Prank or Dirty Ump?

BillKen
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2890 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I see this as a complete prank where the 1B ump is letting his buddy on the dish know he was there to make the call...and now he has to bend over and brush off the plate.

Everyone on the internet sees this as a dirty ump trying to keep the kid from touching the plate.  

You make the call.

• Like 1

there aren't enough facepalm gifs in this world for that....sheesh

Anything we do (in life) is all about perception. Something so innocent is potentially taken out of context and 99% of the people don't understand what's actually at play. Same sort of scenario with the NFL officials fist-bumping last season. People don't realize that we work out tails off to get into position and are allowed to congratulate each other on jobs well done.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I don't do it and have never had anybody do it to me either.  To me it looks bad and even though we know what's going on perception is everything.

We always talk about it pre-game when working 3 man but I have yet to have the opportunity to do it or have it done to me.

Not sure I would bury the plate... just kick a little dirt on it.

Now that they are investigating I may change that thought and just carry a "hello my name is sticker" in my pocket and slap it to the plate with my signature on it so the PU knows I was there...

the_best_hello_my_name_is_sticker_ever_b

• Like 1

I've never seen this done.  Never had it done to me, never did it to anyone else, nor would it ever dawn on me to do it.  If you're communicating and have pre-gamed rotations, you shouldn't have to kick dirt all over the plate to let me know you were there.  In the video, the umpire makes it look like he's covering the plate so the runner can't find it.  Whether that was his intention or not, perception is everything, especially when most games are being recorded by someone.  Maybe this was blown way out of proportion, but if the umpire wouldn't have done it in the first place, we wouldn't be talking about it. 

• Like 1

Texas High head coach John McClure, when asked for comment, said he knows the name of the umpire in question. He declined to offer it to ETSN.fm... McClure also stressed he is not presently pressing for a conviction from TASO toward the umpire or umpires. At the same time, he wants TASO to investigate the matter because he is dealing with a heartbroken and very upset community.

I've been advised not to comment on the video, so I won't. I'll just tell you the back story.

This team lead the rubber match 8-2 in the bottom of the 7th...Final score 9-8. The heartbreak comes from blowing a 6-run lead in the bottom of the 7th to loose the series. They took out their starter after 6 innings/2 runs and put in their "closer" and rode him all the way to the loss. Walks, HBPs, bad decision-making (throwing home instead of trading runs for outs)...this team gave the game away. But that's not the story...nor the adults fist-fighting behind the backstop, nor one of the players dropping F-bombs on everyone in the crew as they left the field ...no, the story is this highly competent neutral umpire crew (from 200 miles away) cheated them.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, maineump said:

Why put yourself in this situation? Just a glance can prove you are there.

... but that's not funny.

It is a sad state of affairs when we have to worry about being criticized for a harmless joke like this.

• Like 1

Its one thing to just kick a little dirt onto the plate as a 'hey I was here' after the runner has already scored and everyone is returning to normal positions.

Its completely different when you are rushing to get home before the runner, covering the entire plate completely, watch as the runner attempts to find the plate, then turn and leave. Granted, yes some umpires know exactly what he is doing, but all the coaches, fans, viewers, etc. don't and the timing of this is horrible.

If this had happen at the appropriate time, such as after the runner has scored, this video would not be surfacing, TASO would not be required to get involved, and we would not be talking about it such as this.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ricka56 said:

... but that's not funny.

It is a sad state of affairs when we have to worry about being criticized for a harmless joke like this.

It is a joke between umpires. The players and fans don't generally see it that way. We all want to dress professionally, be in the proper position, proper signals - to get respected as professionals - then why do this?

• Like 3

Good grief, this is like the latest iteration of the Zapruder Film. What we see can be (and it looks like it certainly has been) taken out of context and proportion and interpreted as "damning evidence" of the umpires "out to screw us" by a fan base teetering on emotional instability.

Don't you know it's always our (as officials) fault when a team loses? What if that umpire hadn't dusted the plate, and instead, the BR missed the plate in his eagerness to celebrate with his teammates, the opposing team appealed, and the umpires (U1) ruled him out? Even if this here video clearly shows the kid missing the plate (in that hypothetical), we'd still get fans crying foul how it's a "stupid rule" and the umpires "out to screw us" and analyzing where that U1 was exactly so as to make a call that egregious (they don't use that word; it's usually a word that rhymes with "bitty" or "bucking", often together), or whether he has the authority to do so, because obviously he's not the plate umpire, blah blah blah whine whine whine.

That being said, this particular U1 has surely (I'm 98% positive) had The Calling Card done to him before, as he is way too eager to get to the plate and bury it. This is probably his first chance to do it. A properly executed Calling Card is done after the BR and players have left the plate circle and eye contact between PU and U1 is made. One good digging kick is all that's needed as U1 turns on his heel to head back to A, leaving PU to grumble-chuckle, "Oh great, thanks a lot." It is completely an in-joke between umpires. But when you've got an upset public, especially one armed with only a partial bit of truth (the whole thing in the article about being ruled out if BR didn't touch the plate) and an Internet chat-&-post medium, anything can be misinterpreted.

On 5/11/2016 at 0:37 PM, MUAump2 said:

I've never seen this done.  Never had it done to me, never did it to anyone else, nor would it ever dawn on me to do it.  If you're communicating and have pre-gamed rotations, you shouldn't have to kick dirt all over the plate to let me know you were there.  In the video, the umpire makes it look like he's covering the plate so the runner can't find it.  Whether that was his intention or not, perception is everything, especially when most games are being recorded by someone.  Maybe this was blown way out of proportion, but if the umpire wouldn't have done it in the first place, we wouldn't be talking about it. 

So you have never had a partner signal at the start of an at-bat and then fail to rotate?  

21 hours ago, ricka56 said:

Texas High head coach John McClure, when asked for comment, said he knows the name of the umpire in question. He declined to offer it to ETSN.fm... McClure also stressed he is not presently pressing for a conviction from TASO toward the umpire or umpires. At the same time, he wants TASO to investigate the matter because he is dealing with a heartbroken and very upset community.

sounds like the pansies at Emory that were upset with someone writing Trump 2016 in chalk