Lumping replies into one post.

Rich Ives
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3152 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

If you are talking about "quoting more than one post," then I disagree.  I like this feature and think it makes the threads easier to read.

That's not what he's talking about.  Try replying to the original post.  Then immediately after that reply to another post.  The software is sticking those replies together into one post, which may or may not make any sense for a particular context, but is certainly not what the poster communicated.

• Like 1

This "feature" only occurs on the "Ask The Umpire" section, wherein an answer – a singular answer – can be "upvoted" or "rated" so as to be pushed to the top of the page and regarded as the "best answer". 

This is Quora-style. Quora only allows a user to answer once (so one post) per posed question. This forces users to compose their answer as concisely and appropriately (to the question) as possible. There aren't any flame-wars or Tête à Têtes started, where a few posters go back and forth and get off the essence of the question...

... like we seem to do often here. ;)

So if you try and add an additional post in a short time frame on a posed question, this forum will blend the two posts into one. Granted, a great deal of the time, these questions need clarification, but that's the nature of the beast (at least this one). Otherwise, the best answer often ends up towards the bottom of the page, if not on additional pages, where it gets lost amongst the banter.

We've got a couple of different things going on here. 

1. Lumping replies into one post. - This was a default setting that if you reply to the same topic within X amount of time it merged them - I have disabled this. Thanks for letting me know this was an issue.
  2. As for the Ask the Umpire section, I put that section in this format specifically so that readers can quickly see what has been selected as better answers by our members. The intent of that section isn't really discussion/debate, just question - answer. These responses won't be chronological. 
  • Like 1

2. As for the Ask the Umpire section, I put that section in this format specifically so that readers can quickly see what has been selected as better answers by our members. The intent of that section isn't really discussion/debate, just question - answer. These responses won't be chronological. 

I like emphasizing the best answer.  That makes a lot of sense, especially for marathon threads.  When we're still sorting it out, I don't think it helps to sort a comment with a 2 rating ahead of a 1 rating.  The distinction between a question and a "normal" topic is not that strong, as many topics have some sort of question in them.  (What do you think?  Do you agree with this call?  Do you think any announcer is a bigger wanker than this guy?)  I'm very accustomed to the chronological sorting from a variety of settings and personally find it (momentarily) confusing when the posts are sorted by rank.

The "Ask The Umpire" section could use a little more distinctiveness, but it's the only section (I'm aware of) that allows Guests to post without registration. For this, we need a Best Answer.

Traditionally (or habitually), we U-E regulars posit a question or a survey or a musing, and then the answers start rolling in. Some are incredibly short, some are knee-jerk, some are concise and insightful, and some are overly verbose (mine. ;) ). Then there are some who post one-or-two word "enhancements", or "pile on" and just repeat or endorse the answer already posted by somebody else, thereby inflating their post counts.

We regulars either "Like" an answer-post, or we quote it and do "^^^^^^^^^^ THIS!!!". We know the mechanics of other sections, we're used to it... And our threads go on for pages and pages and pages.

But Guests, unfamiliar with U-E, just need the Best Answer, and it deserves to be propelled to the top of the page, even if it came in the 11th hour, or after one of us actually looked it up and researched it. ;)

So, toss chronology aside on this section. Make your mark dark, and give it your best (one) shot on an answer... @maven will likely be right anyways. ;)

• Like 4

Awesome answer @MadMax 

I am going to put a sticky on the Ask the Umpire Section noting the point and purpose. 

I have put in a product suggestion to the software company to allow members to have full control on their individual default settings so if you want to see that section in chronological order vs how high it was voted up then you can. 

No telling if the suggestion will be incorporated into future development, but it doesn't hurt to try.