Some guys won't change

Jimurray
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3094 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

No video, top 1, CHC-PiT wild card, R1, U2 in deep C, steal and U2 has to take a step and lean to see the ball on the ground, safe. BUT if he was in deep B, he would have a safe before the ball was on the ground.

......that's Hirschbeck .... not "some guy".....  a 32 year veteran.   And, yes, there's a video.   What's your point here? Are they teaching deep C, or B now in 4 man?

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/28898650/v520334183/?query=fowler

no embed feature

Edited by Thunderheads

I have no issue with the positioning. In the 3, 4 & 6 man system they have the option of being in either B or C. If given the option I prefer the look from C. I have also heard other guys say they go to the batters weak side (Righty batter - B, Lefty - C).

What I see in this clip is an excellent example of great timing. :clap:

• Like 2

......that's Hirschbeck .... not "some guy".....  a 32 year veteran.   And, yes, there's a video.   What's your point here? Are they teaching deep C, or B now in 4 man?

no embed feature

My point is "they" are teaching the option of deep B or C and recommending deep B in 3 and 4 man for the look at the most common swipe tag. Those of us that are mobile and can drift back in two man recognize this view as best on most plays. My other point is some guys won't change as evidenced by @Umpire in chief. But the weak side preference is also a factor.

• Like 1

If you're an MLB ump and have worked in C for 99 years, then you would NOT want to switch to B this late in the season.  You would miss more calls because of being unfamiliar with the movement at look.

And, there are more accurate throws in MLB than there are in amateur ball.  So, C is better in MLB than it is in amateur ball.

no embed feature

In the 4 man system I feel much more comfortable in the deep b position for a steal attempt.  All you have to do is a crossover step and you now have a great view.  With somebody on second I prefer to be in deep c.  I feel it gives me a superior view, much the same as I get on the steal attempt.  Except you don't need a crossover step.

It looks like he was ready to call him out until he saw the ball on the ground. You prefer deep C vs deep B?

I prefer Deep B because that is what i'm used to on steel attempts in 2-man. So why change it?

My point is "they" are teaching the option of deep B or C and recommending deep B in 3 and 4 man for the look at the most common swipe tag. Those of us that are mobile and can drift back in two man recognize this view as best on most plays. My other point is some guys won't change as evidenced by @Umpire in chief. But the weak side preference is also a factor.

The reason that B is what is recommended now isn't because the angle is better than from C. It's because so many guys get accustom to that view from 2 man and 3 man that when you work 4 and 6 man it's easier to see because you have had thousands of reps from that angle. The guys who have been around for longer have used C forever and it's the view they are accustom to. The angle you get from both is good and on certain plays both have their pros and cons but they ultimately both get the job done pretty equally.

The reason that B is what is recommended now isn't because the angle is better than from C. It's because so many guys get accustom to that view from 2 man and 3 man that when you work 4 and 6 man it's easier to see because you have had thousands of reps from that angle. The guys who have been around for longer have used C forever and it's the view they are accustom to. The angle you get from both is good and on certain plays both have their pros and cons but they ultimately both get the job done pretty equally.

That's what I said!