How to hold the announcers accountable

Umpire in Chief
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2636 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Just now, BT_Blue said:

What do you think the reason was?

Think about the procedure for appealing a missed base from the ball being put back in play.

You can throw to an unoccupied base for the purpose of making an appeal. 

8 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

He can not throw to an unoccupied base from the rubber.

Why do you think, when asked how to do it, we tell tell coach that...

1. We put the ball in play

2. F1 has to legally DISENGAGE the pitching rubber

3. Throw to the base.

MLBUM 8.8 pg.99

It is NOT a balk for the pitcher, while in contact with the rubber, to throw to an unoccupied base IF it is for the purpose of making an appeal play. (Note that the pitcher does not have to step back off the rubber to make an appeal play.)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

3. Throw to the base.

We ADVISE the coach to comply with #2 because of guys like you and the MLB umpire that balked Hamels not knowing that you don't have to dissengage. It's also good advice to lower the risk of a real balk. When Hamels was balked some of us wondered if we didn't know if coming set  would prevent a legal throw and that's why Hamels should have stepped off. I don't think that's the case.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

3. Throw to the base.

Because you don't know the rule?

23 minutes ago, BT_Blue said:

Thanks... I'll take @Jimurray response over your snarky one. Yes, evidently I had a misunderstanding of the rule. Thankfully I am not the only one. This crew did too.

I find it a little arrogant that you used the way you explain it to other people as a citation.  Thus the snark.

I don't know what the hell happened on this play.  The umpire at first base ruled on the appeal.  So maybe the plate umpire saw something else or just brain farted.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, basejester said:

I find it a little arrogant that you used the way you explain it to other people as a citation.  Thus the snark.

I don't know what the hell happened on this play.  The umpire at first base ruled on the appeal.  So maybe the plate umpire saw something else or just brain farted.

Was there ever a rule change regarding this sort of appeal?

14 minutes ago, Stk004 said:

Was there ever a rule change regarding this sort of appeal?

This NCAA rule has been in every book I've had since 2010:

8.6(b)10: 10) It is not a balk for a pitcher, while in contact with the rubber (does not
step back), to throw to an unoccupied base for the purpose of making an
appeal play.

I have a 2004 PBUC with the same wording as @Stk004 references.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I don`t know why MLB broadcasters don`t make a better effort to provide rules experts for at least national broadcasts, like the NFL broadcasters do.

Incompetent announcers don`t help the public perception of umpiring in general.  Having an independent expert go on the air and say `hey, they got it right` goes a long way to reminding the public of what they should already know.  MLB umpires get it right a ridiculously high percentage of the time.  They make less mistakes then must of us do in our daily job.

However, I`d like to give credit to Harold Reynolds, who I normally hold with great disdain, but he nailed it with the Russel Martin hitting Shin-Soo Choo on the throw back to the pitcher incident.

On a side note, I was disappointed that no sportswriter, that I saw, the next day noted that this incident almost certainly would not have happened one year earlier - with MLB`s mandate to enforce the ``one foot in box`` rule, one year earlier Choo would have been out of the box adjusting his gloves and Martin would never have hit him, eliminating any drama for a 7th inning of the ages.