MC

Stk004
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2878 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Just finished a Bronco Pony game and there probably should've been an ejection. 

The SP for the red team is a real hothead, and it's obvious. Works fast, visibly angry, even tried the hidden ball trick. I balked him twice including that and he wasn't too happy but didn't argue.

Come the top of the 4th and the same kid is rounding 2nd heading to third. He overruns 3rd and contacts F5, but nothing serious. Then he comes back and throws both of his forearms at F5, barely making contact. I sternly told him to knock it off and not let it happen again. His coach laid into him at the half inning. 

Should I have had an out and EJ for MC? He barely made contact but it was blatant and aggressive. And to be honest I felt like it was MC, but it didn't seem significant enough for an EJ. 

Throwing of the forearms is enough for me to eject him. He clearly wanted to make contact, but as you said the contact was minimal. If nothing else it's unsportsmanlike and gets an ejection from me. No place for that in the game.

• Like 1

HTBT of course. Tthough MC has to have C (contact), UC (unsportsmanlike conduct) doesn't need contact. If he tried to hit F5 after the play was over, but didn't hit him as well as he wanted to, you would have been justified for tossing the hothead for UC.

There are times when officials call this stuff more closely than others. For example, if there was bad blood and the officials wanted to keep the reins tight to prevent things getting out of hand, then one might EJ early to keep control of the game ... again HTBT.  

The other side of the coin is that you let it go and take the chance it doesn't escalate. If that backfires, you will be second-guessed for letting it get out of hand..

3 hours ago, LittleBlue said:

Throwing of the forearms is enough for me to eject him. He clearly wanted to make contact, but as you said the contact was minimal. If nothing else it's unsportsmanlike and gets an ejection from me. No place for that in the game.

Is there any provision or rule in OBR that allows for an EJ for UC? 

1 hour ago, urout17 said:

What age level is a bronco pony game and what rule set does this level use?  Just wondering. Thanks.

I believe it's 10-12 or 11-12, and their rulebook is based on OBR 

On 5/7/2016 at 2:05 PM, maven said:

Malicious contact only counts when the contact, not merely the intent, is malicious. I think you handled it properly: address it so he knows you were watching, but not yet an EJ.

So if a kid throws a punch but misses, he's not ejected?

I hope this is not what you mean?

So if a kid throws a punch but misses, he's not ejected?

I hope this is not what you mean?

That would fall under the realm of 3-3-1 unsportsmanlike conduct (immediate ejection).

But it's not malicious contact, as previously mentioned

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1