Register or Sign In to remove these ads
eagle_12

Illegal Act by pitcher?

R1. Pitcher stands astride the pitchers rubber (with the baseball, not hidden ball trick), looks into the catcher who taps away on different parts of his body, chest, knee, mask, etc, pitcher nods and then engages rubber and goes into his stretch position. Again stares in at catcher but makes no head nod yes or no, but stares in for a period of time of at least 3-5 seconds (long enough to actually take a sign). F1 comes set and delivers the pitch. 

Now one when he stares in for second time, I don't know if catcher is giving a sign between his legs like normal, or if there is no confirmation nod from pitcher because if he's shown something that's what he has to throw.  My thought was I don't know what the "tapping" is for and once he engages the rubber, he at minimum simulated as though he was taking a sign.  

Thoughts?  

Register or Sign In to remove these ads

Your thinking is right, so don't think too much on it.   

By the way, F2's tapping signs meant:

Chest - I think she likes me;

Knee - I touched her on the knee;

Mask - Then she slapped my face. 

Come on, they're teenagers...it's all they ever think about.  Just ask a coach. 

Taking signs from the rubber is intended to prevent a pitcher from stepping on the rubber and quick pitching. I'm not worrying about what he does prior to engaging the rubber if he's taking the time to look in, stretch, and come set before delivering the pitch.

• Like 1

I couldn't care less that the pitcher is doing in this case. And really, neither should you. Umpiring is difficult enough without inviting issues like what the pitcher is doing when he's looking at the catcher while off the rubber. What's the left fielder doing while all this is going on?

The previous responses are exactly my line of thinking and what I told the coach when he wanted him balked for pretty much not shaking his head yes/no while on the rubber. He is at least looking like he is getting a sign while engage and not just stepping on and coming set. 

I agree with all the above. The tapping could be calling pitches, calling the defense (SS reads this one) or any other type of signals they may use. Really depends on the level of ball as how complicated it can get.

He is coming to a set, and not quick pitching, don't worry about the signals (unless you are bored and trying to figure what the pitcher is throwing). No balk here, he can move until coming set and he isn't simulating a pitch.

I've had 2 F2's use signals instead of numbers this year.  Maybe it's a new trend.  I agree with all of the above.