3rd strike caught or not?

FleasOf1000Camels
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2916 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

With 1st base unoccupied, strike three is swung at, and bounces/skips directly to F2's glove.

I say this is UNcaught, and F2 needs tag or throw to complete the out.  My partner (while admitting that the ball DID hit ground before glove) says the out is complete without tag or throw.

Is there any difference between OBR, FED, NCAA on this?  I can't find anything in BRD.

PS: There's BEER riding on this question.

13 minutes ago, FleasOf1000Camels said:

With 1st base unoccupied, strike three is swung at, and bounces/skips directly to F2's glove.

I say this is UNcaught, and F2 needs tag or throw to complete the out.  My partner (while admitting that the ball DID hit ground before glove) says the out is complete without tag or throw.

Is there any difference between OBR, FED, NCAA on this?  I can't find anything in BRD.

PS: There's BEER riding on this question.

Maybe you could explain it by asking him this... If a line drive skips off the ground into a players glove is that a caught ball?  If a line drive goes into a players glove and then falls out is that a caught ball?  Same for the catcher.

All codes agree: a pitch in the dirt cannot be CAUGHT (only "scooped" or "gloved"), as it does not arrive IN FLIGHT. (The all caps terms are defined by rule.)

An experienced umpire in our association who ought to know better made this mistake last season. Some now call him "Scoop."