Facebook discussion: 1 or 2 ball bags

Thunderheads
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2961 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Depends on how many baseballs are being used to me, and I don't keep anything other than baseballs in them.

Normal HS games here = 4 baseballs, sometimes 5 = 1 bag. Anything that start 5 baseballs or above = 2 bags.

Just make sure they match !!

I wear two black ball bags. Lacing them in before I put my pants on is part of my equipment check. I use the XL Ump attire bags with the hidden zip pocket for my car's valet key. My indicator goes in the slot in the left bag and my plate brush goes in the slot of the right bag. I feel good about how it looks and I'm ready to handle my responsibilities without distraction. I don't care if my partner wears only one when he has the plate as long as they can manage getting innings started and maintain a steady supply of baseballs. Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

I don't wear any ball bags, I just shove the baseballs in my pants pockets. One in each pocket gets me four. Brush and lineup card go in my front shirt pocket.

OK seriously: I wear two because I like the symmetry and I've gotten in the habit of keeping my lineup card and indicator in my left bag and my brush in my right.

This stems back to aways in MLB baseball.  It used to help indicate after the strike if you where a AL vs NL guy.  Also it was a indicator that you went to Harry's vs Jimmy's school.  You'll see alot of ex-MiLB guys doing it.  So now there has become a stigma against guys in higher levels who haven't earned the right to that distinction.  Is it a personal preference yes, however understanding at the high levels that this might be seen by others is important.  I use two for the simple fact that I can't have any misperception from anyone with it.  It makes it easier and doesn't draw undue attention.  Whether your tall or short, ex pro/amatuer, in LL or College.  2 ball bags is the conservative route to go.

This entire subject should have NOTHING to do with how others perceive you as an umpire.  It's actually kind of pathetic (not your post, just the concept of it)

• Like 1

I've worn one every dish of my life, but this HS association wants two ball bags, so one just came in the mail. :shrug:

Well, it looks like it's time for me to dust off the old, "Get the damn call right" statement.

Did your association's Führer state the reasoning for requiring 2 satchels? Must be a pretty good association top to bottom if ball pouches are a topic of concern. 

What are the penalties for only wearing one?

Edited by MidAmUmp
  • Like 4

Well, it looks like it's time for me to dust off the old, "Get the damn call right" statement.

Did your association's Führer state the reasoning for requiring 2 satchels? Must be a pretty good association top to bottom if ball pouches are a topic of concern. 

What are the penalties for only wearing one?

It is not written into the bylaws, but it is viewed very unprofessional not to.

Potentially missing varsity assignments is not worth $10.

Wow, Got to agree with MidAmUmp, there have to be bigger things to worry about than that.

So they either pay for all of your uniforms or pay you well enough, that they can tell you what you HAVE to use. I can understand shirts, hats kind of stuff, but that is too much.

Our HS board is about 50/50 on 1 or 2. In college, bigger high schools and legion we wear 2 because of the ball leaving the park area, and it is to keep from always needing baseballs delivered. Smaller HS, generally they come back pretty fast with the next hitters.

At least GA approved charcoal pants, so you have that going for you...

• Like 1

At least GA approved charcoal pants, so you have that going for you...

I actually didn't know they did, but we are strictly heather. My only real complaint is the GHSA patched shirt restriction. They only come in navy and powder. I'd much rather pro and black.

• Like 1

I actually didn't know they did, but we are strictly heather. My only real complaint is the GHSA patched shirt restriction. They only come in navy and powder. I'd much rather pro and black.

it just came out today that charcoal or heather are ok for the regular season, but heather only for playoffs.  That is a start and hopefully with more protest they will change to charcoal for playoffs as well. 

• Like 1

On 1/22/2016 at 2:25 PM, DVA7130 said:

Are you serious? On the top 20 list of things to worry about, this is the 67th.

Do they have an opinion on tighty whities vs boxers as well? Maybe brand of socks too?

I like 2, I think it looks more balanced plus on the practical side I keep the balls in the right bag, my brush and indicator (when not using it) in the left.  I will also put any "questionable" balls (seem coming out, flat spots, cut in the ball etc) I have on the left and only use them when i run out of the good balls.

I'm a 2 bagger myself, though I have nothing against people wearing 1, as long as it doesn't slow up the pace of play. I had a partner once that would only keep 2 in his bag, we had to stop constantly to get more balls - not cool. 

I keep my indicator in the left ball bag and not my hand. I just reach in a click it after outs and about every other pitch. I love the feeling of having my heads freed up while I'm back there. 

I also want as many balls as I can fit out there without them spilling out when I'm running around. The less I have to look over to dugouts to ask for things, the better. 

I wear 2 because I like the balanced look and I always have at least 4 baseballs and that would look strange shoved into 1 bag.  I don't care what others wear - personal preference. However... I draw the line when I'm PU, and my partner wants to wear one in the field.  Ummm... NO!  That happened last year in a JV game.

I did'nt say that you said ALL .......  I'm simply telling you what I found and clarifying..... most MLB guys wear 2 .....  with a quick view of the roster ....I came up with 10 who use one

I came up with 11

lol

• Like 1

I agree with others who have said this is rather trivial.  In the grand scheme of things, does it really matter how many ball bags a PU chooses to wear?  That being said, I wear 2, not because it looks better, but I (like to) have anywhere between 4-6 baseballs at a time, and one ball bag wouldn't be sufficient for that.

17 hours ago, Umpirechick1 said:

I wear 2 because I like the balanced look and I always have at least 4 baseballs and that would look strange shoved into 1 bag.  I don't care what others wear - personal preference. However... I draw the line when I'm PU, and my partner wants to wear one in the field.  Ummm... NO!  That happened last year in a JV game.

Even better are the guys that show up to clinics with their ball bags on.  At least they are at a clinic trying to get better, and it's a great place to learn NOT to wear ball bags when on the bases.

• Like 1

I'm envious of you guys that have access to more than 4 baseballs.  Most HS ball is 4.  I use 2 ball bags there.  Holiday tourneys, I usually have all the baseballs I want so I wear 2 bags and rotate 6 balls.  Most rec ball, I'm lucky if I get more than 2 baseballs, so then I only use one bag.

• Like 1