Balk question

maven
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2891 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Any code (it shouldn't matter), runners on base. F1 takes the rubber legally in the set position. He makes a weird shrugging motion as if to start coming set but does not bring his hands up, stops momentarily, and then legally disengages.

Your call?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

By rule I'd have a balk.  In practice, the lower the level the more I'd be to try to let it go, depending on how big the shrug and how long between that and stopping and stepping off.

And, I'm assuming this is something other that "adjusting his sleeves as part of the process of getting comfortable on the rubber."

This is one of those situations that, at most amateur levels, the following rulebook language is applicable:

"Umpires should bear in mind that the purpose of the balk rule is to prevent the pitcher from deliberately deceiving the base runner. If there is doubt in the umpire’s mind, the “intent” of the pitcher should govern."

Was it just a harmless shrug, or was he looking to gain an advantage?

4 minutes ago, grayhawk said:

Was it just a harmless shrug, or was he looking to gain an advantage?

No advantage possible: the time between the motion and disengagement was a second or less, with no look at the runner.

So if that's the other option, I'll go with "harmless shrug."

3 minutes ago, maven said:

No advantage possible: the time between the motion and disengagement was a second or less, with no look at the runner.

So if that's the other option, I'll go with "harmless shrug."

I'll go with no balk, and will tell the OC when he complains that we're not here to pick fly SH*# out of pepper.

• Like 1