Utley-Tejada Slide, Replay

Lindsay
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3083 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Fpsr in MLB'S future.....or some iteration.... Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

How about getting the umpires union to call it like it is in the MLBUM? Just that would help in any league where the umpires don't call it like the rule code. Search U-E for some examples of that.

How about getting the umpires union to call it like it is in the MLBUM? Just that would help in any league where the umpires don't call it like the rule code. Search U-E for some examples of that.

Jesus Christ...it's not the umpires who decide how things called in MLB. You know better than that. 

Of course. The requirement to strictly apply the MLBUM would have to come from above. 

One simple fix.....

A runner who, in the judgment of the umpire, contacts or attempts to make contact with a fielder with a slide or roll block that is not a bona fide effort to reach and stay on the base may shall be called out for interference, and, when appropriate, a double play may be called (no effort to stay on base).

One simple fix.....

A runner who, in the judgment of the umpire, contacts or attempts to make contact with a fielder with a slide or roll block that is not a bona fide effort to reach and stay on the base may shall be called out for interference, and, when appropriate, a double play may be called (no effort to stay on base).

Well shucks.  That's a good suggestion.

• Like 1

One simple fix.....

The part, "when appropriate a double play ...", still leaves a lot to be interpreted by the umpires (and their supervisors). If "appropriate" meant "more likely than not", then maybe this would work.  

I'll be honest, I have not read this entire thread...but I wanted to share this:

I played a round of golf yesterday with a Double-A second baseman (he's even a www.milb.com "top 27" hitting prospect).  Anyways, this Utley play came up in our conversation during our round of golf.  He said he thought it was a clean play/slide and that that was the view of most of the players he had talked to about the play.

I thought it was interesting to hear a professional player's (and a middle infielder at that) view of that play so I thought I'd share.