Player HBP 4 times

tempetoro
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2873 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

HS Varsity.  I am the BU and the VT #3 batter gets hit by first pitch.  His second time up, same thing.  VT parents start getting upset as no one else has been hit.  3rd time up (new pitcher) same kids gets hit again.  Parents really upset and VHC comes out to talk to PU.  He says "I'll take care of it."  In between innings I go talk to my partner and ask if he has seen anything that would cause the hit by pitches and if he is going to issue a warning.  He tells me in his judgement there has been nothing to indicate that it is an intentional act.  No stare downs, bat flips, hard plays etc. He's a more experienced umpire so I just say okay and take my position.  Sure enough, next time up the kid gets hit again and the VHC and parents are irate.  My parents address the fans and throws one out, tells the coach to get his fans in order and IMO loses control of the game.  Luckily it was the last inning and the VT ends up winning.  

Had I been the PU I would have issued a warning after the 3rd hit by pitch citing unsportsmanlike conduct.  I know the OHC would be upset but I think hitting a kid the first pitch 3 times in a row in my judgement is intentional and I am giving them the benefit of the doubt by issuing a warning instead of ejecting.  My question is, what can I do as the BU as far as warnings without stepping over the PU?  I felt powerless as I didn't want to come in and issue a warning after the PU had been so adamant against it.   

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, tempetoro said:

HS Varsity.  I am the BU and the VT #3 batter gets hit by first pitch.  His second time up, same thing.  VT parents start getting upset as no one else has been hit.  3rd time up (new pitcher) same kids gets hit again.  Parents really upset and VHC comes out to talk to PU.  He says "I'll take care of it."  In between innings I go talk to my partner and ask if he has seen anything that would cause the hit by pitches and if he is going to issue a warning.  He tells me in his judgement there has been nothing to indicate that it is an intentional act No stare downs, bat flips, hard plays etc. He's a more experienced umpire so I just say okay and take my position.  Sure enough, next time up the kid gets hit again and the VHC and parents are irate.  My parents address the fans and throws one out, tells the coach to get his fans in order and IMO loses control of the game.  Luckily it was the last inning and the VT ends up winning.  

Not in this game. Bet there was in a prior game.

6 hours ago, tempetoro said:

Had I been the PU I would have issued a warning after the 3rd hit by pitch citing unsportsmanlike conduct.  I know the OHC would be upset but I think hitting a kid the first pitch 3 times in a row in my judgement is intentional and I am giving them the benefit of the doubt by issuing a warning instead of ejecting.  My question is, what can I do as the BU as far as warnings without stepping over the PU?  I felt powerless as I didn't want to come in and issue a warning after the PU had been so adamant against it.   

Do you have any reason to think it's intentional other than the multiple times? Sometimes that happens. Unless you can articulate why you think it was intentional (atmosphere, indicators, etc.) then you don't have a leg to stand on.

Nothing. The battery belongs to PU. You may have to clean up his mess later, but you do not have any role in issuing warnings, other than to give PU any additional, tangible knowledge you may have that he may not (e.g. you saw the batter spike F3 his last time up.)

If your PU did what you say he did, he did mess up (aside from what is already mentioned.) If someone comes to me thinking there was intent at throwing at a batter, the proper response isn't "I'll take care of it." If PU thought it was intentional, he would (should) have already taken action. The response should be, "In my judgement, he did not intentionally throw at the batter."

This advice is for HS and below.

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 2:18 PM, tempetoro said:

...I think hitting a kid the first pitch 3 times in a row in my judgement is intentional and I am giving them the benefit of the doubt by issuing a warning instead of ejecting.

If that truly is your judgment, then the rules say you must eject at that point.

Warnings are prescribed only if you have a doubt about it being intentional. By your own words, you already judged it as intentional, so warning isn't an option.