Got one on Sunday

dl1340
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3141 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I was a trial attorney and a prosecutor for 15 years. There are certain actions that justify certain other actions.  I'd take my chances that a jury where I reside would do the right thing. Every umpire I personally know in my neck of the woods would not accept being treated like that without retribution. I don't know what kind of people live where you live but I think the majority of people here would think I was justified. That includes law enforcement and prosecutors. I probably wouldn't even be charged. And one more thing. I am the guy who has absolutely nothing to lose financially. I gave it all to my ex wife. I don't own anything of significant value and I owe for what I do have. We call it being judgment proof.

Im actually a very dangerous guy when you think about it.

Dave Im a mild mannered guy, but Im with you. If someone spits at me and it misses, Im leaving and the game is over. If someone spits at me and it hits me, Im leaving, theyre leaving in the back of an ambulance, and the game is over. And the coach will be charged w battery w special circumstances (sports officials are protected under the same category as Law enforcement here in jersey).

Edited by BRUMP
  • Like 1

ok for us newbies, what it this one about?

@LMSANS is referring to an incident that happened two years ago in which I was an incredibly unstable rookie umpire and bopped a coach for running his mouth too far. BigUmpire is just being BigUmpire. 

• Like 1

Resorting to violence on the field sends a horrible message to youngsters, in my opinion.

Secondly, I'm not as sanguine as some of you about juries and the oxymoronic criminal justice system. In my experience as a public defender for 25 years, regardless of how or why the fight starts or who started it, the guy on the ground when the cops arrive is deemed "the victim" and the guy standing over him "the defendant." Yes, you might be exonerated at trial, but at what cost--financial, emotional, and in other ways? (Besides, the guy who gets loaded into the ambulance might be you, not the other guy.) In PA, the consequences of an arrest are severe and can result in a suspension of your participation until the criminal matter is resolved--sometimes, as much as a year, 18 months later.

Step back, call 911, put your mask back on, let the police do their job.

• Like 1

Don't say "one more word" if that's not what you mean, then don't say it.  

Think about how you will write your EJ report..."I told him not another word" or some version of that and he said "Thank you" and I had to eject him...same if you don't EJ after your fake warning. 

If you don't intend to enforce the literal meaning of "not another word" (and I submit to you that you shouldn't enforce it literally) then you need to choose another way to warn.