MacGregor CP

trueblue
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5406 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This CP is of the basic type we probably all started with years ago....it is the basic 4 break front, foam and polyethelene bar contruction....Macgregor sells this as a part of its discount umpire gear....I know when you start out money can be a factor...and macgregor has a combo pack...mask...cp and shins for around a $100....

However.....

It is the very basic level of protection....it will be the first thing you will upgrade if you decide to do anything over youth rec ball.....

I would not reccomend this CP for anything over lower level youth rec ball....even though I wore something similar many years ago for every level.....I took some brutal shots wearing it....

best of luck and welcome to the site!! and welcome to our fraternity.......!!

Edited by Stan W.
clarity

Welcome Trueblue. I wore a traditional ribbed CP (by POS) for years including summer wooden bat leagues. I took some good shots and could feel them a little too much. But I never felt in danger.

This type of CP is adequate for 13 y/o ball and more, but just know you are going to feel that foul when it happens. So I'd have no problem recommending it for that age group with the caveat that while it is decent protection, there is much better out there. Like Stan said it will probably be one of the first things you replace when you start upgrading.

Thanks guys for the information. I was noticing on the forum that CPs get a lot of attention on the forum. I hope that I do not take too many foul balls, but you guys are right, you have to be prepared for the worst that can happen.

In that regard, what is your opinion of the mask that comes with the Macgregor package? I think it is the B29

I think Warren said it best when discussing the CP....I think the word that would best describe the whole Mcgregor package is adequate....

Adequate for the level you will be starting at......

This will be the second item you will upgrade when you decide to do more than youth rec ball...B)

I think the person maybe be qualified to give a review is someone that sells equipment.

I think I'm REALLY qualified to review the McGregor CP, as it's the one I was wearing when I get hit on my left side, and it messed with my heart beat. This was a foul ball in a ten year old game, and it had me goofed up for a week. I don't, nor do I let any of my 30 junior umpires work without a hardshell cp.

Look, I probably had the same package of gear when I first started, because I didn't know any better. Vinyl padded mask, plastic ball bag, and a ribbed protector. I quickly replaced it all with middle of the road gear with a year, and it was a complete waste of money. You really can't sell used, low grade umpire gear on eBay. No one wants it. I then upgraded, again, to pro gear.

Here's a much better package, for about 50 clams more.

http://cat-sports.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CAT-Sports&Product_Code=W-PMG4&Category_Code=BBSP

Skip ahead, and by pro gear right off the bat. Get a Douglas, or Wilson MLU, that'll work. Or, save up some more dough and buy the really good stuff. You'll never, ever regret it.

I've had two twelve years olds throwing at me at 80mph from 46'. They're out there, so be prepared.

Edited by kylejt

I think the person maybe be qualified to give a review is someone that sells equipment. I would like to see what Jim Kirk has to say especially since, if I remember correctly, sells the McGregor equipment pack

Thanks BT_Blue. We don't sell MacGregor, but sounds like you guys with experience with it have it covered.

Has anyone used the Macgregor inside CP? This is my first year umpiring, and will be starting at the U13 level.

TrueBlue,

I think Kyle and Michael have given you the best bet....that package from Cat for $150 is a good deal on quality gear and gives you good protection that will stay with you as you go up the ladder....

Id also recommend you go to Umpire-attire.com and talk to Jim Kirk....he can put together a Pro-9 package that is a great deal on good gear as well....

Since none of us work on commission here, Most of our opinions are based on experience and how much money we have spent over the years upgrading gear...I know how expensive it can be to get started, but I will urge you to spend your money this year on a good hardshell CP and decent mask.....if you have to then skimp on shins....and get a good basic uniform......

best of luck!

Thank you for all of the great responses. If I were to wear the Macgregor CP, would I get myself killed out there?

True:

This may help in your decision:

http://www.ump-attire.com/service/buying-guides/umpire-gear/chest_protector.html

With thanks to Jim Kirk at www.ump-attire.com

My personal preference is that I'd rather have more protection than not enough.

Edited by BrianC14

Thank you for all of the great responses. If I were to wear the Macgregor CP, would I get myself killed out there?

As I said in my inital response, I would imagine that most of us started out with this type of protector many years ago....I started with an All-American, then upgraded to the +POS version....I used it up to HS varsity...It supplied only the basic level of protection and I was hurt significantly twice...(both fouls..one to the chest..one to the shoulder...)

Will you get by using this protector for U-13?.......probably....will you get killed?.........probably not...

I urge you to read that link to Jim Kirks site....good info there....

here is why I am so adamant about CP's...this is my CP history

All American ribbed CP $45 (injured in chest)

+POS ribbed CP $75 (injured in shoulder)

+POS BB2000 $125 (too hot and bulky, cp was a furnace)

Honigs K1 $125 (Not enough protection for advanced ball...IMHO)

Wilson Platinum $145 (could not be happier...love my plat)

Total outlay for CP's $515

simple math.....

Edited by Stan W.
spelling, clarity..the usual crimes

Im sorry for the confusion Jim. I thought you did. Could you give a recommendation for an equipment package for the young man in the OP. I know you sell one.

I'm going to be honest about something. I'm not a big fan of packages. I recommend that umpires cherry pick their own set based on their level, needs and budget. By doing this, they may end up more content with their gear and sometimes may be able to even get a better price than a package price by let's say not getting the equipment bag that goes with it or not getting let's say a chest protector or shin guards that might be overkill for a certain level.

Cherry picking requires some research. At that level (13U), you could get by with a decent set of shin guards that don't cost very much (pick about any brand for under $40), a decent single bar mask that doesn't weigh 2 pounds (under $50) and a chest protector that is something in between a foam padding only and hard-shell (Pro Nine, Champro Pro Plus and Diamond iX3 all fit this bill for under $70). Throw in an accessories pack you can get from about anywhere that has pouches for your brush and indicator on the inside (around $15), then you have a decent "starter package" for under $170.

On the other hand, if you find a starter package that includes everything you already wanted anyway, then you have a good deal.

Edited by JimKirk
typo

Man thats actually a DAMN GOOD DEAL for someone! :meditation:

Think about it this way The platinum is about $150, the shins are about $120 and the mask runs around $50-70.

To bad I just bought a new mask and wasnt a big fan of the platinum (Im a gold man myself)

• 3 months later...

I just purchased the macgregor cp used from a 71 year old guy that is no longer umpiring, and he said he was doing HS varsity and leagon ball with it. I'm only at the LL level and it definitely works for that, and I would be comfortable with it to HS, maybe modify it a little in the sternum area with some hard shell from football or hockey shoulder pads, but I like it and it was worth the price. $70 for the CP, two masks, shin pads, and a bunch of ball bags indicators and brushes.

Altho I like my catchers shin pads and hockey style helmet that I had before I even started to umpire. Too bade they are lite blue in color (they do refer to us as "blue" don't they?) And the shin pads are triple knee protection, but they are comfortable when I have to run around working a game by my self, and the league is ok with me wearing them :smachhead:

I'm going to type this very slowly, so everyone will understand.

There is no good reason to wear a soft chest protector any longer. I was wearing a MacGregor cp when I caught a foul ball just over the heart in a 10 year old game.

It messed with my heart rhythm, boys and girls, and I was goofed up for days after that. Serious stuff.

Look, you can go years and not get clocked where I did. Then you can spout off about how good your gear was. Heck, I've gone seasons without getting hit on the top of my feet, so I could boast about the greatness using Chuck Taylor basketball shoes behind the dish.

Bottom line for all you veterans and rookies. Buy a professional grade chest protector. You will never regret it.

This season I replaced all the chest protectors in our umpire's locker room with hard shells. I'd never forgive myself if I let a kid gear up without it, and he got hurt out there.

Don't wear the MacGregor for baseball!

Soft shells are great for catchers, because they, unlike us, have a MITT! We don't have that luxury, and unless you want to turn into Frankie the Flincher, get a hard shell. You will never regret it, especially when you take that first foul off your collar bone.

Edited by blue32