Verbalizing "No Catch" on D3K Causes Problems

Mudder
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3148 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

On a dropped 3rd strike I always signal the safe mechanic, and verbalize "strike 3",  and if its close, like short hopped by the catcher, or dropped and falls close to the catcher where its not obvious to all I also verbalize "No catch".  Earlier in the year the BR did not run cause he thought I called no pitch.  Then again this past week it happened again, on a D3K F2 does not throw when BR takes off, and F2 responds to his coach's screams to throw the ball with "ump said no pitch",  I yell out "I said No Catch", F2 then throws to 1B, but its late and wild. Would have easily been the 3rd out.  Instead 3 or 4 more runs come in to score that inning.  they eventually lose the game by a couple of runs

No other umpires that I know of include the "No Catch" verbalization, so I'm guessing players are not used to hearing it so it must confuse them.  Should I stop saying it?

I just signal safe too.  It's on the BR to be aware of D3K.

The problem with only a signal is that the only 2 players who really need to know our ruling — the batter and the catcher — usually won't see the signal, since they're facing away from us.

If players all hear "no pitch," then perhaps you need to speak more clearly, or remove your mask, or speak louder. The mechanic is proper: if players don't respond appropriately, I recommend that you raise your voice and repeat until they do.

I certainly would not allow 1 weird outcome put me off a proper mechanic.

• Like 2

Verbalize the "No Catch" with the safe mechanic loud enough for the BR and F2 to hear you. The right fielder doesn't need to hear it, he's not even paying attention anyway. When would an umpire even say "no pitch", I can't think of a time I have said that.

As @maven and @DVA7130 have said:

DO verbalize "No catch" 

Swinging strike I say "That's Strike 3! (signal strike) No catch! (Signal Safe)" 

Called Strike 3 (Rare that it is not caught) I give my strike 3 mechanic, and then "No Catch!" with the safe signal. 

I come out to the left from behind the catcher, out of the catchers way and up into fair territory. Might have to watch for pulled foot or RLI or swipe tag if the batter is running.

That is how I was taught at my first clinic, and how I've been doing it since. 

I tell the catcher that he will hear me say "No Catch" on uncaught 3rd strike.  If that freaks the runner out, so be it...we are one out closer to home.  And he needs a better coach!

I give the safe mechanic then verbilize, "That's in the dirt!". It distinguishes it from my, "that's a catch" on fly ball outs. Also I get out and watch for the RLV. It's almost 100% the BR will run on the wrong side at some levels. Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

To be clear:

"No Catch!" followed by a half safe is the taught, standard, and approved mechanic. If the catcher can't understand then it is on him.

What the hell is "half safe"? Does that mean it was half uncaught?

What the hell is "half safe"? Does that mean it was half uncaught?

I think he is referring to the right hand extended out like you would when you point a strike and keeping it there until the throw is made. 

1. There is no reason to give any verbal on any swinging strike, even if it is strike three, other than if it is a check swing and you need to verbalize "Yes he did". 

2. You definitely should give the "No catch" verbal if there is any question, in addition to the safe signal. Like someone said, the batter and catcher need a verbal so they know the status of the ball. 

Edited by zm1283
  • Like 2

With all due respect, when did vocalizing 'no catch' on strike three become and accepted mechanic? It is not correct to do IMO.

Edited by jkumpire

I think he is referring to the right hand extended out like you would when you point a strike and keeping it there until the throw is made. 

Then it is not a "half safe" then.``

I have worked with recent pro school grads who did not use this mechanic.

Are we going to start verbalizing "Fair Ball" on hits down the line? I have never seen or heard this in an MLB game either.

This is an awful mechanic, and while I try very hard to use the latest mechanics I'll never do this., 

Are we going to start verbalizing "Fair Ball" on hits down the line? I have never seen or heard this in an MLB game either.

This is an awful mechanic, and while I try very hard to use the latest mechanics I'll never do this., 

Why is it an awful mechanic?

As a BU on a trap ball in the outfield do you signal safe and declare "No Catch"? 

If you don't, you're doing it wrong. 

That is the closest situation to the U3K, not a fair ball. Of course we don't declare fair ball.

As a BU on a trap ball in the outfield do you signal safe and declare "No Catch"? 

If you don't, you're doing it wrong. 

That is the closest situation to the U3K, not a fair ball. Of course we don't declare fair ball.

I've been staying out of this discussion because I do something different, by looking at this from the "other perspective"... Let me explain by getting these definite points out of the way...

• On a Strike Three Looking, my punch-out (Pro Approved! :D ) is straight back, and my verbal is "STRIKETHREE!". There is no mention of "Out" and that step back allows me to see a bigger picture of what's going on, especially if the ball is on the ground (catcher butchered an easy one). 
  • On a Strike Three Swinging, my mechanic would be a simple closed-fist-jab-hammer-tap. If it's an obvious swing through, no verbal. If it's a Foul Tip, or if it's one of these sweeping curve balls but the F2 did keep it off the ground and caught it, I will vocalize "Caught!" with that simple Out mechanic. If I need input from my BU, it's a quick glance at him to see if he's got the Open-Hand "Paper" (Uncaught) or Closed-Fist "Rock" (Caught) signal. If closed-fist, that confirms it for me, and I say "Caught" (and give the Out mechanic).
  • On a Strike Three Swinging, wherein the ball is Uncaught (obvious, my observation, or my BU gives the Paper signal), I don't say anything. The only vocalization I will do is "Yes he did" (if I judge that the batter swung) or "Did he go?" (if I need to make an appeal).

I look at this from a "Innocent until proven guilty" perspective - "Third strike is uncaught until proven (or obviously shown) otherwise". In my experience, most batters are aware enough to notice a ball on the ground, or skipped in, or the catcher fumbling and scrambling for it, and will take off for 1B. If I (and/or with my BU's input) deem that it is, indeed, caught, then I say and signal so.

I understand the purpose of the "Safe" mechanic, but that is tied to the "Third strike is normally caught, but here's the proof this one isn't" perspective. Again, I see the purpose, but don't see the necessity. Especially when the Safe mechanic, and a corresponding "No catch! No catch" vocalization is just adding additional "baggage" to the load.

• Like 1

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3148 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.