First HS Post-season

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2898 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I just got tapped to work my first high school post-season game. Granted, it was because of a rainout and their first-choice was unavailable on the make-up date, but I'll take it!

Now to learn some 3-man mechanics (never had to do that before). Any tips? ...or sarcastic remarks (like I had to ask)?

• Like 4

Congratulations on taking this next step. No advice to give you on 3-man but if you bring the dedication that got you the assignment to your preparation for this game you'll do great.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

I used this video

along with the CCA when I was cramming before my first state assignment. I felt like I had the basics.

Otherwise, be honest with your crew about your experience level so they can help out. Lastly, have an in depth pre-game about it.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, goody14 said:

I used this video

along with the CCA when I was cramming before my first state assignment. I felt like I had the basics.

Otherwise, be honest with your crew about your experience level so they can help out. Lastly, have an in depth pre-game about it.

Interesting.  That video had U3 as the "quarterback" (or "key").  Our association has U1 as the quarterback.  This means that when both umpires are on the wings, he has catch/no catch for the center fielder moving straight in and straight back, and is the one to decide if he goes out or gives it up to U3.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, grayhawk said:

Interesting.  That video had U3 as the "quarterback" (or "key").  Our association has U1 as the quarterback.  This means that when both umpires are on the wings, he has catch/no catch for the center fielder moving straight in and straight back, and is the one to decide if he goes out or gives it up to U3.

The text that goes with that PP does have U1 now as the key. FED and TASO do not have an inside umpire go out. NCAA and PBUC allow/require the inside umpire to go out on his trouble balls. I think an inexperienced crew should go by FED/TASO and not go out from inside.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kstrunk said:

Congrats! Here is some reading. It's all I got on 3 man, I'm working on upgrading my library. Someone else probably has something better. 

CCA - 3_Man_Umpire_Crew_Mechanics - April 2013.pdf

Thanks! This is helpful.

1 hour ago, goody14 said:

I'm the only one on this crew who will be doing 3-man for the first time. However, it's not unusual that the first time someone would be in 3-man is in post-season. We're all riding to the game together, so I'm sure we'll have a lengthy pre-game.

Thanks for the video, too!

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 3:44 PM, kylehutson said:

I'm the only one on this crew who will be doing 3-man for the first time. However, it's not unusual that the first time someone would be in 3-man is in post-season. We're all riding to the game together, so I'm sure we'll have a lengthy pre-game.

Thanks for the video, too!

Remember to breathe, pause, read, and react. Also, always communicate with each other. Have fun and enjoy it!

Things went really well for the most part. We pre-gamed for about 1/2 hour. I *think* I might have kicked a call because I was too quick on the draw, and I forgot about one rotation which ended up with two of us making a call (thankfully they were the same), but like I said - really well. I was U1 for the first game, PU for the 2nd, and U3 for the last (championship) game.

Thanks especially to those of you who provided resources here!

• Like 2