That's B%llSH*# Blue

clasonater
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3130 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Who are you to pass judgment on any participant?  That's not what you're there for.  You're their to call a fair game and leave.  It's not about you in any way shape or form.  Honestly, it sounds like you think you're bigger than the game, and if that's the case, then get the hell off the field.  

Sorry, but being prepared for coaches to lose their s--t at any given moment isn't really the same as passing judgment.    You may be taking the "We Are The World" route a little far.

..... "We Are The World"?  No?  Anyone?  Bueller?  This was A Thing back in the 80s.

• Like 1

Sorry, but being prepared for coaches to lose their s--t at any given moment isn't really the same as passing judgment.    You may be taking the "We Are The World" route a little far.

..... "We Are The World"?  No?  Anyone?  Bueller?  This was A Thing back in the 80s.

I'm hip.

What is hip ?   tell me, tell me...if you think you know

I meant more like Clevon Little in Blazing Saddles then he asked the people, "Now, I suppose you're all wondering just what in the heck you're doing out here in the middle of a prairie in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night."

They replied, "You bet your ass."

He nodded and said, "I'm hip."

I meant more like Clevon Little in Blazing Saddles then he asked the people, "Now, I suppose you're all wondering just what in the heck you're doing out here in the middle of a prairie in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night."

They replied, "You bet your ass."

He nodded and said, "I'm hip."

Otay

Maybe it's my zone, or my game management style, but I've never had a game where I felt the catcher "hated my guts" (that term is a cognitive distortion anyway.  It's not productive to think that someone hates your guts.  it's a ridiculous oversimplification of a complex situation).  A catcher might disagree on pitches, but I'm the kind of umpire who's willing to dialogue on the strike zone.  It's the kind of dialogue where I maintain 100% control of the situation, but it's still a dialogue.  So I might not get assent, but I'll certainly get respect.  The fact that the OP says "one of those days" implies that there's probably something wrong with his game management approach.  To Rich's comment, why on earth would a 16U catcher come out and act like a jerk?  That would be beyond crazy, to preemptively antagonize the guy that's going to be calling strikes behind you all day.  If he's acting like a jerk, you probably rubbed him the wrong way.  Maybe your behavior was "reasonable", but it antagonized the player in some way.  Players are people too.  If you're already butting heads before the first pitch, I'm sorry, but your approach is wrong.  I think a lot of players don't appreciate umpires who "front" -that is- cultivate some kind of "tough guy", or "stern" persona for absolutely no reason at all.  The player is out there to play.  He's not waiting for the first opportunity to undermine your authority.    

Indeed why would a catcher do that? Why do 16 year old boys do a lot of the things they do? I raised 4 of them and still can't explain some of their behavior. I have in fact had a few catchers in my 15 years of umpiring who put out a hateful vibe from the first warmup pitches of the game. Some people are just a-holes. Some people hate game officials in general (I've encountered more coaches like this in basketball). It's ridiculous to reflexively shift the blame to the umpire as you did in your statement. Sure it's possible the umpire precipitated it; I've worked with some jerks before and had some work my games when I used to coach HS ball. However, by and large every umpire I ever worked with or had work my games were trying to do a good job and be as professional as possible. Most players aren't a problem either but I've seen a lot more attitude from them and coaches than I ever have from umpires.

• Like 1