LL Regional - Coach assist ends the game

johnnyg08
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3169 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

This was a very educational video for me. I never would have even though to make that call on this and probably would have (or may have) overlooked that small push but the call makes sense now that I've seen it. Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

The rule prohibits physically assisting the runner. Some folks mistakenly interpret that to mean coach cannot touch him, but that's not what it says (the high 5 to the kid who just hit a dinger is perfectly legal).

Assisting him doing what? Running the bases, of course: if coach stops him or starts him by touching him, then he has violated the rule. It's not about how "big" the push is, but rather its purpose.

Remember that the ball remains live, and the defense may play on other runners (though that's immaterial in the video).

@Maven thanks, that's very helpful. Our regular season games don't count for anything, it's more like a glorified practice. Is this something that should be called regular season (non fed, lower I mean) or is it an Ooo? I would think that a regular season game would be the time to call this and "train" the coaches not to do it. I'm positive I've missed this quite a few times now that I'm thinking about it. Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Umpires calling time on this play for no reason would be the LL BS.

The reason to call time was that it was requested when play was relaxed. After what had just had happened, what reason would there be to not grant that request. Obviously everyone on defense needed to settle down, they requested TIME to do so. If that isn't a good enough reason, then that umpire is an OOO UOO.

The reason to call time was that it was requested when play was relaxed. After what had just had happened, what reason would there be to not grant that request. Obviously everyone on defense needed to settle down, they requested TIME to do so. If that isn't a good enough reason, then that umpire is an OOO UOO.

You think LL is crap but you want to help settle down the players? Tell me you don't "brief" the new pitcher in a game to settle him down. Two players put their hands up and got no response. You don't kill the ball because the defense can't throw or catch. You do grant time if they have a reason to ask which would be to talk to the pitcher which was not apparrent in the OP.

You think LL is crap but you want to help settle down the players? Tell me you don't "brief" the new pitcher in a game to settle him down. Two players put their hands up and got no response. You don't kill the ball because the defense can't throw or catch. You do grant time if they have a reason to ask which would be to talk to the pitcher which was not apparrent in the OP.

Well, I'll ignore your condescending BS question about whether I brief a new F1. Lets get down to your reason for not granting TIME "You don't kill the ball because the defense can't throw or catch". F1 already had the ball...there was no throw needed to be made (video 2:05-2:50). So if your BS reason is moot, why wouldn't you grant TIME ?

Well, I'll ignore your condescending BS question about whether I brief a new F1. Lets get down to your reason for not granting TIME "You don't kill the ball because the defense can't throw or catch". F1 already had the ball...there was no throw needed to be made (video 2:05-2:50). So if your BS reason is moot, why wouldn't you grant TIME ?

To start with, there were runners on the bases. But your response explains why the defense thought there was time. Apparentely, in some areas of the country, or when umpires do both SP softball and baseball, when a play is done we all put out hands up and the players and umpires get to reposition. I think UE has a thread about granting time. Try searching it. Ahd, of couse, why would you grant time? To let the defense heart rate to recover?

Edited by Jimurray

why would you grant time? To let the defense heart rate to recover?

So now that your BS reason to not grant TIME have been weighed, measured and found wanting, you want to speculate about other reasons that you wouldn't grant TIME (nice try turning this into a SB difference problem...but I ain't buying it).

"TIME, sir, that play just made me crap my sliding shorts". "NO".  

BTW letting the "defense heart rate to recover" is often always a reason where TIME is granted. You see it all the time...pitching coaches/teammates going out to try to calm F1 down...and it's good enough reason for me.

@Maven thanks, that's very helpful. Our regular season games don't count for anything, it's more like a glorified practice. Is this something that should be called regular season (non fed, lower I mean) or is it an Ooo? I would think that a regular season game would be the time to call this and "train" the coaches not to do it. I'm positive I've missed this quite a few times now that I'm thinking about it. Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Sure we should call it. Do we ignore baserunners passing each other or missing bases?

Now, there are bound to be borderline cases: cases where we don't have a good angle and are not sure there was contact, cases of contact that might not rise to the level of physical assistance, and so forth. When we see that, I'd recommend ruling on it: if it's nothing, point, signal safe, and verbalize "That's nothing!" Don't keep your rulings secret on the goofy stuff. Chances are, if we saw it then so did somebody on the other team.

Then follow up with coach to explain the out that almost was.

As for being officious: like OBS or INT, we want this infraction to be "big," so that everyone (who knows the rule) recognizes it, regardless of rooting interest. (MC has to be correspondingly "huge" for to be called well.) Leave the ticky-tack alone and we'll be fine.

And, for future reference, the phrase we want for one coach or the other is: "Coach, in my judgment that contact did/did not rise to the level of physical assistance." You mention FED, but this rule is the same in all codes.

I've already said I'll give them time if it's for a good reason. In the OP two players wanted time with no inclination of going to the pitcher. The pitcher was not on the rubber and runners could still attempt advancing.