basketball

BRUMP
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2156 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

so i signed up for the cadet class for HS basketball in the fall. few questions for the guys who work both (know theres a few here), any docs that you have that could be beneficial to me? also as i credit this forum for the vast majority of my umpiring skills any good resources such as this for basketball?

Forum.officiating.com has an active basketball forum with some very knowledgeable officials there. You may even recognize a few familiar names.

Good luck! I worked basketball for a few years and I think it did a lot for helping me see and process plays. It's also a great exercise in game management.

Good Luck!

You may find it hard to transition back to baseball in the spring - the first few games will feel like they take forever as the game moves slower.

While the games are very different (and I love the dichotomy of it) many of the same principles apply - good timing, good judgement, good game management.  I found that having a few seasons of baseball under my belt when I started basketball really helped put me ahead of many of the other inexperienced basketball officials.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/2/2016 at 5:29 AM, Welpe said:

Forum.officiating.com has an active basketball forum with some very knowledgeable officials there. You may even recognize a few familiar names.

Good luck! I worked basketball for a few years and I think it did a lot for helping me see and process plays. It's also a great exercise in game management.

I second this, a lot of good rules talk and experienced officials that post there. I've worked basketball for about 15 years, longer than I've done baseball. Personally, I much prefer officiating basketball even though baseball is my favorite sport.They are very different animals; you'll definitely get experience in game management in basketball. You're a lot more interactive with the participants in basketball; you'll talk to the players and coaches a lot. I like the constant action, makes it easier for me to keep my head in the game. That can be a struggle in the field in baseball sometimes. Go to a few games and watch the officials, see how they rotate, where they set up on the floor, how they report fouls etc. That's what I did and it helped me prepare for when I stepped out there myself. 

Also don't make a rookie mistake, buy a Fox 40 whistle. 

• 3 months later...
On 6/2/2016 at 4:10 AM, udbrky said:

IMO, basketball will make you a better umpire.

I couldn't agree more. I have done football, basketball, and volleyball, and I feel that all three have made me a better softball umpire.

• 1 year later...
On 6/2/2016 at 7:19 AM, pnewton said:

Good Luck!

You may find it hard to transition back to baseball in the spring - the first few games will feel like they take forever as the game moves slower.

While the games are very different (and I love the dichotomy of it) many of the same principles apply - good timing, good judgement, good game management.  I found that having a few seasons of baseball under my belt when I started basketball really helped put me ahead of many of the other inexperienced basketball officials.

not to mention that it's like 35 half the time here so far. I miss the hot gyms.

• 3 weeks later...

Basketball is more fast paced, and the timing required to make calls is very fast, especially as the Trail or Center official. This is because many fouls and violations (especially those on the perimeter) occur in a split second. Lead can afford to use a faster version of "pause, read, react" to diagnose plays and decide whether to call fouls. 

Basketball also requires A LOT of movement. If you work in 2-man crews, you will be constantly running up and down the court on every change of possession. If you work in 3-man crews, you will be moving around during possessions as well, especially on rotations. Even when not rotating, you still need to move, to get a better angle on your primary coverage area, to mirror the ball's position, or to close down for rebounds. 

I also enjoy working basketball, especially in 3-man crews, due to the speed and variety of possible actions, and the mental gymnastics of watching my primary area, making calls there, glancing for substitutes, and ensuring that the game and shot clocks operate correctly (DC and MD use a shot clock for high school basketball, as do some private school leagues in the area).