Cell Phones

LRZ
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2718 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I always carry mine when working kid games. Makes it easier to "friend" all the hot single mom's on Facebook when I chat them up at the fence between innings and at the concession stand or in the parking lots between games. Just sayin.......

LMAO

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Majordave said:

I always carry mine when working kid games. Makes it easier to "friend" all the hot single mom's on Facebook when I chat them up at the fence between innings and at the concession stand or in the parking lots between games. Just sayin.......

LMAO

Wait until they get a load of your scooter.  Those things are chick magnets...

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Majordave said:

LMAO

Don't laugh. I was at my car after a college DH last year when a cute student asked me out.

1 hour ago, Majordave said:

LMAO

I always get on Tinder and set it to 1 mile limit. 

• Like 2

If there's administration there, nope. That's their job. In rec-ball where most likely I *am* the administration, I'll bring it to the park, but typically leave it off the field. If I had my phone with me, the temptation to play a quick round of Sudoku or 0hn0 would be too great.

School ball, no.  Rec and travel,  yes.  After some of the confrontations, I need to make sure I have the ability to call the police.  Afterall, it was me that took the game away from their son's team.  Never mind that they were down by 13 and the game ended when R2 clobbered F6 who was trying to field the ball and there were two outs.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, conbo61 said:

Wait until they get a load of your scooter.  Those things are chick magnets...

Has there been any sightings of @Majordave at any fields on his hover round?  I hear he's taking a vacation from umpiring this year.

Image result for hoveround

• Like 2

The cell phone, argggggg! I used mine as my timer, set it and forget it. This year I have my old cell with no service I'll be using. It is absolutely my biggest BIGGEST gripe about younger partners of a certain generation that text ON THE FIELD! I have been know to snatched cell phones out of their hands and let them know they'll get it back in the parking lot. One guy was texting in between pitches!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Pet peeve of mine ...

We are supposed to be there to umpire, not check our phones. If you need a timing device, there are pocket watches or stop watches. What happens when that fancy phone gets hit by the ball? There is no need for a phone on the field, and it looks unprofessional if the crowd / coaches and all - to see you checking the phone.

• Like 1

My association has a strict no cell phone policy. Unless you are required to keep one on you for your FT job. I took mine out once when neither my partner or I had a watch and we had a drop dead limit we didn't want to miss. But I kept it on Airplane mode. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ZebraStripes said:

Never mind that they were down by 13 and the game ended when R2 clobbered F6 who was trying to field the ball and there were two outs.

You probably embarrassed him in front of the MLB scouts and cost him a shot at the pros, too. You bastard.

• Like 3

Never take a cell phone onto the field.  With my luck, I'd figure a way to break it.

I figure if someone does need to call 911, I hope at least one person in the stand would be on my side (assuming they could stop video taping what ever was going on long enough to make the call)

I also have a cheap $15 soccer referee watch with a count down timer for the drop dead games.

Working a JV game the other day... 2nd inning or so I realize I put my phone in my R/F pocket out of habit when closing up the car! OPPS!

Thankfully my ball bags have a zippered pocket on the backside... between innings slipped it out of my front pocket and into my ball bag... Made the bag a little heavy but other than that... none the wiser. 

That was my senior moment for the day.

Okay...let me play devil's advocate here.

First, as an umpire, I never ever take a cell phone on the field.  And, the idea of doing so appalls me.

However, as most of you know, I'm the President of the largest high school umpire group in the Palmetto State.  Early this season, we had an umpire take out his cell phone numerous times during a game (including talking on it between innings).  This was reported to the Board by his partner and the head coaches.  As a result, the Board wanted me to fire off an email to the membership stating that, "cell phones are not allowed on the field, period."

After thinking about the Board's request I posed this to them:  "Let's say we have an umpire get threatened either on the field, at his car, in the locker room (if one has been provided) or while walking between any of those locations.  And let's say that the umpire feels so threatened that he wants to call 9-1-1...but we've told him that association members absolutely cannot take their phones on the field.  Where does that leave us (the association), legally, when he gets physically assaulted?"  My answer was that we may not be liable at all to that member, but at a minimum it buys us a lawsuit which could cost us more than our annual budget in legal fees.

Some said, "well, we never took phones on the field when we umpired in the days before cell phones."  I said that I knew that, and respected that, but that has no bearing on today. 

So, what I did was write an email stating that we prefer that phones not be taken on the field, but that if you feel you need to take your phone in case an emergency arises, you can do so BUT you are only to use the phone for an actual emergency in which 9-1-1, the police or fire/rescue are called, and that the phone must remain out-of-sight at all times unless an emergency call is being made.

• Like 4

Several years ago, I bought a Tracfone for taking out in the field. This thing was a very small flip phone and would fit perfect in one of the ball bag pockets. It cost all of $10 at Walmart. You have to buy these cards to activate it, but if you don't activate it, it will still call 911. I thought it was perfect for doing just that, calling 911, and telling the time of day. I actually never used it but I thought it was a good idea none the less.