Decisions decisions

Storm13
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3092 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

1. I like the TW pads, Some really like the Wilson memory foam. The wraparounds never fit my face right. Everyone's face is different, so you'll need to find what fits yours. The padding may be great, but if it doesn't fit, they're worthless.

2. That mask might be available from Ump-Attire,com. 

3. +POS sells a magnesium framed rig, and claim the frames weighs 14.4 oz.. That would make it the lightest out there . I've got an email in to them asking if they'd sell just the frame. We'll see if they respond. 

4. Check the availability before you purchase. Ask how long it will take to get to you. Wait for a response before you send any $. That goes for the rest of you mugs, buying something from any website you've not done business with before. 

5. Honig's used to sell a lightweight, silver framed mask, pre-loaded with Team Wendy pads, for around $75. But their website has been jacked up for a few months now, with lots of missing items they've stocked in the past. They may be worth a call. 

Edited by kylejt

1st question you want to ask yourself is: Do I want leather or cloth against my face for around 2 hours a day?

If the answer is leather, I would recommend the Honigs Non-Wrap Leather Pads, I got hit in the mask with a thrown bat last year and didn't suffer any ill affects...I think these pads are a big reason why.

If the answer is cloth, the reviews are mixed. Alot like TW's, while some will say they are too hard. Some will say Wilson Memory foam...and no one on here will say they are too hard and most say...too soft.

thinking about getting this mask but can not decide if I want these pads or just get the frame and put on some TWs.  What are your opinions?

Cold Grey Classic brown

Love this mask.

I'm not fond of TW pads, have them on 2 masks, very overrated IMO.  

• Like 1

The mask itself is top-notch. The ZRO-G is hollow-tube steel, resilient and strong, with a very effective layout. It is surprisingly light, but being steel, it is going to be more forgiving than titanium or aluminum.

@kylejt suggests the MAG-T from +POS, and I'm sure it, too, is top notch. If you're concerned about +POS's current unresponsiveness, the Champro Magnesium mask is virtually the same (I think, actually, Champro lifted the design off +POS).

The style of that ZRO-G is really eye-catching. Matte "cold" grey and vintage, "ol' ball glove" brown? Heck yes! Judging by +POS's past, those pads would work, but I concede, they're no TWs or Wilson MFs. Would be nice if TW or Wilson skinned their pads in colors like couch brown, grey or navy (yes, I actually said navy).

Yep, sure was.  

It's not the hits, the TW pads are just not very comfortable to me at all.  Your in Florida, your pads stay warm all the time.  When college ball starts. it's real cold here and the TW pads are like rocks.

I respect those in the colder climates that don't care for the TW pads. I live in San Diego, and sometimes have to warm them up on "cold" nights, to get them pliable. I can't imagine how solid they would be north of here. 

I have a Champro mag, and just by the pictures, the coating on mine looks much thicker. I don't know if that's good, or not. Reduced visibility vs. more "padding". 

I respect those in the colder climates that don't care for the TW pads. I live in San Diego, and sometimes have to warm them up on "cold" nights, to get them pliable. I can't imagine how solid they would be north of here. 

I have a Champro mag, and just by the pictures, the coating on mine looks much thicker. I don't know if that's good, or not. Reduced visibility vs. more "padding". 

You should be attending the Jim Evans clinic in San Diego then

I have used the Wilson Memory foam pads and they were way too soft, I bought the TW's at the end of the season and to me they are way too hard, shouldn't of been in Tennessee in July umping games in 104 degree heat. I still go back to my favorite set of pads, All Star microfiber LUC's. I do plan on trying the Honings microfiber or the Honigs Calfskin leather ones this year in my backup mask. Trying to decide which ones I want to get. Never wore leather pads before.

Define "cold"...