Equipment Expos

Storm13
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3136 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Maybe this is just a crazy idea but I would think that an umpiring equipment expo that was done regionally in several areas by all the big dealers in equipment would be a great idea.  Then we could touch and try on the equipment to make an informed decision.  Is this done anywhere?  If so any success?  

Maybe this is just a crazy idea but I would think that an umpiring equipment expo that was done regionally in several areas by all the big dealers in equipment would be a great idea.  Then we could touch and try on the equipment to make an informed decision.  Is this done anywhere?  If so any success?  

Several vendors come to several clinics I attend each year.  It's not "all the big dealers" at everyone, but there's certainly a good opportunity to see most of the stuff.

Kyle is right ........ 

outfitters will usually show up at larger camps and clinics however :D

Several vendors come to several clinics I attend each year.  It's not "all the big dealers" at everyone, but there's certainly a good opportunity to see most of the stuff.

Thanks to both of you...i have never been to a clinic or camp so that is where i missed it.  

Thanks to both of you...i have never been to a clinic or camp so that is where i missed it.  

Find one.  Go there.  Get better.  Repeat.

I've seen vendors at clinics and they have also shown up to our association meetings in the past.  Unfortunately, they haven't been to meetings the last couple of years because of some ridiculous insurance requirement.

Find one.  Go there.  Get better.  Repeat.

I've seen vendors at clinics and they have also shown up to our association meetings in the past.  Unfortunately, they haven't been to meetings the last couple of years because of some ridiculous insurance requirement.

That is the plan...I just got back into the umpiring game about 6 months ago...so looking for time and to save some $ up to go to a camp or clinic this summer

I wish some vendors would show up here with their ump stuff during CWS. We see all kinds of Baseball stuff but they never bring the ump stuff. Wilson usually has a booth, so does new Balance and a few others but no stuff for us. Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Why would they? Why would any gear manufacturer expend resources to staff and support a visit to a baseball event wherein there is a next-to-nothing chance of having 1 or maybe 2 interested umpires examine your wares? Why do any sort of site-marketing or promotion when we, as umpires, demonstrate time and time and time and time again... 

1. We buy Wilson's crap, which hasn't changed in 15+ years, because it has the MLB exclusive contract... and...
  2. We b!t©h, whine and moan about even the suggestion of buying an umpire shirt in a different style or color, let alone a different, new, updated piece of gear.
  • Like 2

Why would they? Why would any gear manufacturer expend resources to staff and support a visit to a baseball event wherein there is a next-to-nothing chance of having 1 or maybe 2 interested umpires examine your wares? Why do any sort of site-marketing or promotion when we, as umpires, demonstrate time and time and time and time again... 

1. We buy Wilson's crap, which hasn't changed in 15+ years, because it has the MLB exclusive contract... and...
  2. We b!t©h, whine and moan about even the suggestion of buying an umpire shirt in a different style or color, let alone a different, new, updated piece of gear.

We always seem to have people who want to try on hats before ordering one because they never seem to be the right size.  These are the guys who have been umpiring for years and have the same complaint every year.  How on earth could you not know what size hate you wear when your 50 years old and have had to wear a fitted cap for 30 plus years?  And it isn't as if manufacturers hats remain the different size after you try them on.

We always seem to have people who want to try on hats before ordering one because they never seem to be the right size.  These are the guys who have been umpiring for years and have the same complaint every year.  How on earth could you not know what size hate you wear when your 50 years old and have had to wear a fitted cap for 30 plus years?  And it isn't as if manufacturers hats remain the different size after you try them on.

I find that the Richardson caps are inconsistent in their sizing.  I wear a 7 3/8 and they are anywhere from a perfect fit, to loose enough that I have to put some cotton in the headband to keep my mask from pushing the cap down.  That said, going to 7 1/4 isn't an option - way too tight.  When I buy them online, I just hope for the best.

• Like 3

I have hats ranging from 73/8 to 7 3/4 in my trunk and they all fit the same.  I can try on multiple hats in the same year with the same size shown on the tag from the same mfg at the same clinic and have one that fits, one that's too big and one that's too small.

• Like 1

Know why that is, @catsbackr? Different audience. Most NCAA -calling umpires are more fitness-conscious, more in tune with new / emerging technology, and dare I say (yes! I dare to say!) more serious about what gear gives the best performance and appearance relevant to the competition level (NCAA).

Also (and this is key!), there isn't an exclusive contract between NCAA (the CBUA?) and a slug manufacturer like Wilson. So, there's more fair-footing competition for our attention and dollars.

Amateur umpires like Clarence Callsafew are those who buy those "Umpire Starter Packages", or go to a local chapter / association meeting and get snookered persuaded to "just buy this" because, by golly, Larry has used that same CP (either a Wilson or a soft shell) for the past twenty years, and Larry, as an "association evaluator", must always be right.

I'm not saying you, my fellow U-E members (by and large), aren't the kind of umpires these manufacturers, producers and outfitters are after. We certainly are! But we're in the extreme minority.

My Riddell Power is over 20 years old...and when I try new protectors I always go back to it. Always been a gear junkie, but they still haven't gotten the comfort / protection balance of the Power right in any protectors commonly sold in the U.S.

• Like 1

I love this idea. While there aren't any expos per se, there are times where you could have a situation where there are multiple vendors in one location:

1) NCAA Clinics each January. Locations typically rotate either in Atlanta/Nashville/Orlando, San Jose/San Fran/Phoenix, Dallas/Chicago and Philadelphia.

As the vendors make arrangements with hotels, you don't have to necessarily be a NCAA umpire to see the booths set up inside the hotel.

Vendors or suppliers I've seen include Us, Gerry Davis, Honig's and Purchase Offcials as well as Force3 plus perhaps a local company depending on location.

2) NASO Summit in July: If you're a NASO member, you could stop by at this yearly meeting. San Antonio - 2016; Louisville - 2017 (WOOHOO!). Typically same vendors as above.

Other than that, one option is to shop with a local store (although selection may be limited to only a few brands). Too numerous to mention but off top of my head where I can think of their cities:

Honigs: Fort Lauderdale FL, Denver CO, Portland OR, Raleigh NC, College Station TX and Ann Arbor MI

Davis: Appleton WI

Purchase: Akron OH and Atlanta GA

Sound Athletic Supply: Seattle WA

One Stop Sports: Birningham AL

Also locals somewhere in CT, PA, MO, NY, WV and maybe NE.

The other option, which I think could be easiest, is order from an online retaller. Order what you want to look at up-close or try-on from a retailer who offers free shipping or free returns (and who doesn't charge a re-stocking fee), have a personal expo in the comfort of your own home, then return what you don't want.

We, for one, are pretty liberal about allowing that as long as everything that's returned is in good shape. For us, in the long run, you'd be out only your return shipping cost of unwanted items.

People order, say, 2 chest protectors or 2 masks or 2 shin guards at a time, and return 1 of them, quite often. Easy-peasy.

Regardless, hope something in this post helps you.

• Like 4

I can think of two places. Williamsport and San Bernadino, during the LL playoffs.

Little League umpires have to be the biggest, yet, unorganized group in all of US officiating.

Well I would be one of the people that would be checking out equipment and would probably drop a few bucks to get new gear after being able to check it out inperson.

I guess I should feel blessed. Every year in the Chicagoland area we have several clinics from the NCAA to the IHSA (HS) clinics that provide vendors for us. We have an opportunity to actually try on most of the new stuff and even if you don't purchase that day you can still order online with confidence because you have actually seen the merchandise. I would be uncomfortable ordering some things sight unseen. Like I said we are blessed in my area and I feel you guys pain.

I guess I should feel blessed. Every year in the Chicagoland area we have several clinics from the NCAA to the IHSA (HS) clinics that provide vendors for us. We have an opportunity to actually try on most of the new stuff and even if you don't purchase that day you can still order online with confidence because you have actually seen the merchandise. I would be uncomfortable ordering some things sight unseen. Like I said we are blessed in my area and I feel you guys pain.

And yet, no invitations to your northern neighbors – the hicks in the sticks – to come on down and ease our pain. *sigh* We're only a short drive away! Oh well, I'll be sure to encourage the next Alberta Clipper I see to swing down and dump an extra heap of snow on ya. ;)

I wish some vendors would show up here with their ump stuff during CWS. We see all kinds of Baseball stuff but they never bring the ump stuff. Wilson usually has a booth, so does New Balance and a few others but no stuff for us. Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Again, why would they? Wilson hasn't made any enhancements, improvements or additions to their protective gear in ten years (except the Dynalite Aluminum mask), and don't forget, Wilson has that ~exclusive contract~ with MLB for umpire gear. Mindless purchases will still be made in their favor when the big gold W can be seen!

Good to see the fashion industry is still competitive, and demands attention.

Oh, did you happen to see New Balance wants to step (pun!) into the competitive apparel arena, starting with soccer, and took kit (jerseys, shorts, etc.) supply off the hands of their subsidiary, Warrior? Yup, Warrior is back to doing just lacrosse and hockey. Maybe they should commission Warrior to design and produce some protective gear for catchers and *gasp* umpires.

The market is not good enough.
I would say that 90% of umpires just wear the cheapest gear the can get their hands on.

The rest of us will buy good gear.

• Like 1