Obstruction (Type B?)

jpperez14
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3071 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Only award you could consider giving is R2 being rewarded home (which he got anyways). You would not give awards to other runners unless they are forced to move up to cancel out the infraction. In this case, you would not, since the offended runner is the lead runner.

Also, FED is always delayed dead. What in NCAA, and if I remember now in OBR, is refered to now as Type 2. So you would let the play continue since no play was happening to R2 at the time of the OBS (which we dont see). In this case, R2 get the base you would have awarded anyways. 

No types in FED. At the end of all playing action award bases. Looks like no award needed in your OP.

I know that in the original play R2 scored, sorry my mistake. I was meaning say R2 returned to 3rd and stayed there and R1 returned back to 2nd. Would you, after playing action ceased, award R2 home and R3 to 3rd because of the OBS at 3rd base? or is it treated like MLB only in your judgement you may award him?

Only award you could consider giving is R2 being rewarded home (which he got anyways). You would not give awards to other runners unless they are forced to move up to cancel out the infraction. In this case, you would not, since the offended runner is the lead runner.

Also, FED is always delayed dead. What in NCAA, and if I remember now in OBR, is refered to now as Type 2. So you would let the play continue since no play was happening to R2 at the time of the OBS (which we dont see). In this case, R2 get the base you would have awarded anyways. 

My bad, I meant to mention if R2 stayed at 3rd and R1 retreated to 2nd safely.

The rule says: award bases in order to nullify the act of OBS. This award and its basis are umpire judgment.

In the video: the umpires properly allow play to continue (all codes). The result of the play (to use football terminology) was that R2 and R3 scored, and R1 advanced to 3B, and the BR ended on 1B.

Assessment:

1. Play proceeded to the point where no awards were required for R1, R2, or R3. The BR is an issue.
  2. R3 scored easily on the hit prior to the OBS. No award for R3.
  3. R2 was prevented from (initially) trying for HP by the OBS, and I am certain that I would have scored him had he not scored during play.
  4. As the throw went to the plate, R1 and the BR had an opportunity to advance on the throw: R1 was nearly to 3B when F2 got the ball. Had he not ultimately reached 3B safely, I would have awarded him 3B.
  5. The video does not show the BR. Had he attempted to advance on the throw to the plate, but then retreated when R1 began to retreat to 2B, I probably would have awarded him 2B and advanced him once playing action ceased.
  6. If the BR stayed in the vicinity of 1B and made no attempt to advance on the throw to the plate, then his advance was not affected by the OBS, and he would be entitled to no award. As it happened, the defense did throw down to 2B, which is what allowed R2 to score and R1 to reach 3B. If that throw, not the act of OBS, is what prevented the BR from advancing, then again he is properly left at 1B.
  7. Had the BR tried to advance to 2B and been thrown out there, we would need to determine whether (5) or (6) above applied to him. If he was affected by the OBS, then we would nullify the out and leave him at 2B. If not, then the BR's out at 2B would stand; had that been the 3rd out, we would count any runs scored during play or on an award.

Without some video of the BR, it's difficult to say anything definitive about where to put him. This would be the BU's judgment call, as he is responsible for the BR throughout this particular play.

• Like 1

Perhaps some of the chaos would have been avoided if PU actually called obstruction when it happened and then let it play out. Perhaps ... probably not....but it would have been fun to see what the three baserunners and fielders would have done after an emphatic "THAT'S OBSTRUCTION" call.