With or without a hat

Storm13
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3123 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I wore an All Star HSM for one season (didn't like it went back to the old school mask). I never wore a hat with it; my regular partner uses a HSM and always wears a hat with his. Personal preference unless local rules dictate you wear it. I believe our state association says we should always wear a hat but I never heard a complaint about it and I know that most guys who wear the HSM don't wear a hat. I don't think coaches, players or fans notice or give a darn one way or the other.

I don't think coaches, players or fans notice or give a darn one way or the other.

I agree.

Any league or association that requires a hat for plate umpires needs to get with the times. It's about safety, not about looks. Does a plate umpire look better with a hat? Some may think so. But I'll take safety over cosmetics any day of the week.

Hey, if you can wear a hat under your HSM and have no problem removing it and feel the effectiveness of your mask isn't reduced, then by all means, wear the hat if you like. But if you're like many people that can't or don't feel comfortable wearing a hat under the helmet, then just go lid-less. It's your noggin. Don't compromise on safety just because some old school UIC in your league thinks a cap looks better.

Like Hawkman said, no players, coaches or fans really care. (And even if they did...eff 'em).

Not to get off topic, but looks and appearance are VERY important.  When my partner and his HSM walk to the plate meeting and he doesn't have a hat on, it just doesn't look professional to me.  But, that's just me.  I know coaches, players and fans don't care specifically if we wear a hat or not, but first impressions from coaches, players and fans do effect us.  We take great pains to insure our shoes are shined, our shirts and pants are pressed and neat, but we call the game without part of our uniform?  I just think going on the field without a hat looks sloppy.  But, like I said, that's just me.

We take great pains to insure our shoes are shined, our shirts and pants are pressed and neat, but we call the game without part of our uniform?  I just think going on the field without a hat looks sloppy.  But, like I said, that's just me.

I get what you're saying but...

umpires used to wear jackets, white button-down shirts and bowties, too. They were "part of the uniform". Times change.

If you were really self-conscious about going to the plate conference sans cap, you could always just wear it while exchanging lineups and then discard it before the first pitch. But if I wore a bucket (I don't) and felt a cap compromised its fit and/or effectiveness, I wouldn't really be too concerned with how it looks. My health is more important.

Like you, I'm of the opinion that a cap looks better, but I'm also intelligent enough to understand that an umpire using an HSM and not wearing a cap is likely doing so because the cap interferes with his equipment and not because he's a lazy slob with no concern for his appearance and no respect for the game.

Not to get off topic, but looks and appearance are VERY important.  When my partner and his HSM walk to the plate meeting and he doesn't have a hat on, it just doesn't look professional to me.  But, that's just me.  I know coaches, players and fans don't care specifically if we wear a hat or not, but first impressions from coaches, players and fans do effect us.  We take great pains to insure our shoes are shined, our shirts and pants are pressed and neat, but we call the game without part of our uniform?  I just think going on the field without a hat looks sloppy.  But, like I said, that's just me.

It's this mentality that leads to organizations making silly and overbearing rules such as, "You can wear a helmet, but you must also wear your hat."

Greg Gibson wears a helmet without a hat -- does that make him any less professional?

You're right -- it's just you.

It's this mentality that leads to organizations making silly and overbearing rules such as, "You can wear a helmet, but you must also wear your hat."

Greg Gibson wears a helmet without a hat -- does that make him any less professional?

You're right -- it's just you.

Rich,

Sorry I had an opinion.

And yes, in my opinion, Gibson without a hat looks like crap.  So if you wear a HSM, without a hat.....

I'm with you, @catsbackr, on this one. My opinion, like yours, is that a hat is a part of the uniform, and should be, at the very least, worn to the plate meeting. Where it goes after that, ala what @Man_In_Black was saying, makes no difference or matter. We have an umpire in our region who is a HSM wearer, and is quite bald. Because his sweat otherwise runs right into his eyes, he wears a doo-rag (black!) under his HSM, and it doesn't matter a hill of beans to me... But I have reminded him to wear a hat to the plate meeting, and have tossed him my spare to wear when he and I work together and he's forgotten his hat (invariably, because why would he remember it? ;) ).

That impression does make a big difference. It does, it does, it so does.

Because what's one of those questions we "have" to ask at the plate meeting? : Are all your players properly and legally equipped? Some leagues / conferences / rulesets go further and outline that players cannot wear necklaces, bracelets (even the silicone ones), watches, jewelry, etc., and there you've got your PU partner asking about that, all while wearing a white Gucci watch on his wrist. How appropriate an impression that creates.

@RichMSN, sorry to say, what you allude to happens so frustratingly often, especially when you've got an organization involved. Organizations love to create rules, just to give themselves a reach-around pat on the back and validate their existence ("See that? We made rules, because we are an organization.") Organizations despise two things – change and exceptions to their rules. Why do we think antiquated quaint boring trite classic navy is the default uniform color of most umpire associations? Heck, why are there still some stuck with heather gray slacks?? 

• Like 1

And yes, in my opinion, Gibson without a hat looks like crap.  So if you wear a HSM, without a hat.....

It's all good, catsbackr. You'll get used to "topless" plate umpires over time. As with all the incremental changes the sport has been through over the years, the hardcore purists eventually adjust to them as time passes. Some thoughts:

• As a young kid I remember my ol' Uncle Warren bitching about colored jerseys when the Pirates started sporting them in the '70s and many teams followed suit. "Those are goddamn softball jerseys!" he'd complain. To him, "real" baseball uniforms were all white at home and all gray on the road. No exceptions. Only softball teams wore colored jerseys (which, at the time, was pretty much true). Today, we don't think twice about uniforms that aren't all white or all gray.
  • My dad thought major leaguers had gone soft back when guys started wearing batting helmets with ear flaps. Now, ear flaps are a requirement.
  • I have an ex-catcher buddy of mine that thinks Yadier Molina is a pussy because he wears an HSM. "With that thing on his head, he should be netminding for the Blues and not catching for the Cards! He needs to get a real catcher's mask!" But most folks don't think twice about a catcher with an HSM anymore.
  • Sanitaries and stirrups were a standard part of the baseball uniform for nearly a century but there are many kids that don't know what the hell they are (although they seem to be experiencing somewhat of a renaissance as of late with a lot of clubs).
  • And how ridiculous does a base coach look wearing a helmet...when the first baseman standing a mere 10 feet away doesn't have to wear one? We're used to it now.
  • Last but not least, my colleague who also umpires HS softball and thinks that the gals who wear facemasks in the field are all "a bunch of pussies". (yeah, I know...but they were his words, not mine).

I suppose we all consider certain aspects of the game to be "tradition" and find it hard to let go of certain things when the game evolves. Believe me, after a while you won't think an umpire like Gibson looks like crap. You won't even think about it at all.

• Like 1

I'm with you, @catsbackr, on this one. My opinion, like yours, is that a hat is a part of the uniform, and should be, at the very least, worn to the plate meeting. Where it goes after that, ala what @Man_In_Black was saying, makes no difference or matter. We have an umpire in our region who is a HSM wearer, and is quite bald. Because his sweat otherwise runs right into his eyes, he wears a doo-rag (black!) under his HSM, and it doesn't matter a hill of beans to me... But I have reminded him to wear a hat to the plate meeting, and have tossed him my spare to wear when he and I work together and he's forgotten his hat (invariably, because why would he remember it? ;) ).

That impression does make a big difference. It does, it does, it so does.

Because what's one of those questions we "have" to ask at the plate meeting? : Are all your players properly and legally equipped? Some leagues / conferences / rulesets go further and outline that players cannot wear necklaces, bracelets (even the silicone ones), watches, jewelry, etc., and there you've got your PU partner asking about that, all while wearing a white Gucci watch on his wrist. How appropriate an impression that creates.

@RichMSN, sorry to say, what you allude to happens so frustratingly often, especially when you've got an organization involved. Organizations love to create rules, just to give themselves a reach-around pat on the back and validate their existence ("See that? We made rules, because we are an organization.") Organizations despise two things – change and exceptions to their rules. Why do we think antiquated quaint boring trite classic navy is the default uniform color of most umpire associations? Heck, why are there still some stuck with heather gray slacks?? 

The impression makes no difference to anyone who matters.  My regular HS partner and I have each worked two HS state championships in the last 3 years (me the last 2 years) and neither of us so much as think about a hat when wearing a helmet.  My partner has worked D3 college conference tournaments the last few years, too -- same thing, no hat.

When it's hot enough I'd sweat in my eyes, that's when I usually go back to a traditional mask.

Guys I wear a black lycra skull cap for day games because I too suffer from excess testosterone. For night games I go hatless under my HSH. Can't seem to fit a normal hat underneath and I dislike sticking a hat into the fence and losing it. Does that make me unprofessional? Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Guys I wear a black lycra skull cap for day games because I too suffer from excess testosterone. For night games I go hate under my HSH. Can't seem to fit a normal hat underneath and I dislike sticking a hat into the fence and losing it. Does that make me unprofessional? Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Not at all, Ken. But you don't have trouble with credibility and game management. 

What is did the other night and seemed to work OK was I wore my 4 stitch hat to the plate meeting and used it at the national anthem but then put it in my left ball bag after that when I used my HSM. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I think, along with sunglasses, being called "blue", facial hair, etc. has a lot to do with the specific expectations (even if unspoken) in your area and your specific level of experience.  Getting all worked up about it (or posting more than once or maybe twice just to explain how it is i your area) on an internet board seems really "off" to me.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that it looks much better and standardized to have a hat when HSM not in use.  It gets noticed even if nothing gets said.  If you are doing high level games you won't be carrying coolers and crap on to the field and can't be stashing your hat.  I wear a 4 stitch hat and shades under my WILSON Shock 2.0 with no problems at all.  (6 stitch in the field.)  I hate the looks of the shorter bills and can't make a 6 stitch work.   I now find it more comfortable than with no hat at this point.  

Curve the bill so the corners don't catch upon quick removal.  Your hat will look better that way anyway and you won't be mistaken for those rediculous flat billed jobs some wear now days.  Make sure you pull the bottom forward before/during lifting...  I also re-routed the elastic straps on the bottom rear to go around the outside of the helmet.  This keeps the straps from rubbing on the ears during removal, which is why I originally re-routed.  I suspect this helps to not dislodge the hat too.

Though I carry a regular mask as backup, I wouldn't change my set up one bit!

I agree that it looks much better and standardized to have a hat when HSM not in use.  It gets noticed even if nothing gets said.  If you are doing high level games you won't be carrying coolers and crap on to the field and can't be stashing your hat.  I wear a 4 stitch hat and shades under my WILSON Shock 2.0 with no problems at all.  (6 stitch in the field.)  I hate the looks of the shorter bills and can't make a 6 stitch work.   I now find it more comfortable than with no hat at this point.  

Curve the bill so the corners don't catch upon quick removal.  Your hat will look better that way anyway and you won't be mistaken for those rediculous flat billed jobs some wear now days.  Make sure you pull the bottom forward before/during lifting...  I also re-routed the elastic straps on the bottom rear to go around the outside of the helmet.  This keeps the straps from rubbing on the ears during removal, which is why I originally re-routed.  I suspect this helps to not dislodge the hat too.

When I went back to a HSM I didn't like the tiny brim hat that I could wear underneath it. For a while I wore my Association hat on to the field and to plate meetings. I would then stick it in the fence somewhere. I lost too many hats that way. Now I wear a lycra skull cap to protect my head from the sun or nothing at night under my helmet. Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

So you are going "commando" under the helmet huh?:o

• Like 1