Best CP for Shoulder Protection?

Sut'n Blue
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3048 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I'm looking for the CP that offers the best shoulder protection. Currently using a Wilson Charcoal and took a direct hit to the front of my shoulder that caused a few weeks of trouble. All in all I like the Charcoal but was hoping there might be something that offers more protection for the shoulders. 

I'm an avid swimmer and shoulder injuries are my biggest fear (second to sharks - and before you say there's no sharks in New England, I'll point out they filmed Jaws just a little south of here -- and on top of that MythBusters showed you can't blow up a shark with an oxygen tank so that big bastard could still be swimming around out there just waiting for me).

Any input welcome.

You'll probably get a bunch of different responses from members here who all have experiences with various CPs, but I'll give you my take.

I've been using a West Vest Gold for the past five seasons and have taken numerous shots to the shoulders (among other places) from pitches in the 80's to 90's and have never had so much as a bruise. Sure, you notice the impact but I've never experienced pain. Before the WV I had a Douglas and it was every bit as good. Now that the Douglas is available again, I can recommend both without reservation.

Both the WV and the Douglas are worn by a number of guys in the show, so if they're good enough to protect an MLB umpire facing major league pitching, they're good enough for whatever level you're working.

Other guys here will likely offer other good recommendations, but I think the majority of us agree that you should always buy the best protection you can reasonably afford. Don't cheap out on the equipment whose job it is to protect your life...literally. Spend the few extra dollars to protect your health and well being. Your family and friends will thank you for it.

Whatever CP you decide to own, buy an All-Star System 7 Delta-Flex harness from either All-Star HQ or Ump-Attire.com and you won't have to worry about the CP fitting snugly and keeping your collar bone and shoulders protected. 

WV Platinum looks like a pair of modified football shoulder pads. Freakin' huge. Will force you to buy sized up shirts just for plate jobs. Bulky and bulletproof. 

I have worn WV Gold, Honig's K1 (old and new models) and Unequal. Shoulder shots in all of them in D1 and below college ball, HS and some pretty good men's leagues. No ill effects with any of them. Fit and snugness are the key. I've heard good things about Douglas. Which was, in case you didn't know, the original manufacturer of WestVest. All-Star System 7 also gets high marks as do a couple of Schutt models. 

Of course I'd be partial to the Schutt XV. Leave it to a football shoulder pad company to make a CP based around protecting the shoulders (and it does protect the chest too!).

However, I would heavily recommend the All-Star System 7 CPU4000! Not only is it a full-coverage, hard-shell CP, but it's lighter than the Wilsons, better ventilated than the Wilsons, and fit better than the Wilsons. The only reason I don't have a System 7... is because I have a Schutt XV. ;)

I have the All Star S7 and have had difficulty with the shoulder pads.  Even when the adjustment straps are pulled tight, it still feels like they move around too much and leave a spot on the front of the shoulder exposed.  I took a shot in this location and while I wasn't injured, it did hurt.  Other than that spot, the S7 offers excellent protection.

Both the All Star and the Platinum have plates that run from the chest, to over the shoulder, offering the best, IMO, protection for that area. All others have separate, smaller plates. As we all know, the bigger the plate, the more area it has to disperse the energy.

• Like 1

Echoing @Man_in_Black and @Majordave, I use a Platinum and since I added the DF harness I have noticed it sits up much higher as well as snugger. I have no concerns regarding shoulder protection with this combination.  

Being on the "girthy" side, I had to set the straps of DF in the buckle and then tape them down with black duct tape to make sure that they did not pull out of the clip during a game.

The only trick is finding the DF in stock.  I just checked and Ump-Attire currently has them available.

https://www.ump-attire.com/Baseball-Umpire-Equipment/Gear-Footwear/Replacement-Mask-Pads-Straps/CPUHPRO_All-Star-Delta-Flex-Umpire-Chest-Protector-Replacement-Harness?id=141

LET THE STAMPEDE BEGIN!!!

True. Bought it from a guy in our association who had just had it modded but suddenly had to quit umpiring for health reasons. It was practically new and I paid nearly full price for it. But since the plates were added I felt it was fair. It was a great CP. Prefer the WV Gold now, though.

Douglas is way thinner, and lower profile, but .... preference is preference :D

I would also be remiss if I didn't suggest the +POS ZRO-G (that's ZeroGee) CP.

Heck, it's even on sale right now: http://www.pluspos.com/baseball-umpire-equipment/chest-protector/zrog-cp

That's a good looking CP there.  I like the zero g masks also.