Junior League WS - mechanics

maineump
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3138 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Watching the JR League WS (13-14 yo), they are working a 6-man crew (big field).

U1 has made many calls from foul ground. Is this a mechanic I am not aware of? There should be no rotation for him in this system, and he seems to be placing himself into a straightline call. He has done it on D3K, a play from 3B and a 3-1 cover play.

Am I missing something here? Not picking on him, just wondering if this is something 'new' that I haven't heard of and why he might be doing it.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys have gotten off topic.

On a 90' diamond with a multiple man crew, does anyone, while working as U1 - take calls from foul ground (near or in the coaches box)? If so, are there advantages? I can see in a 4 man crew when he has to rotate to HP, but without a rotation, is there an advantage? Seems to me you are looking through bodies for the calls.

You guys have gotten off topic.

On a 90' diamond with a multiple man crew, does anyone, while working as U1 - take calls from foul ground (near or in the coaches box)? If so, are there advantages? I can see in a 4 man crew when he has to rotate to HP, but without a rotation, is there an advantage? Seems to me you are looking through bodies for the calls.

You said this was 6-man.  The 1B umpire does still have a rotation to home on a trouble ball to CF with no one on.

You said this was 6-man.  The 1B umpire does still have a rotation to home on a trouble ball to CF with no one on.

Depends on which rotation system you use - the other system has LF rotate in to 3B, when he covers 2B. I just came from a LL 6-man system - 90' diamond (apparently that is what was LL "approved") that used the LF down rotation.

If there is a call at 1B, then U1 should make that his priority, then get into foul territory for the possible rotation - no matter which system is used. I basically was just asking what are the thoughts and reasons for calling from foul territory. I have never been asked to do it, and have never done it (other than PO of a runner by pitcher). Is there something that I am missing by calling everything from fair territory?