Firsts

BRUMP
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2856 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

First in 2 years first time calling 911 and first time ever actually fearing for my safety at a ball field.

In the bottom of the fifth inning with time set to expire shortly the VT pitcher was called for a balk. The VTAC then yelled loud enough for everyone on and around the field to hear "that's a SH*#ty call. Your a F*#King SH*#ty umpire. Your F*#King garbage." He was then ejected. After the game concluded several parents including the ejected coach who had returned were screaming at me and my partner and attempting to block our path away from the field. It was at this point that a parent from the team screamed at us "You guys turn around, and Ill have a F*#King baseball bat waiting for you right here." The police were called to address that threat and the situation was deescalated. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

A little background 1 run game up

Against the clock and the pitcher would not come set. After 2 balks in a row the coach lost it. As a side note, when doing travel ball at a remote field (as was the case during that game) I always bring my phone with me on airplane mode just in case. Of course yesterday I had forgotten it but luckily my partner had his. Oh and btw this was 13u. Happy MDW

Holy crap - that's ridiculous. I had a similar situation years ago and it's not one that I care to repeat.  That's a serious threat and I'd guess that either it's been done before or it will happen again.  I'm glad you had your phone with you.

ya it was definitely unnerving but i did enjoy when the tournament directors came over and immediately had my back and went right back at these guys (the tourney site was my home town and i like to think i have a pretty good reputation there)

Good on them!

My first ever EJ was in intramural Flag football in college. Guy threatened me and told the female supervisor that he would like some sexual favors from her. It was nice to have 30 officials there to have my back. Especially when I learned he was an A-10 cleanup hitter. Years later, we became good acquaintances through a mutual friend and laughed about the situation, but was scary then to have a guy that much bigger than me threatening me for sure! Glad you weren't alone!

13 hours ago, udbrky said:

Guy threatened me and told the female supervisor that he would like some sexual favors from her. It was nice to have 30 officials there to have my back. Especially when I learned he was an A-10 cleanup hitter. Years later, we became good acquaintances through a mutual friend and laughed about the situation,

That last part tells me you're a MUCH better human being than I.  Personally, I would hold a grudge until The End Of Time on that guy.  Not on the field with calls - I have my integrity, if not dignity - but I don't ever think I could be an acquaintance of someone after something like that, never mind a good one.

• Like 3

supposedly this team is now banned from entering any tournaments with this group, as an interesting aside i was asked by a parent i know pretty well of a team watching the game why this doesn't happen at higher levels? my answer no sanctions. youth travel ball can be zoo 

• Like 1

That's just plain crazy.  A great example of a coach and a parent setting a high standard of character and leadership for their children to follow.  Maybe even more so with a head coach/manager that will let that kind of crazy go on around his team by an assistant.

Yes, youth travel ball can be a zoo and the coaches are the big, dumb animals.

• Like 1