Idiot dad

Umpirechick1
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2900 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

13u AAA bracket of a big tourney this weekend, and team is losing 13-1 in the bottom of the 7th with nobody on and 2 outs.  I ring up the batter and he immediately turns around and yells "THAT BALL WAS ON THE GROUND!" Not quite - it was an outside corner pitch right above the knee - but he obviously saw it differently than me.  I simply said "That's 3 strikes, you're out... ballgame."  As we're getting the game card signed, he's still yapping, but with his dad on the other side of the fence.  As my partner and I walk towards the gate to exit, kid looks directly at me, and said "That ball was on the ground and you know it."  I decided to take the high road and not eject him (big mistake) but stated "Young man, that was a strike, and you don't ever get to yell at an umpire that way.  If your team was still playing, I'd eject you because that's unacceptable."  As we're walking out, the coach starts yelling "Your job is done BLUE - get off the field!"  I politely tell him that I had no problem calmly telling his players what behavior is allowed and what isn't and we leave to go to our cars and switch out.  

We'd been at our car for about 2 minutes and the dad and kid come down the hill towards us, walk past us on the sidewalk about 25 feet, and then the dad has the balls to say "That last call you made was horrible."  I said "Sir, the game is over and we're changing for the next game.  Walk away and leave me alone or I'll call the police."  He started acting like he was swinging a golf club.  I said "Now I know why your kid acts the way the does - he gets it from you.  And since you're still here harassing us, I'm calling the police."  He started walking away when he saw me dialing 911, but his parting shot was "You need to go back to softball."  WHAT?  I said "Impossible, since I've never called softball."  I'm still not sure why they think that's going to hurt my feelings.  It was also rather entertaining watching my partner, and another umpire (both Marines) think they need to come to my defense and end up standing back enjoying the sh*t show.  Always good to know someone's got your back - just in case.

It was fun informing the coach the next day what had happened, and my partner (same from the day before) telling the coach that the dad wasn't allowed to watch the game today.

I was hoping to avoid writing up a report for an ejection and still had to write one regarding the idiot dad following us to our car. 

I don't answer. "That ball was on the ground and you know it." Probably just shaking my head and keep walking. If he's gotmore to say, he might not be playing the next game if the post game EJ holds any weight.

Dad says to me at the car  "That last call you made was horrible." ..

Me "OK"

If he's got more to say, I'm not answering. Just taking out the phone and dialing.

Varsity game last week. Not close. 9-0. Had a Dad watching from CF. Once his team fell behind by 5 or 6 runs, the chirping about the strike zone that he undoubtedly had a better view of than I began. Walking around the outside of the field towards the dugout area after the game as we were walking to our cars. I'm assuming to collect his son. As he's walking towards us he's staring us down yelling "terrible...Absolutely terrible."..... Needed all the willpower I had to ignore and not say "Who, your SS couldn't field a ground ball all day?" (F6 had 3 errors on routine ground balls...all with 2 outs that lead to the majority of the 9 runs.) Gotta laugh.

6 minutes ago, Richvee said:

I don't answer. "That ball was on the ground and you know it." Probably just shaking my head and keep walking. If he's gotmore to say, he might not be playing the next game if the post game EJ holds any weight.

Dad says to me at the car  "That last call you made was horrible." ..

Me "OK"

If he's got more to say, I'm not answering. Just taking out the phone and dialing.

Yep. Nothing good comes from engaging irritated fans, and especially not from criticizing their parenting. Let them be mad.

• Like 1

I usually don't answer, but it was that kind of day. We'd had a long week during the death of my mother in-law and I was just happy to be on the field doing what I love.  And I certainly wasn't going to stand there and take his crap.  On the positive side, his son was a perfect angel the next day. I was BU and the kid SS so he had to see me a lot.  :D   

• Like 3

Awe, the "go back to softball" line, yup, heard that a few times. Lol, considering what I know about softball could fit into a thimble, it always makes me laugh. Glad youre back at it.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Umpirechick1 said:

13u AAA bracket of a big tourney this weekend, and team is losing 13-1 in the bottom of the 7th with nobody on and 2 outs.  I ring up the batter and he immediately turns around and yells "THAT BALL WAS ON THE GROUND!" Not quite - it was an outside corner pitch right above the knee - but he obviously saw it differently than me.  I simply said "That's 3 strikes, you're out... ballgame."  As we're getting the game card signed, he's still yapping, but with his dad on the other side of the fence.  As my partner and I walk towards the gate to exit, kid looks directly at me, and said "That ball was on the ground and you know it."  I decided to take the high road and not eject him (big mistake) but stated "Young man, that was a strike, and you don't ever get to yell at an umpire that way.  If your team was still playing, I'd eject you because that's unacceptable."  As we're walking out, the coach starts yelling "Your job is done BLUE - STFU and get off the field!" though inappropriate, that would have been appropriate  I politely tell him that I had no problem calmly telling his players what behavior is allowed and what isn't and we leave to go to our cars and switch out.  

We'd been at our car for about 2 minutes and the dad and kid come down the hill towards us, walk past us on the sidewalk about 25 feet, and then the dad has the balls to say "That last call you made was horrible."  I said "Sir, the game is over and we're changing for the next game.  Walk away and leave me alone or I'll call the police."  He started acting like he was swinging a golf club.  I said "Now I know why your kid acts the way the does - he gets it from you.  And since you're still here harassing us, I'm calling the police."  He started walking away when he saw me dialing 911, but his parting shot was "You need to go back to softball."  WHAT?  I said "Impossible, since I've never called softball."  I'm still not sure why they think that's going to hurt my feelings.  It was also rather entertaining watching my partner, and another umpire (both Marines) think they need to come to my defense and end up standing back enjoying the sh*t show. They might have not been happy that you choose to engage in words with this dad/lad. I would not be happy if I had to get physically involved because my partner prolonged a situation by mouthing off back at them.  Always good to know someone's got your back - just in case.

It was fun informing the coach the next day what had happened, and my partner (same from the day before) telling the coach that the dad wasn't allowed to watch the game today. This shouldn't be done with glee

I was hoping to avoid writing up a report for an ejection and still had to write one regarding the idiot dad following us to our car. 

As others have stated, don't aggravate the situation. Keep your thought to yourself and GTF out of there.

You know, I get it that we have to be above this and take the high road.  Discretion is the better part of valor and all that...

I've never been followed to the parking lot.  Leaving the field there are things said at times and I either ignore them depending on the proximity or just say have a nice day/evening and keep walking.

But seriously, I have the gift of sarcasm and there will probably be a time where it gets the better of me.  If someone ever chases me down, I think it will be a LOT harder to contain.

In #Umpirechick1's case, if I was her partner, it would be pretty difficult to hold back a retort of "Great, you're teaching your kid to be a poor sport AND a sexist idiot.  Well done." 

• Like 3

@ricka56, I'm never going to say that to a coach - especially on the field.  I'm not going to put myself in the same catergory as the kid or coach who thinks that behavior or language is appropriate on the field.  I didn't say I wouldn't think it, but I'm not saying it. 

As far as my fellow umpires go, they didn't want me to get to the guy before they did.  I know that because that's what they told me.

It wasn't done with glee the next day - that was sarcasm - which doesn't come across in text.  It was my partner's decision, and I was thinking the coach would go ballistic and cause a scene.  However, he didn't and I was grateful for that.

I can take the high road on the field, but in the parking lot... now you're treading on my ground, in my space... while I'm changing and getting ready. 

@MObetterBlue, I'll have to remember that one! 

On 5/4/2016 at 10:06 PM, Umpirechick1 said:

I usually don't answer, but it was that kind of day. We'd had a long week during the death of my mother in-law and I was just happy to be on the field doing what I love.  And I certainly wasn't going to stand there and take his crap.  On the positive side, his son was a perfect angel the next day. I was BU and the kid SS so he had to see me a lot.  :D   

What a weekend between you in Dacula and me in Flowery Branch.  In Flowery Branch, I know of at least 5 ejections, 4 of which were on or around my field.  MC by partner, OHC in the top of an inning, OAC in the bottom of that same inning, fan by the TD who was riled up by me ejecting the OHC.  A fan by another umpire.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2016 at 9:28 AM, ricka56 said:

As others have stated, don't aggravate the situation. Keep your thought to yourself and GTF out of there.

As someone who has worked with her, we do have her back.  I've heard the crap thrown at her and it's ridiculous the level that they go to.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, HokieUmp said:

Please tell me this isn't a regular thing.

I did it once in my first year.  

From what I understand, the fan was getting personal about the umpire's tattoo.  The coach was told about it and immediately after turning around to head back to the plate, the fan did it again and was tossed.  

That's the only two that I know of in my 5 years.

On 5/5/2016 at 8:37 AM, ZebraStripes said:

What a weekend between you in Dacula and me in Flowery Branch.  In Flowery Branch, I know of at least 5 ejections, 4 of which were on or around my field.  MC by partner, OHC in the top of an inning, OAC in the bottom of that same inning, fan by the TD who was riled up by me ejecting the OHC.  A fan by another umpire.

As someone who has worked with her, we do have her back.  I've heard the crap thrown at her and it's ridiculous the level that they go to.  

This place sounds like participants/spectators are out of control. And if they are targeting an umpire based on their gender that should not be acceptable. If management is not doing enough to curb their misbehavior, perhaps there are other facilities that would appreciate your work.

I agree that decorum and keeping your mouth shut on the field is the right way to go.

However, at the car, I'm not going to simply stand there and take it.  If the parent doesn't like what I have to say to them at that point, perhaps they should've thought better than to come over to my vehicle and initiate a conversation.

Him: "That last call was horrible."

Me: "Who gives a f&%$ what you think, anyway?"

• Like 5

On 5/4/2016 at 6:24 PM, Umpirechick1 said:

I can take the high road on the field, but in the parking lot... now you're treading on my ground, in my space... while I'm changing and getting ready. 

To quote Gunny Highway, "Don't give the prick the satisfaction." They're looking for you to react. 

Furthermore, if you aggravate the situation and it turns physical, you have put yourself in an indefensible position. Even if it doesn't, if word gets back about you insulting spectators (which you did do, and I understand, but it's still a fact,) you've dug your own grave.

• Like 1

I once heard about a woman umpiring her first minor league game and was behind the plate.  One of the coaches brought out the lineup card and said her you go either Sweetie or Honey and she ejected him on the spot.

• Like 2

On May 9, 2016 at 8:26 PM, Matt said:

To quote Gunny Highway, "Don't give the prick the satisfaction." They're looking for you to react. 

Furthermore, if you aggravate the situation and it turns physical, you have put yourself in an indefensible position. Even if it doesn't, if word gets back about you insulting spectators (which you did do, and I understand, but it's still a fact,) you've dug your own grave.

Thankfully, my reputation says otherwise. He's just lucky he got to walk away instead of being carried away in the back of a police car. 

6 hours ago, OHUMP said:

I once heard about a woman umpiring her first minor league game and was behind the plate.  One of the coaches brought out the lineup card and said her you go either Sweetie or Honey and she ejected him on the spot.

I've stopped a game because a POS coach thought it would be fun to keep heckling me with "darlin'" "sweetie" etc.  I've run into him many times over the years and he's STILL apologizing  :D

I've also ejected an assistant coach who interrupted a plate meeting and asked if I was single and could he have my phone number. I thought the head coach would die of embarrassment. 

A head coach was ejected at the plate meeting by my partner and me at the same time when he asked "Is this double minority night?"  My partner was a black male. 

Thankfully, most of that doesn't happen much anymore and they realize I'm a very good umpire. I try to let my work speak for itself, but sometimes, the idiots get in the way.

• Like 2

On May 8, 2016 at 7:11 PM, Tksjewelry said:

This was a beauty to start my 4 slot: "Go back to the kitchen". That was balsy and made for a short day for more than a couple of coaches.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Idiots. :huh:

30 minutes ago, Umpirechick1 said:

A head coach was ejected at the plate meeting by my partner and me at the same time when he asked "Is this double minority night?"  My partner was a black male. 

I love it...A double KO. I'd love to see the video of 2 umpires giving the same guy the heave-ho at the same time!! :beerbang

• Like 2