try to inform the Manager what I had but he continued to yell at me before walking away. Bottom of the 4th, it is 21-2. 15 run mercy rule if the home team does not score 4 more runs. 2 outs, 1-1 count. Pitch comes in at the top of the zone. I call strike, 1-2. Managers brother from the other game takes about 3 steps out of the dugout with his hand held at his eyes yelling the ball is here, motioning. IMO, you have completely lost control of this game. By allowing them to get away with calling you a cheat, they think that they can get away with anything. I put up the stop sign and tell him to get back in the dugoyut and that is his warning. Next pitch batter popouts out, ball game over.

I did my best to ignore, but they started bringing up a previous game and suggesting I was actively trying to make them lose. This should not go unchallenged. At the risk of starting a race riot. I would demand a retraction of his assertion that I was a cheat. If one was not sincerely given, he would be ejected. Which let's be honest they didn't need my help to lose tonight. The race card was not used tonight directly, but it was hinted at. The demonstartion of the pitch at the eyes after coming out of the dugout definitely needed a warning, but what about an ejection.  I did not eject him because I felt it better to just get the game over than to potentially start an argument. I feel that they tried to get personal at least twice as well as argue balls and strikes. 

Did I handle the game and the home team properly. What should I have done differently?

I am dedicated to improving. I usually start about 15-20 minutes after my last game of the night to work on my physical mechanics. On the nights I do not have games I spend about 30 minutes rereading the rule book.

As you might realize, I would not allow anyone to call me a cheat and stay in the ballgame. If you can not defend your integrity, then you can not control a game. I am not trying to discourage an umpire willing to learn, but if the prospect of defending your integrity is too intimidating, then it may be time to find another hobby.

If you can look them straight in the eye and demand a retraction of their cheating accusation you might gain their respect. But if you are up against people that cry racism every time the paperboy is late delivering their newspaper, then you might want to find another place to work.

There are distinctions to be made between disagreeing with calls and accusing you of cheating and being a racist. In addition, leaving the dugout and demonstrating against a ball strike call is disrespectful to the umpires authority. Men's S leagues can be tough anytime especially solo but you have to draw the line early or you'll hear it from both sides all game. The next crew that has that team is going to find it difficult to rein them in.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 6/3/2016 at 8:36 PM, The Winning Run said:

until he announced I was trying to have the other team win because they are white.

Racial comment!  Accusing you of bias. Eject immediately. WTF?  What would you have if the situation was reversed and all White team accused you of the opposite?

There's NO SUCH THING as reverse racism. It's racism coming the AA team.

Did I handle the game and the home team properly.

No. 

What should I have done differently?

Get control early, tell the HC you're not tolerating all the comments from the SS or from ANYONE accusing you of bias. 

On 6/3/2016 at 10:56 PM, ricka56 said:

This should not go unchallenged. At the risk of starting a race riot. I would demand a retraction of his assertion that I was a cheat. If one was not sincerely given, he would be ejected.

Bull feathers.  Toss 'em. 

Totally agree with KenBaz. You handed the problem to the next crew. 

Agreed, NEVER work adult ball solo.  It is as close to a no-win, consummate misery situation as you can get as an umpire. (Toss up with Daddy-coach tournament ball.)

They double whammied you by accusing you of being a cheat AND a racist.  No way, no how that player is staying.  In fact, if you ever repeat the mistake of working adult ball solo, I would argue that you should have a shorter leash than usual.  Paraphrasing @BigUmpire toss one, watch the other 99 fall into line.

I am hesitant to agree with Ken about handing the next crew a problem.  IMHO, depends on the crew.  If Ken and his crew were working the next game, that home team might be the one in for the problem.

Learn from the experience and just keep working to get better.  Sounds like you have a great attitude.

"Good judgment comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgment."

• Like 1

I don't always work adult league (not any more) but when I do, I always have a partner. I have had more ejections in adult ball than in any other levels I work combined. You MUST control them or they will control you, and they can be vicious. Don't allow any commentary on your calls at all. Shut down chirping immediately. No discussion about the strike zone. The comment about not talking to the players by the manager should have been immediately answered by ejecting the manager, who is just out there to harass you... This is pretty much a jungle situation, you are either the predator or the prey.

Funny, the other night I had a MSBL game as my first game back from the surgeries. I had a Manager I didn't know commenting on every call on the bases. In the 2nd he came out on a pickoff attempt and I refused to go to my partner on it. After the inning was over he started out to my position in short right to continue to argue the call. I just sent him back to the dugout and told him the play was over, he'd had his chance to ask questions and we were no longer talking about it. Of course, the next batter is out on a wacker at 1st and from the 3rd base coaches' box I hear, "well you know why you're out". Between Innings he's back in the dugout and saying loud enough for me to hear, "you have to have some character, where is your ethics, show some backbone".

I walked to the dugout and warned him if he continued to question my impartiality, ethics or character he would no longer be a part of the contest. I was very direct and did not allow him to argue further. I told him he'd had his warning and walked away. (I wish I had not been so angry when I delivered the message but that's for me to work on.) In any case, we had no further problems with either side. I don't know what the last crew this team had was willing to put up with but I'm willing to bet the next crew that gets these guys will have an easier time of it.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KenBAZ said:

Funny, the other night I had a MSBL game as my first game back from the surgeries. I had a Manager I didn't know commenting on every call on the bases. In the 2nd he came out on a pickoff attempt and I refused to go to my partner on it. After the inning was over he started out to my position in short right to continue to argue the call. I just sent him back to the dugout and told him the play was over, he'd had his chance to ask questions and we were no longer talking about it. Of course, the next batter is out on a wacker at 1st and from the 3rd base coaches' box I hear, "well you know why you're out". Between Innings he's back in the dugout and saying loud enough for me to hear, "you have to have some character, where is your ethics, show some backbone".

I walked to the dugout and warned him if he continued to question my impartiality, ethics or character he would no longer be a part of the contest. I was very direct and did not allow him to argue further. I told him he'd had his warning and walked away. (I wish I had not been so angry when I delivered the message but that's for me to work on.) In any case, we had no further problems with either side. I don't know what the last crew this team had was willing to put up with but I'm willing to bet the next crew that gets these guys will have an easier time of it.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I rest my case.

I do a significant number of Adult league baseball games (MSBL, NABA, AZHispL, etc.), and my Ejection total for these games is still a whopping Zero.

A substantial, yet intangible, component of any success I have in officiating these games is because I used to play collegiate basketball (and Adult league beyond), used to play competitive baseball, and still play competitive soccer. I fully understand the context of whatever game we're playing, and frequently project that into situations, even going so far as to remind players of this context should they lose sight of it.

Another component is the physical nature of it: I'm 6'2", 210, athletic, but don't look like a bruiser, brawler or hardass. I look like I play(ed) the game, so I can sell that that is a strike, for example. I show up on time, hustle when appropriate, and keep my timing, calls, and mechanics consistent to professional expectations (get to the best possible position, get to best angle, and don't have this weird, quirky, overly-embellished mechanic or outlandish call that can be construed as "grandstanding"). I also don't interact with anyone on a familiar, buddy-buddy level prior to the game or during the game anywhere other than in the HP area and/or 1B (I certainly don't go anywhere near either teams' dugout other than to briefly get water, should I run out). I'm also a fairly jovial, humorous and conversational guy – I can diffuse and deflect most brooding dissent or animosity by not feeding into it (don't poke the bear, so to speak; also, if you have a powderkeg situation, why smoke?). Granted, I've only been here in Arizona for a year, so I may not know a great deal of the participants (and they aren't that familiar with me), but I had similar experiences back in Wisconsin.

I know the Rules, but I don't quote chapter and verse to these guys. So too, I don't walk onto the field with the pin already pulled on the Ejection Grenade (sibling to the Holy Hand Grenade), waving it around and toying with, "So who wants to try me?".

I will never tell one of you you handled a MSBL game wrong; I'll simply say that there are ways they can be handled better, and here are some of my experiences. Heck, if given the choice, I'd rather do a MSBL game instead of a 10U Little League game, despite the... similarities. ;)

• Like 4

@MadMax makes a good point.  How you look, how you conduct yourself and especially how much you hustle saves you a lot of grief.  I wonder how often coaches and players are thinking when I'm umpiring... "well he screwed up that call but he's sure busting his A**!".  :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...