2016 NCAA Test Discussion

grayhawk
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2931 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

52 minutes ago, lawump said:

The problem I had was that I could not tell if the examiners were asking us to answer the question assuming that the umpires in the game were correct in their call of intentional interference...or if they were asking us what the call should have been (which, in my opinion, is simple (non-intentional) interference).  I have read, re-read and re-read that question and I still have no idea.  I went with the latter (that they were asking us what the call should have been) and I picked "c". 

I scored a 96 on the test, but they didn't tell me what two questions I missed.  So, I don't know if I got it right or wrong.

@lawump - I agree about the non-clarity of the question (q 50) - because I read it differently than you.  I read it as since the crew's ruling was that it was intentional, what is the applicable penalty according to the rules.  8-5d says to get two if deemed intentional and DP likely -- which seem to be the wording in the question.  Based on that, I put "R1 is out for interference. Batter is also called out.".  I haven't submitted yet, so I don't know if that is what the examiners were looking for or not...

For #34, suppose we don't call a ball. We've seen it and have to remove the ball at least. That would be hard to do discretely. OHC "Hey if you do that there has to be a penalty <paraphrase, insert explitives>. Unlike a dead ball balk, when play resumes we start fresh, nothing carries over. Here, if play resumes right away we still have a gooey ball. Call a ball. Just my thoughts.

1 minute ago, GerryB said:

For #34, suppose we don't call a ball. We've seen it and have to remove the ball at least. That would be hard to do discretely. OHC "Hey if you do that there has to be a penalty <paraphrase, insert explitives>. Unlike a dead ball balk, when play resumes we start fresh, nothing carries over. Here, if play resumes right away we still have a gooey ball. Call a ball. Just my thoughts.

He wiped before he touched the ball.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, GreyhoundAggie said:

I got 11 wrong then. Think I put that it reverts to the previous inning since they equaled the number of runs. Thanks for the clarification.

2) That's what I put. Only get R3 since the ball was foul. Just wasn't positive if NCAA was any different. Thanks noumpere.

The revert piece is kind of mythical in baseball.  I  would guess that the guy who missed that one, all selected the revert option.

15 minutes ago, scubabob34 said:

@lawump - I agree about the non-clarity of the question (q 50) - because I read it differently than you.  I read it as since the crew's ruling was that it was intentional, what is the applicable penalty according to the rules.  8-5d says to get two if deemed intentional and DP likely -- which seem to be the wording in the question.  Based on that, I put "R1 is out for interference. Batter is also called out.".  I haven't submitted yet, so I don't know if that is what the examiners were looking for or not...

Except the crew didn't rule intentional interference in the game.  The only got R1.  They only ruled "intentional interference" in the verbiage of the question...not even in the handling situations video did they say it was intentional interference.  

36 minutes ago, johnnyg08 said:

Except the crew didn't rule intentional interference in the game.  The only got R1.  They only ruled "intentional interference" in the verbiage of the question...not even in the handling situations video did they say it was intentional interference.  

I wouldn't get caught up in how that video has been presented in the past.  The question posed a specific scenario, and you should answer it based only on the scenario presented.  My answer is to get R1 and the BR due to intentional interference with a double play likely.

1 minute ago, grayhawk said:

I wouldn't get caught up in how that video has been presented in the past.  The question posed a specific scenario, and you should answer it based only on the scenario presented.  My answer is to get R1 and the BR due to intentional interference with a double play likely.

I'm not caught up in it...just a blatant inconsistency. The answer to that one is easy.

Just now, johnnyg08 said:

I'm not caught up in it...just a blatant inconsistency. The answer to that one is easy.

Gotcha.  I thought you were struggling with your answer due to the way the video was presented in the past.

1 hour ago, grayhawk said:

^^^^ - This.  I agree that's not what happened at the game - but Randy said (at least at the Chicago meeting) to not read too much into the test questions...so I'm thinking the video as presented at the meeting was educational for us as to how we should rule if this ever happens to US, not what that particular crew did...

36 minutes ago, scubabob34 said:

^^^^ - This.  I agree that's not what happened at the game - but Randy said (at least at the Chicago meeting) to not read too much into the test questions...so I'm thinking the video as presented at the meeting was educational for us as to how we should rule if this ever happens to US, not what that particular crew did...

What did he say about the Vandy rundown?  The call on the field was OBS, the call on the field stands...BUT the video also said that HPU needed to step up and grab the interference.  Another guy who was there said to just get the out.  I'm okay w/ any of them...I just want to put what they want us to put.

Here's a play from the BRD:

Play 258-400: R3 The pitcher is: (a) on the pitcher’s plate, or (b) on the mound, but not in intentional contact with the pitcher’s plate when he touches his pitching hand to his mouth. Ruling: FED: In (a), it is an immediate balk and R3 scores. In (b), it is a ball only if the pitcher touches the ball without wiping off his hand and engages the pitcher’s plate. NCAA: It is a ball in (a) but legal in (b) unless F1 fails to wipe off his hand, when the penalty is also a ball. OBR: In (a), it is a ball; in (b), it is a ball if the pitcher does not wipe the fingers of his pitching hand before touching the ball.

57 minutes ago, johnnyg08 said:

What did he say about the Vandy rundown?  The call on the field was OBS, the call on the field stands...BUT the video also said that HPU needed to step up and grab the interference.  Another guy who was there said to just get the out.  I'm okay w/ any of them...I just want to put what they want us to put.

The conclusion that I remember was that this was nothing--no INT, and no OBS due to the intentional contact. 

52 minutes ago, Matt said:

The conclusion that I remember was that this was nothing--no INT, and no OBS due to the intentional contact. 

Seems like what I remember as well.  Now I'm questioning my answer that this is OBS.  Is this video on the DVD?

Question #40:

The suspension grid says arguing by a player "whose last listed position is pitcher" is a four game suspension. If the player is moved to RF and is then ejected, last listed would be RF, one game? or at least that is what I think it implies.

But the in the rules clarifications, pg. 6, we have

Clarifies AR5 that when a player is removed as a pitcher
but remains in the game as a position player and is
subsequently ejected, the suspension will be for a total of
four games

And oddly, I don't think AR5 says that. Rather it says "applicable suspensions apply", so back to the grid...

1 minute ago, GerryB said:

Question #40:

The suspension grid says arguing by a player "whose last listed position is pitcher" is a four game suspension. If the player is moved to RF and is then ejected, last listed would be RF, one game? or at least that is what I think it implies.

But the in the rules clarifications, pg. 6, we have

Clarifies AR5 that when a player is removed as a pitcher
but remains in the game as a position player and is
subsequently ejected, the suspension will be for a total of
four games

And oddly, I don't think AR5 says that. Rather it says "applicable suspensions apply", so back to the grid...

He's now playing F2-F9...so he get the EJ for that game, plus one...as stated on the chart.  You were right w/ your approach to the question.

20 hours ago, johnnyg08 said:

Is this the rundown where U3 called OBS and scored the runner? Where the runner ran into the catcher going back toward the plate? The consensus on this was that OBS was the correct call, at least in Chicago.