This is why this forum is needed!

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2868 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Saw a great example of why this site is needed.

LL Seniors (15-17).  League UIC has the plate, 2-man.

R1.  R1 successfully steals 2B on the pitch, batter swings, ball to the backstop.  PU loudly vocalizes "Strike".  Several players and coaches think it's a foul ball.  BU is holding up his hands in a gesture which looks just like a "time/foul" sign.  R1 starts walking back to 1B and is thrown out.

Conference ensues.  Result is R1 is out.  BU explains that he was holding his hands up because he didn't know what was going on.

Wasn't a coach so don't know everything that was said in the conference but I can't understand why they didn't fix the mess that the poor mechanics by both umpires caused.

Later in the game there's a line drive down 1B line that falls very close to the line half way to the fence.  PU signals, AND VERBALIZES, "Fair!".  Runners stop util coaches yell at them to keep running.

Lots of foul-tip mechanics as the pitch is bouncing off the backstop, too, but I'm used to those...

The umpires are paid $45 for bases, $55 for plate, per game.  No training, no testing, and no evaluations.

1 hour ago, RichMSN said:

No serious umpire will work for a program that pays the plate umpire more - at least in my experience. I know I won't.

The rec league I work with most during the summer does. It's mostly a bunch of teenagers that are just learning. Nobody wants to do the plate unless you pay more. Granted, you said "serious" umpire, and I'm the only one who does anything besides this rec league. But I don't do this league for the money - I do it because I live in a small town (population 750) and if I don't the kids don't get a good baseball experience.

3 hours ago, Larry in TN said:

Saw a great example of why this site is needed.

LL Seniors (15-17).  League UIC has the plate, 2-man.

R1.  R1 successfully steals 2B on the pitch, batter swings, ball to the backstop.  PU loudly vocalizes "Strike".  Several players and coaches think it's a foul ball.  BU is holding up his hands in a gesture which looks just like a "time/foul" sign.  R1 starts walking back to 1B and is thrown out.

Conference ensues.  Result is R1 is out.  BU explains that he was holding his hands up because he didn't know what was going on.

Wasn't a coach so don't know everything that was said in the conference but I can't understand why they didn't fix the mess that the poor mechanics by both umpires caused.

Later in the game there's a line drive down 1B line that falls very close to the line half way to the fence.  PU signals, AND VERBALIZES, "Fair!".  Runners stop util coaches yell at them to keep running.

Lots of foul-tip mechanics as the pitch is bouncing off the backstop, too, but I'm used to those...

The umpires are paid $45 for bases, $55 for plate, per game.  No training, no testing, and no evaluations.

Well, I agree that this site is a great resource, but it can't make up for these types of problems. What's needed more than this site is a solid umpiring association and program for these guys.

4 minutes ago, ElkOil said:

Well, I agree that this site is a great resource, but it can't make up for these types of problems. What's needed more than this site is a solid umpiring association and program for these guys.

They have no association.  It's just this UIC, who had the plate in this game, hiring whomever he can get who'll show up when scheduled.  The league runs between 1000 and 1200 kids each season which is a lot of games and a lot of umpire assignments to fill.  I just wish they had someone running the umpire program who at least tried to train, test, and evaluate.  All he seems to care about is that he doesn't get any complaints.  The "training" consists of handing out last year's LL rule book at the pre-season meetings each Spring.

Just now, Larry in TN said:

They have no association.  It's just this UIC, who had the plate in this game, hiring whomever he can get who'll show up when scheduled.  The league runs between 1000 and 1200 kids each season which is a lot of games and a lot of umpire assignments to fill.  I just wish they had someone running the umpire program who at least tried to train, test, and evaluate.  All he seems to care about is that he doesn't get any complaints.  The "training" consists of handing out last year's LL rule book at the pre-season meetings each Spring.

Oh. Yikes. They need all help and resources they can get!

Time for you to volunteer. Looks like they need someone who knows a thing or two.

LL has tons of resources, including nearly free one week camps at most Regionals. and in WP. The one-weeks out West maybe second only to Pro camps in FL. My local brings in MLB and MiLB guys in the off-season. WP has put together some decent on-line info. I know my DUIC works his tail off helping local guys get better. It just takes some effort.

• Like 1