Yellow Lenses

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2904 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Did a search but didn't find much. I would appreciate hearing from folks who use yellow lensed glasses - prescription or not. I do very few games under the lights but am thinking about a pair for overcast days. I need prescription glasses (or contacts) so some input would be appreciated about how the yellow lenses do on those days with both sun and clouds. The only experience I have is ski goggles - the yellow is great when the light is bad or flat but when the sun comes out the yellow can be tough. Another concern is UV protection and as best I can tell contacts don't give much so I'd just as soon wear glasses and get the UV protection as my doctor has told me I have very early signs of cataracts.  

Many thanks.

i started using yellow lenses last fall.  under the lights, i think it provides better contrast between the ball and the background (grass, fence, etc).   Daytime/daylight doesn't make much difference.  Can't say much about prescription or contacts, as I don't wear them currently.

It also has the added benefit of keeping dirt and dust out of your eyes, from the catcher nabbing that pitch headed for your nose, and the ensuing puff of dust and dirt particles.

These are the ones I've been using:

http://www.amazon.com/Besgoods-Polarized-Sunglasses-Glasses-Unbreakable/dp/B00Q2KNPKO?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

Yellow tinted lenses will heighten contrast. Some feel it brightens things, but it's the contrast it helps with. That's why they're popular with skeet shooters. They help more on overcast, or low light occasions more than in the sun. On a bright day, sunglasses with orange, or brown will help with contrast. The Oakley Prizm baseball lenses are terrific for sunny days...  Any polycarbonate lens will block UV. (yes, Oakleys will block UV). Tinted plastic will not unless it treated to do so. Polycarbonate, by it's very nature blocks UV, and the tint can be added to the lens. Oakleys are available both with and without Rx. Any optical quality frame can be used for a colored polycarbonate lenses. Oakley lenses obviously need to be in an Oakley frame.

I'm a massive fan of this entire line of glasses:

http://amzn.to/1T0jmQC

I have five pair of these glasses. I have this amber one for those mostly cloudy/overcast days to heighten contrast. I've got the bronze glasses with camo frame (should appear in the "Customers Also Viewed" section) for those slightly more sunny days or later afternoon when I don't want to use dark grey. I've got those dark grey for the high sun/bright days. And I've got a pair of clear ones for when I want eye protection from flying dirt and UV but no tint. I also have a pair of polarized in the car for driving. They don't fog much at all, very comfortable, clear and true, total UV protection. Never got caught up in the mask or helmet, great family of glasses.

AND THEY'RE FREAKIN' UNDER TEN DOLLARS EACH!!!

They're not listed under sports glasses, they're listed under Industrial and Safety glasses, so they're made to be used and are priced for volume, not marketing margin. They're made by Jackson Safety, a well respected name of industrial safety equipment (over 75 yrs in the business), a division of Kimberly-Clark Professional. Ok, they're not as sexy as Oakleys....to me, that's offset by the fact that I can buy 15 pairs for the price of 1 Oakley. Sexy ain't worth that much to me!

• Like 1

I wear them for night games and cloudy days. Like above makes the contrast much better. They also seem to take the 'glare' out of the lights when you look up during a night game. Don't really notice much of a change during a sunny day, other than removes the glare some.

I wear prescription, and have interchangeable lenses. Use all 3 - clear, amber and smoked color.

I have a set of orange lenses for my Oakley fast jackets and they work great for low light / cloudy days. I can see the ball so much better in those conditions. I wore them just yesterday and when the clouds start clearing and it got brighter, I was able to switch lenses out to my polarized sunglasses lenses between innings.