Manager That Wanted a Bailout

tankmjg24
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2883 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

The following did not happen to me, but a fellow umpire in our association. 13U OBR travel ball was the setting. The field was all turf and was a little wet from a rain that morning. R1 steals second and on his slide the wet turf propels him directly over 2nd. He reaches back and is barely holding onto second as the coach is yelling time out, call time. The player is yelling out for time and then his hand comes off second. F4 tags him and an out is called. Here is where the fun begins. Coach comes running over from the 3rd base box without asking for time. He starts yelling that his player asked for time. My friend told him to go back to the box and ask for time. According to him, he did this so the coach would learn to call time but also calm down a bit before coming to speak to him. So the coach goes back, asks for time, then approaches my friend. The coach tells him that the player asked for time. My friend explains that this means nothing, and that there was still a potential for a play. Coach now starts to yell that his player asked for time, and that if he asks for time you have to give it to him. Friend explains that is not how it works, and that there is nothing left to discuss. Coach starts to walk away, but then turns back and yells at my friend that he needs to learn the rules. He yells that if a player asks for time he has to grant it, and that if he wants to come onto the field and talk to an umpire he is. At this point my friend ejects him. Coach starts to go back to my friend, but his partner did a good job playing rodeo clown and getting the coach off the field.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I don't think this sitch was handled well :

1. The runner was in a precarious position partly because of the field conditions. If he was in contact and he asked for TIME, I would have granted it...not the least of the reasons being that you avoid that $#!+show ...mostly because if he was in contact with the base, action was relaxed and there was no reason not to grant TIME.

2. Making the coach go back into the coach's box to request TIME is not going to calm the coach down (the reason given). This umpire has now shown up the coach (albeit he may have deserved it). If this umpire thought that he'd teach the coach a lesson by making retreat and then ask for TIME, I'd be shocked if it took...it's only going to make him nastier to deal with...this was avoidable.The umpire could have anticipated that the coach would want to talk to the umpire about what happened. I would have and called TIME for the coach to come out. 

I have seen umpires make the coach go back to and ask for TIME before granting it and discussing what happened. It never looks good. It makes the umpire look like an arse. And it doesn't have to go that way. Anticipate the need for the discussion, call TIME and lets get it on. 

• Like 4

I was not there, but from the description given to me, time should not have been granted as the kid had overslid the bag and was trying to hang on for dear life. I am a bit torn on making the coach retreat. Part of me says it is only going to worsen the situation, then part of me feels as if the coach should understand he just cannot run onto the field whenever he wants to. I've wondered if instead, you cut the coach off and explain that he needs to ask for and be granted time before attempting to argue. The ejection part sounds easy, the guy told him he needed to learn the rules.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, ricka56 said:

I don't think this sitch was handled well :

1. The runner was in a precarious position partly because of the field conditions. If he was in contact and he asked for TIME, I would have granted it...not the least of the reasons being that you avoid that $#!+show ...mostly because if he was in contact with the base, action was relaxed and there was no reason not to grant TIME.

2. Making the coach go back into the coach's box to request TIME is not going to calm the coach down (the reason given). This umpire has now shown up the coach (albeit he may have deserved it). If this umpire thought that he'd teach the coach a lesson by making retreat and then ask for TIME, I'd be shocked if it took...it's only going to make him nastier to deal with...this was avoidable.The umpire could have anticipated that the coach would want to talk to the umpire about what happened. I would have and called TIME for the coach to come out. 

I have seen umpires make the coach go back to and ask for TIME before granting it and discussing what happened. It never looks good. It makes the umpire look like an arse. And it doesn't have to go that way. Anticipate the need for the discussion, call TIME and lets get it on. 

I think #1 is a HTBT.

As for #2, I agree.  Unless the coach comes running onto the field while play is still on-going, there is no need to yell at him to go back and ask for time for all the reasons ricka56 stated.  In fact, Jacksa/Roder states that the act of coming onto the field to discuss a call is itself a request for time which should be granted (assuming play is over, etc.).