Under the Plate Coat

Mr Ump
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2930 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

On March 9, 2016 at 5:58 PM, Kevin_K said:

Must look kinda silly when you are the bases though. :wave:

Well there is no official dress code for a plate coat so if the shirt matches the pants I think it could work. I probably will try it just to see if I like it.

• Like 1

I don't think it'd look terrible but I have to admit I kind of prefer the look of the open protector under the coat. I bet my All-Star would look sharp.

But for the love of Pete, unbutton that bottom button. Sorry, personal pet peeve of mine with sport coats and suits in general. ;)

20 hours ago, umpstu said:

I don't know if I were to wear a gray shirt. We might think it would look cool, but it could also draw unwanted comments and attention to the umpire.  Kind of like when I wore a red +pos mask many years ago.

WHAT ?!?!?!?   Come on ...........  a gray shirt would draw attention to the umpire?!? :no:  hardly......... 

6 hours ago, RichMSN said:

I have two plate coats. Will be a cold day in hell before I wear a shirt over my protector when rocking the coat.

I just don't like the look of the open chest protector. Plus after 13 years my WV logo is pretty scratched up. Just a personal preference. To each their own.

7 hours ago, Welpe said:

I don't think it'd look terrible but I have to admit I kind of prefer the look of the open protector under the coat. I bet my All-Star would look sharp.

But for the love of Pete, unbutton that bottom button. Sorry, personal pet peeve of mine with sport coats and suits in general. ;)

Yeah I know the button should not be buttoned. I don't know why I did that as I don't do that when wearing regular suits. I will have to look into that more this year.

• Like 1

A question for you - How does the jacket move when wearing a shirt over the chest protector?

I love the comfort of my plate coat, but I go with the jacket only over the CP. The jacket seems to move as needed over the pads and it doesn't bind. I am not so much on the look, but on the comfort and being functional.

50 minutes ago, maineump said:

A question for you - How does the jacket move when wearing a shirt over the chest protector?

I love the comfort of my plate coat, but I go with the jacket only over the CP. The jacket seems to move as needed over the pads and it doesn't bind. I am not so much on the look, but on the comfort and being functional.

Moves great. No different than if I had on a suit with a mock under the jacket. The pads under the jacket with no shirt over them looks half dressed to me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Ump said:

I just don't like the look of the open chest protector. Plus after 13 years my WV logo is pretty scratched up. Just a personal preference. To each their own.

I have just the solution...I'm currently working on a project and when I'm done, I'll post pics.

If you haven't tried a shirt between your c/p and your plate coat, try it. You'll be marveled by the silky feel, and the much more comfortable movement it gives.

If you don't like the look, that's cool. But it feels great.

I'm not too sure about gray, though, If you don't match your pants, I think it'll look goofy. And I think matching your pants would look a little odd, too. As a pitcher, I wouldn't be crazy about white shirts on umpires. I wore a red undershirt under my navy plate coat, and it was sharp, IMO.

21 hours ago, kylejt said:

If you haven't tried a shirt between your c/p and your plate coat, try it. You'll be marveled by the silky feel, and the much more comfortable movement it gives.

If you don't like the look, that's cool. But it feels great.

I'm not too sure about gray, though, If you don't match your pants, I think it'll look goofy. And I think matching your pants would look a little odd, too. As a pitcher, I wouldn't be crazy about white shirts on umpires. I wore a red undershirt under my navy plate coat, and it was sharp, IMO.

I wear a shirt between my skin and my plate coat and a moister wick shirt over the plate coat. I don't like the expose chest protector look. that look is for catchers, not umps in my opinion. My plate coat is black. Hopefully the pitcher is looking at the catchers glove and not my chest.