Thanks, skip!

Welpe
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2906 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I had a freshman doubleheader today that was a real treat. Pitchers hit their spots, batters swinging freely and fielders were making plays.

During the second game, I was working the bases in a tight game in the top of the sixth. We hadn't had anything really controversial all game. With no one on, visiting batter chops one in front of the plate and goes flying down the line.

The play at first is as close as can be and I end up punching the BR out. The bench erupts as to be expected and then dies down quickly. I hear a player yell from what he thought was the safety of the dug out "We know you just want to go home!"

Not knowing who said it, I figure I'd just burn the dugout for a bit. I didn't get the chance as the head coach goes flying into his dugout from the third base coach's box yelling "WHO SAID THAT? WHO?"

"You knock that crap off, this isn't travel ball anymore, he will run your ass!"

I nodded my thanks across to the head coach.

In the bottom of the 7th, I balked their pitcher for failing to stop. One of the assistants started complaining and the HC told him "He already told us what happened. Knock it off." Not another peep from them.

I love when a head coach has control of his team, it makes our lives so much easier.

• Like 8

Years ago at a travel tournament, I had a not-so-close play at the plate to end a late half-inning.  The runner starts screaming at me that F2 missed the tag which he clearly didn't. The 3B coach comes running up to the plate and I get ready for the worst.  The coach partially jumps over his runner, who is still sitting on the ground, and to my surprise turns his back to me.  He then bends over and gets right in the kids face yelling something to the effect, "If you would have started running as fast as you finished running, you wouldn't be here arguing about a tag.  Now get your [lazy butt] off the ground and out in the field before your replacement gets there." 

The coach was Frank Tanana Walt Terrell.

• Like 1

A couple of years ago I was on the bases in C when R2 (his teams F6) and the DT F6 start jawing with each other.  R2 had been running his mouth earlier in the game but not to this extent and there had been some interaction between the HT bench and the VT HC (he was coaching 3rd).

I turned around and gave them both a stern "Knock it off!" 

Between innings we called the coaches together and I explained what was happening and that after the next knucklehead opens his mouth I am tossing the first player I see from each team when I turn around.

The VT coach replied "Good! Toss 'em all.  There is no place for that here.  No issue from me."  The HT Coach echoed his sentiments.

We almost had to call a trainer because I suddenly became dizzy and almost fainted.

My "Thanks Skip" moment was a little less dramatic.  HS JR Varsity game, late start due to weather.  There is a very long fence from the backstop, well past the end of the dugouts.  The school provides "chairs" for the players to sit in during the game.  Well, in the latter innings, the Varsity returned, and came in to watch the game.  I looked over and ALL of the chairs were taken by the varsity team, while the JV is clearly not happy about this.  Knowing the Varsity coach for some time (who came out to coach 1B), I asked him how their game went.  After some brief chit chat, I asked that since the varsity played their game, would he mind excusing them from the dugout so the JV team could enjoy themselves.  He had no issue with that and cleared the dugout.  Apparently, he filled them in when he went to the dugout because F3 thanked me when he came out for top of 7th.

The good thing is that we both knew it wasn't my place to ask for this, but he knew where I was coming from.  You gotta let the JV feel important at their own game.:wow2:

On 3/25/2016 at 9:52 AM, Aging_Arbiter said:

Heyyyyyyyyyy..............................Is THAT coach a former umpire?  Things that make you go Hmmmmmmmmmm.............

Could be. I could tell he had a clue either way between the way he ran things and the way he addressed us. This is a nationally known school in the SF Bay Area and they generally do a great job with this stuff. One of their assistants is this older guy who you can tell is all old school baseball. I had them again this week and he tried giving me some gruff and once he realized I wasn't going to be baited or tolerate it, he didn't say another word. I kind of like him.

• 1 month later...

In my very first JUCO game, earlier this year, the VT leadoff batter has a 3-1 count. Pitch comes in a little high, but I called a strike as he was halfway down the line (my timing is slower than most) and he has tossed his bat to the fence. He stops and turns around and is giving me a look like I'm crazy, all of a sudden, I hear from the 3BC (VT HC), "Get your bat and get in the box". Next pitch is a little higher and it's ball 4. As he slowly turns to toss his bat, he gives me the glare again, 3BC shouts again "Run down to first base, NOW!" I look over to 3BC and he said "I got this!" I nodded and gave him a thumbs up. Runner eventually makes it to 3B. He eventually scores and prior to leaving the dirt, he apologized 3 times! I turned to the 3BC and thanked him! Doing a little research I found out that the coach was recently inducted into the JUCO Hall of Fame! I don't know how much college ball I will do, but if they handle business this way, I will work as much as I can!

57 minutes ago, NavyChiefBlue said:

In my very first JUCO game, earlier this year, the VT leadoff batter has a 3-1 count. Pitch comes in a little high, but I called a strike as he was halfway down the line (my timing is slower than most) and he has tossed his bat to the fence. He stops and turns around and is giving me a look like I'm crazy, all of a sudden, I hear from the 3BC (VT HC), "Get your bat and get in the box". Next pitch is a little higher and it's ball 4. As he slowly turns to toss his bat, he gives me the glare again, 3BC shouts again "Run down to first base, NOW!" I look over to 3BC and he said "I got this!" I nodded and gave him a thumbs up. Runner eventually makes it to 3B. He eventually scores and prior to leaving the dirt, he apologized 3 times! I turned to the 3BC and thanked him! Doing a little research I found out that the coach was recently inducted into the JUCO Hall of Fame! I don't know how much college ball I will do, but if they handle business this way, I will work as much as I can!

It doesn't always go that way :) but it is a lot better that HS or other ball. The coaches know when they can 'discuss' calls and when they can't like this Balls/strikes call. For the most part college coaches will chirp, but do a great job of keeping the benches and players under control.

• Like 1