Social media and the games we work

johnnyg08
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2885 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

One would think MLB would frown on this just as much as NFHS and NCAA do, no less that it is concerning an ejection and that she sounds proud of the fact that Toby tossed Donaldson. Big assignment, maybe it's not that bad, but an ejection, I bet Toby got a call.

I think it is ridiculous that our society has trended towards sharing every aspect of our lives with complete strangers but that is my burden to bear.

I rarely post on social media such as FB, normally just pics of the kids doing something. Too many people out there who become shocked or overly offended because your opinion does not match their life outlook.

The above pic from the umpires wife? Might be a little classless but it bothers me in the least. For games we do I agree we should not be specific, name names or in anyway ID the people especially since quite often those involved are minors and that can open a new can of worms. Plus I would suspect all of our associations request we do not friend coaches or players just due to the appearance it coveys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The NCAA (as far as I know) has a pretty strict policy on social media use.  Black and Blue Umpires (the group out of California) used to post what schools their instructors would be at for a particular weekend, but they have since stopped doing that based the NCAA policy.  I don't post locations or schools I'm working for on my own page for that reason. 

And this, kids, is why I keep my Facebook locked down and don't become friends with every Tom, Dick and Harry out there. Well that and both my wife and I know better than to post specific things like that about games I'm working. Compute responsibly.