It's impossible to balk to 2B.

Jimurray
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2887 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Not a balk to 2B... Just a start/stop balk :)

Perfect example of the umpires letting the play finish on the delayed dead ball and U3 killing it when R2 was tagged

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

33 minutes ago, Stk004 said:

Don't do it...... :crybaby2:

Why don't I heed these warnings?  Seriously, I understand that these guys feel that they have to explain things to the viewer, but don't just make stuff up.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, grayhawk said:

Why don't I heed these warnings?  Seriously, I understand that these guys feel that they have to explain things to the viewer, but don't just make stuff up.

I think I got dummer when watching what I heard.:Horse:

3 hours ago, Jimurray said:

Evidently he thinks the base needs to be "occupied" by the fielder....There's plenty like him...announcers, fans, Daddy coaches... They know a word or two from a rule and apply it as they see fit.

For the uninitiated viewer it's not *that* far off. Yes, the base isn't unoccupied, but rather throwing to a fielder not in position to make a play, but at least he knew it was a balk, didn't try to argue or downplay it, and am least tried to use it as a teaching moment. On the announcer scale, that's a solid 6 to 7

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2016 at 1:04 PM, ALStripes17 said:

Not a balk to 2B... Just a start/stop balk :)

Perfect example of the umpires letting the play finish on the delayed dead ball and U3 killing it when R2 was tagged

This is not a start and stop balk.. its the buckling of the knee, that was called.

This is not a start and stop balk.. its the buckling of the knee, that was called.

So would that not be a start/stop? Our community terms for 'failing to deliver a pitch in one continuous motion once committed to the plate'?

No.. its a knee buckle... this is different than a start and stop... the pitcher did stop.

Sarcasm alert: do we have a balk rule that charges 'knee buckle' as a violation?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ZebraStripes said:

which would make it a start/stop balk

In my neck of the woods a start-stop is used to indicate a pitcher who started to come set and stopped. Stopping the delivery after coming set and starting the motion would be failure to deliver. A knee buckle would be either failure to deliver or a feint without a step.

59 minutes ago, ZebraStripes said:

which would make it a start/stop balk

No.. the knee buckle is a different balk than a start and stop... example.. Coach come out to ask why you balked his pitcher "coach he buckled his knee"... another example.. "coach, we had a no stop balk"..

NCAA rule 9.3.C .4

4) The pitcher may not prematurely flex either leg before stepping directly and throwing to first base.

NCAA rule 9.3 c J..

j. The pitcher delivers the pitch from the set position without coming to a complete and discernible stop, or the pitcher comes to more than one stop from the set position (see 9-1-b);

No.. the knee buckle is a different balk than a start and stop... example.. Coach come out to ask why you balked his pitcher "coach he buckled his knee"... another example.. "coach, we had a no stop balk"..

NCAA rule 9.3.C .4

4) The pitcher may not prematurely flex either leg before stepping directly and throwing to first base.

NCAA rule 9.3 c J..

j. The pitcher delivers the pitch from the set position without coming to a complete and discernible stop, or the pitcher comes to more than one stop from the set position (see 9-1-b);

Professional subthread...

well since in your signature it says your work for Fagan and Assman... just worry about College rules.

I'll cover my own. Thank you for looking out though.