VHSL Test

Storm13
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2930 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I am new umpire in VA and took the VHSL test this morning....not a very good result.  Any suggestion of help that someone could give?  Would have been nice to have like practice test or something.  Thanks for anything you can suggest.

Find a good mentor, or find a study group. Many associations will have some study groups, just ask around to see what you can find.

If the questions are FED, then really study the situations, as most of that test comes out of that book.

We have many that have a hard time on the written test, but do very well on the field and they do study groups. Sometimes the rules and situations just need to be put into a different context.

3 minutes ago, maineump said:

Find a good mentor, or find a study group. Many associations will have some study groups, just ask around to see what you can find.

If the questions are FED, then really study the situations, as most of that test comes out of that book.

We have many that have a hard time on the written test, but do very well on the field and they do study groups. Sometimes the rules and situations just need to be put into a different context.

Thanks for the encouragement...I just emailed my association president and hope he can help me find a good group to work with to retake the test.

• Like 1

With a runner on third, the batter hits a high pop fly that drifts over foul territory. The third baseman is accidentally prevented from catching the ball by the runner at third base.  A. Foul ball; B. The runner at third is out; C. The batter is out; D. The coach is restricted to the bench 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DWDIII said:

With a runner on third, the batter hits a high pop fly that drifts over foul territory. The third baseman is accidentally prevented from catching the ball by the runner at third base.  A. Foul ball; B. The runner at third is out; C. The batter is out; D. The coach is restricted to the bench 

Why is that an issue?  It's a good topic for a question because the rule was changed a few years ago, and it's good to get people to remember the change.

15 hours ago, DWDIII said:

Is there a change i'm not aware of? It's just B isn't it?

29 minutes ago, GreyhoundAggie said:

Is there a change i'm not aware of? It's just B isn't it?

That is why I hate these questions...The way i read it the runner is at third on the base so are we saying he has to leave the base to get out of the third baseman's way?  Also what if this was a coach I would think the batter would be out but not 110% sure.

36 minutes ago, Storm13 said:

That is why I hate these questions...The way i read it the runner is at third on the base so are we saying he has to leave the base to get out of the third baseman's way?  Also what if this was a coach I would think the batter would be out but not 110% sure.

Don't read it this way Storm. It's just saying there is a runner at 3rd. They will usually specify if he is in contact with the base. Don't assume he is in contact with the base. And he is entitled to stay on the base as long as the interference is not intentional. In this case they are implying, in my opinion, he is not in contact with the base and interferes with the opportunity to make the play by the 3rd baseman

33 minutes ago, noumpere said:

If the question was asked a few (5?) years ago, the answer would have been C.  It was an exception to the "the player who interferes is out" guideline.

Ahh ok. I guess I've thought of it the other way so long I didn't remember.

On 02/09/2016 at 7:51 PM, DWDIII said:

Since A and B are both correct if R3 is off the base when he interferes, perhaps it's not a  stretch to think they they mean R3 is ON 3rd. In that case, if the INT is not intentional, (which is clarified in this question with "Accidentally prevented from catching the ball") and there is only one correct answer....A

24 minutes ago, Umpire in Chief said:

@Storm13 I'm taking my VHSL test this weekend. 

Did you do the online rule clinic where the covered the penalty for a coach picking up a base and throwing it at your head? I watched it at work and literally laughed out loud when I heard that.

Yes...I watched it and wish they would have invested that time and money to create a study guide or materials to assist umpires with the testing.

I have 2 questions that I wanted to get some help with.  They are similar and simple I just can not imagine it in my head to figure out the position.

1) The pitcher places his entire pivot foot in contact with the pitching plate and his entire non-pivot foot in front of a line extending through the front edge of the pitching plate.

A) This is an illegal pitching position.

B) This is a legal wind-up position.

C) This is a legal set position.

2) The pitcher places his pivot foot on the pitching plate with the toe of the pivot foot in front of a line through the front edge of the plate and the toe of his pivot foot behind the back edge. His non-pivot foot is on and partially behind a line extending through the front edge of the pitching plate.

42 minutes ago, Storm13 said:

I have 2 questions that I wanted to get some help with.  They are similar and simple I just can not imagine it in my head to figure out the position.

1) The pitcher places his entire pivot foot in contact with the pitching plate and his entire non-pivot foot in front of a line extending through the front edge of the pitching plate.

2) The pitcher places his pivot foot on the pitching plate with the toe of the pivot foot in front of a line through the front edge of the plate and the toe of his pivot foot behind the back edge. His non-pivot foot is on and partially behind a line extending through the front edge of the pitching plate.

1 is "C"

2 is "B" if you change the second "toe" to "heal".

44 minutes ago, Storm13 said:

1) Reads like a legal set.

2) I think you have a typo.  I think they are trying to describe a legal wind-up.

The typo is on the test - ready for one more : a batter is out when hitting a foul ball while either foot or knee is touching the ground completely outside the lines of the batter's box or touching home plate when one of the following occurs: a. A fair ball; b. A foul ball; c. A foul tip; d. All of the above

On 2/10/2016 at 6:31 PM, DWDIII said:

The typo is on the test - ready for one more : a batter is out when hitting a foul ball while either foot or knee is touching the ground completely outside the lines of the batter's box or touching home plate when one of the following occurs: a. A fair ball; b. A foul ball; c. A foul tip; d. All of the above

This question does not seem to make sence...how can a batter hit a foul ball.  In order for the ball to be foul doesn't he/she have to have already hit the ball?

9 hours ago, Storm13 said:

This question does not seem to make sence...how can a batter hit a foul ball.  In order for the ball to be foul doesn't he/she have to have already hit the ball?

The question is incorrect because it first states the batter hits a foul ball, then continues and gives you the choices. I believe they want it to read that "a batter is out while either foot or knee is touching..." etc. In that case, D would be correct.

• Like 1