Batter Goes to 1st on Strike 2 Uncaught

zoops
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2910 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I know this has been discussed before, but couldn't find the appropriate thread.  What would you do here?  Any different in FED or OBR?

Runner on 3rd, 2 outs. Count is 2-1. Batter swings and misses, passed ball. Batter thinks it's strike 3 so he runs to first. The catcher retrieves the ball and overthrows 1st base. The runner from 3rd heads home after seeing the overthrow and scores.

I have had this problem in the past on a dropped 3rd strike...less than two outs, 1st base occupied. Batter will take off towards first even though it is an automatic out. Catcher will launch the ball into right field, runs will score. DHC complains that batter tricked his catcher. Can't complain about offense not knowing the rule when your team also doesn't know the rule.

Last night LL Majors game.

1 out, R1.

B/R strike out and 3rd is dropped. R1 takes off for 2nd and B/R starts for 1st. My partner is announcing he's out, he's out. he's still out. B/R runs down the line and of course I make no call as U1 when F2 throws there.

F1 looks at me and says "he can't run to first!  There was less than two outs!" (I am surprised he knows the rule honestly).

My reply... "you are right but do you see the B/R standing on 1st any longer?" B/R had already moved to the dugout.

This is when he notices R1 now standing on 2nd and the light comes on...