Pregame addition ?

ricka56
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2912 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Do I really need to add the following to my pregame:
At the end of the game, don't go looking to shake hands with coaches.
Get with your partner and exit the field ASAP.
If you stop to shake hands, I'm not stopping to wait for you. 

Last two games, my pet peeve, standing there waiting for my partner shake two/three hands. 
I know I might have issues, but is this one shared ? How do you break them of this habit. 

2 hours ago, HokieUmp said:

What do you do if the coaches approach YOU to shake hands as you're trying to leave?  I would hope that you don't blank them. 

Silly question... I grab my crotch and give it a shake. 

What I don't do is try to make eye contact with the coach(es) to where he feels obliged to offer to shake hands. The coaches ought to be monitoring the post game team handshake to make sure no one starts a melee. And we shouldn't be campaigning to be coach's buddy. 

3 hours ago, ricka56 said:

Silly question... I grab my crotch and give it a shake. 

What I don't do is try to make eye contact with the coach(es) to where he feels obliged to offer to shake hands. The coaches ought to be monitoring the post game team handshake to make sure no one starts a melee. And we shouldn't be campaigning to be coach's buddy. 

Jeez... where's the decorum? Listen. If you grab your crotch and give it a shake, the least you could do is look the coach in the eye. For all you know, he may want you to pull his hair or something.

Shaking hands with the coach who approaches you on your way out is not the problem. But if you're trying to make eye contact with the coach or going out of your way to pass the coach, stop it. One you two are closest to the gate and should be heading that way... the other should be scurrying to catch up.

• Like 1

Lately, when I'm BU, I've found myself adding to the pregame: 'If you're going to appeal a check swing, please step out, holler real loud at me and point with your left hand."

We have a code, a quick loud "did he go?" with a sharp point is actually asking. A somber "did he go" with a full hand is a "just say no".

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, Tksjewelry said:

We have a code, a quick loud "did he go?" with a sharp point is actually asking. A somber "did he go" with a full hand is a "just say no".

I'm not into this code stuff....if you ask me, I'm gonna tell ya what I think.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tksjewelry said:

That makes no sense to me. Why would you ask but not want someone else's answer?

I'm still at a loss, I'm afraid. Are you saying you decide whether or not to call a strike based on how you think the coaches might react?

No, lol, what!? There are times when a coach asks his catcher to ask every time he sees a slight flinch from a batter for a check swing. Or maybe a bat didn't get past my head, I saw it clear, I don't need to legitimately ask. I ask because I'm supposed too not because I really want an answer.

29 minutes ago, Tksjewelry said:

No, lol, what!? There are times when a coach asks his catcher to ask every time he sees a slight flinch from a batter for a check swing. Or maybe a bat didn't get past my head, I saw it clear, I don't need to legitimately ask. I ask because I'm supposed too not because I really want an answer.

Who obligates you to ask even if you're sure of what you saw? Why not just say you saw it and the batter didn't go? That's what I do. If I want another set of eyes, I appeal to my partner and whatever he says is fine with me.

Who obligates you to ask even if you're sure of what you saw? Why not just say you saw it and the batter didn't go? That's what I do. If I want another set of eyes, I appeal to my partner and whatever he says is fine with me.

OBR and NCAA ruleset require the PU to go unless it becomes a consistent bother.

But I'm with y'all. I'm not into the code stuff on this either. Heck, I'm always gonna keep the opportunity for a strike open

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ElkOil said:

Rule 8.02(c) Comment [emphasis added]:

The manager or the catcher may request the plate umpire to ask his partner for help on a half swing when the plate umpire calls Rule 8.02 92 the pitch a ball, but not when the pitch is called a strike.... Appeals on a half swing may be made only on the call of ball and when asked to appeal, the home plate umpire must refer to a base umpire for his judgment on the half swing. Should the base umpire call the pitch a strike, the strike call shall prevail.

4 hours ago, LRZ said:

Rule 8.02(c) Comment [emphasis added]:

The manager or the catcher may request the plate umpire to ask his partner for help on a half swing when the plate umpire calls Rule 8.02 92 the pitch a ball, but not when the pitch is called a strike.... Appeals on a half swing may be made only on the call of ball and when asked to appeal, the home plate umpire must refer to a base umpire for his judgment on the half swing. Should the base umpire call the pitch a strike, the strike call shall prevail.

Thanks. I get it if you have to appeal by rule.

What I don't understand is the "code" used to either be honest or support PU's call, even if it means BU saw something else. It's as if we have to be a team on the field in every case but this one. Color me confused.