Umpires get Stiffed

MB_Ump
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3021 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I first started doing soccer when I was 14-16 years old. I worked for the local Parks & Rec Dept. We got paid twice a year, the end of June and the end of December.

As for this situation, the organization has an obligation, if this "Robert Blatcher" who operates this organization did not incorporate appropriately he very may well be personally liable. 

I personally cannot see a situation where they wouldn't be able to pay the officials. My very generic understanding is that the assigners charge the umpire fees plus a booking/administrative fee. 

I wish these officials the best of luck in getting their owed money plus any sort of additional judgement. 

This happened to some guys I actually know and work baseball with. I've seen the emails from Blatcher-the assignER for them. He's a had lad based upon what I read and what I've been told. Mismanagement of the highest order and possibly some criminal activity. I referred him/ them to the local county/district prosecuting attorney's office as well as to seek local counsel. Hopefully the guy has something to attach and sell if the cash doesn't show up soon. 

Word is that the bearer of the bad news is an NCAA Division I softball umpire. I recommended they squeeze him from every angle. 

One of the schools where the umpire I spoke with worked verified they had paid Blatcher for the games worked but payment was not made to the umpires who actually worked it. Lots of emails indicating payment was forthcoming. Excuses about having problems learning and using Arbiter to "verify" the games worked and if payment was received from the customers. 

Very fishy and unfortunate situation indeed. Was probably gambled away or misappropriated. A full and complete accounting is in order for this assigner to clear this up. 

My last bit of advice was don't work softball for crooks and demand immediate payment.  Don't wait six months or more  

We all have to watch for this kind of stuff. Before you go to work for someone, check them out and find out how payments are made. Assigning is a big business to some, but we need our pay as well.

My college board has the schools listed on their website, who pays at the game and who pays through him. If they pay through him, then we get one check at the end of the season. It works well, but everyone needs to keep track of what is owed.

If this guy is using arbiter, then there are no excuses. He can see and we can see the games worked. No excuse for this, I am sure he adds on assignors fees either to the teams or the officials (or both).

• 2 weeks later...