More fun with Obstruction....

Thunderheads
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3190 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Did the ball go into the dugout? I looks like it may have, in the video. And, the umpires signaled obstruction, then called time after signaling obstruction, probably because the ball entered the dugout. All of which would be appropriate for type b obstruction with the throw going out of play. (And I suppose it's type 2 obstruction in the new OBR numbering system.)

If you watch the view from the dugout, U3 follows the ball as it goes toward dead ball territory. I'm not sure he actually saw the OBS, so I can see why U2 called it. 

If you watch the view from the dugout, U3 follows the ball as it goes toward dead ball territory. I'm not sure he actually saw the OBS, so I can see why U2 called it. 

Maybe you're right.  I see him with his hands up, and I thought he was making (or about to make) the OBS / award call, but maybe it's just the "dead ball" (sic) call.  If U3 doesn't have the call, I'd give first crack to PU.

Not a big deal since there are no other runners and all the umpires should have an opinion on the play (this one is obvious, but you can conceive of a similar play where maybe some discussion is needed), but I'd rather U2 wait to see if U3 / PU had it before stepping up with the point.