Thoughts about this slide

stkjock
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2939 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

My thoughts are that Utley needs another 'lesson'.

Other thoughts - does the new rule only apply in force play situations? I don't recall. Clearly an illegal slide in HS, though not a FSPR since it's not a force play situation. Wouldn't see any possible scenario of getting 2 outs, but runner is out no matter what for a Fed game.

4 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

funny this came up ...I was thinking the same thing when that play ended and I saw the replay realizing it was Utley

I happened to see it live last night but went to sleep before the vid was posted.

Here's the rule (from the press release)

Under the new Rule 6.01(j), a runner will have to make a "bona fide slide," which is defined as making contact with the ground before reaching the base, being able to and attempting to reach the base with a hand or foot, being able to and attempting to remain on the base at the completion of the slide (except at home plate) and not changing his path for the purpose of initiating contact with a fielder.

based on my reading of it, the slide appears to have been "bona fide"  however, it's really close.....  look where his leg first touches the ground.  Additionally he clearly (IMO) altered his path to the plate to come at the F2

Utley.jpg

2 minutes ago, stkjock said:

I happened to see it live last night but went to sleep before the vid was posted.

Here's the rule (from the press release)

based on my reading of it, the slide appears to have been "bona fide"  however, it's really close.....  look where his leg first touches the ground.

Utley.jpg

..............and not changing his path for the purpose of initiating contact with a fielder.

guilty

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

..............and not changing his path for the purpose of initiating contact with a fielder.

guilty

I missed that at the end... too much multi-tasking, thanks for pointing that out.

23 minutes ago, scrounge said:

Clearly an illegal slide in HS, though not a FSPR since it's not a force play situation.

Why is this "clearly illegal in HS?" (I couldn't watch the video, so all I have is the still above and there's not enough there to make a determination.

Why is this "clearly illegal in HS?" (I couldn't watch the video, so all I have is the still above and there's not enough there to make a determination.

Cross body slide?

Tries to injure fielder? (Not likely bc that would be MC)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, noumpere said:

I think there are multiple elements of an illegal slide in HS, all violations of 2-32-1 and 2-32-2:

• he doesn't have a leg/buttock on the ground until pretty much contacting the catcher
  • the slide is a cross-body slide
  • Utley goes beyond the base and makes contact with the fielder

19 minutes ago, scrounge said:

I think there are multiple elements of an illegal slide in HS, all violations of 2-32-1 and 2-32-2:

• he doesn't have a leg/buttock on the ground until pretty much contacting the catcher
  • the slide is a cross-body slide
  • Utley goes beyond the base and makes contact with the fielder

Somone posted earlier that the runner was on the ground.

Based on F2's position in the still picture, I don't see this as "going beyond the base and then making contact)

Maybe the cross-body slide because his actions after the pitcher could go either way.

7 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

guilty

That's why a screen shot doesn't tell the whole story.  Utley put himself in fair territory far up the line because he knew the path of the throw was coming right down the line.  Completely in his rights to do so in making his own base path.  The MLB rule doesn't require you to avoid contact, it just prohibits you from changing your path to initiate contact.

29 minutes ago, johnpatrick said:

That's why a screen shot doesn't tell the whole story.  Utley put himself in fair territory far up the line because he knew the path of the throw was coming right down the line.  Completely in his rights to do so in making his own base path.  The MLB rule doesn't require you to avoid contact, it just prohibits you from changing your path to initiate contact.

BS. He takes another step directly at F2 after the ball is past him. He clearly "deviated from his direct pathway to the plate in order to initiate contact with the catcher".  Textbook violation of 6.01(i)(1)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, johnpatrick said:

couldn't disagree more.  But that's ok ...........

12 hours ago, Richvee said:

BS. He takes another step directly at F2 after the ball is past him. He clearly "deviated from his direct pathway to the plate in order to initiate contact with the catcher".  Textbook violation of 6.01(i)(1)

YES, this! :nod: 

On 4/5/2016 at 5:07 PM, johnpatrick said:

Ummmmmmyeahno.

Bear in mind, this isn't an issue of the new bona fide slide rule, it's a question of the 'old' home plate collision rule. In other words, this play is not about the Utley/Tejada rule. It's the Cousins/Posey rule.

A runner attempting to score may not deviate from his direct pathway to the plate in order to initiate contact with the catcher (or other player covering home plate). If, in the judgment of the umpire, a runner attempting to score initiates contact with the catcher (or other player covering home plate) in such a manner, the umpire shall declare the runner out (even if the player covering home plate loses possession of the ball). In such circumstances, the umpire shall call the ball dead, and all other baserunners shall return to the last base touched at the time of the collision.

5 minutes ago, kylejt said:

As a long, long suffering Padres fan, why didn't one of our pitchers put one in Utley's backpocket to stick up for smashing into their starting catcher?

It's a long season, played by players with long memories.

6 hours ago, stkjock said:

@Gil: Owner - UEFL so do you think that call would have been made if the tag had not been applied as cleanly to get the out on the play?

I think the issue of "deviate from his direct pathway to the plate in order to initiate contact with the catcher" would be called into question. Because the catcher himself took action to avoid the collision, we have no "at the time of the collision." Had there been a collision, there would be cause for an out.