Batting out of order with a steal

basejester
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3164 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

OBRR2. 0 out. 3-x count. Improper batter in the box.  R2 is stealing on the pitch.  Ball 4 (BR walks).  F2 throws to F5 not in time to retire R2.  Defense appeals batting out of order before the next pitch.  What do you have?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

R2's steal of third stands.  Call the proper batter out, remove the improper batter from first base, and bring up the batter that follows the proper batter in the order.

In both sits do we invoke continuous action in allowing an appeal after a play?

The "appeal" of MYTAB is not subject to the restrictions governing missed base and retouch appeals.

Or, what comes to the same thing, it has its own restrictions (reviewed recently in another thread): OBR/NCAA = next pitch, FED = next pitch or infielders crossing foul lines at the end of a half inning.

So, to answer your question, no.

The "appeal" of MYTAB is not subject to the restrictions governing missed base and retouch appeals.

Or, what comes to the same thing, it has its own restrictions (reviewed recently in another thread): OBR/NCAA = next pitch, FED = next pitch or infielders crossing foul lines at the end of a half inning.

So, to answer your question, no.

I think we neglected to cover play or attempted play in that thread because it was not relevant to the thread's OP.

6.03 Batter Illegal Action

. . .

b) Batting out of turn

(3) When an improper batter becomes a runner or is put
out, and the defensive team appeals to the umpire before
the first pitch to the next batter of either team, or before
any play or attempted play
, the umpire shall (1) declare
the proper batter out; and (2) nullify any advance or
score made because of a ball batted by the improper bat-
ter or because of the improper batter’s advance to first
base on a hit, an error, a base on balls, a hit batter or
otherwise.

Edited by basejester

I think we neglected to cover it because it's not relevant to MYTAB. :)

The semantics of the rule are problematic. Play or attempted play is a criteria but a play on the batter after he becomes a runner is ignored:

(b) When an improper batter becomes a runner or is put out, and the defensive team appeals to the umpire before the first pitch to the next batter of either team, or before any play or attempted play, the umpire shall (1) declare the proper batter out; and (2) nullify any advance or score made because of a ball batted by the improper batter or because of the improper batter’s advance to first base on a hit, an error, a base on balls, a hit batter or otherwise. 

6.03 Batter Illegal Action

. . .

b) Batting out of turn

(3) When an improper batter becomes a runner or is put
out, and the defensive team appeals to the umpire before
the first pitch to the next batter of either team, or before
any play or attempted play
, the umpire shall (1) declare
the proper batter out; and (2) nullify any advance or
score made because of a ball batted by the improper bat-
ter or because of the improper batter’s advance to first
base on a hit, an error, a base on balls, a hit batter or
otherwise.

While I have a semantic issue with the rule I believe we do not consider playing on the stealing runner a play that would negate MYTAB. WUM has several examples. 

My question is what do we invoke?

BTW, in sit 2 with less than 2 outs the out and the MYTAB would stand. 

Edited by Jimurray

The semantics of the rule are problematic. Play or attempted play is a criteria but a play on the batter after he becomes a runner is ignored:

(b) When an improper batter becomes a runner or is put out, and the defensive team appeals to the umpire before the first pitch to the next batter of either team, or before any play or attempted play, the umpire shall (1) declare the proper batter out; and (2) nullify any advance or score made because of a ball batted by the improper batter or because of the improper batter’s advance to first base on a hit, an error, a base on balls, a hit batter or otherwise. 

I see what you're saying now. Right: playing on a runner stealing on ball 4 would leave the defense free to appeal MYTAB.

If the defense tries to pickoff the BR after he becomes R1, that would negate their right to appeal MYTAB.

And yes, I'd use "continuous action" as the rationale for allowing one and disallowing the other.

BTW, in sit with less than 2 outs the out and the MYTAB would stand. 

An easy way to process this together with MYTAB: if R2 would have been allowed to stay at 3B had he been ruled safe, then his out will count when he's ruled out. If he would have been returned to 2B, then his out will not count.

Example: same situation, but with R1, R2. Runners steal on ball 4: when the defense successfully appeals MYTAB, the proper batter is out, and the runners must return, whether they were ruled safe or out after the steal attempt.